Newbie smart bulb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie smart bulb question

How do I know if a bulb I am choosing from Amazon is able to be controlled by homeseer and what plugin it might use? I am not really seeing Zwave smart bulbs, mostly bulbs that are WIFI.

I have HS-WX300 switches coming and each one of them will replace a combination decora switch which is a single gang decora switch split in half, controlling two different lights. Can I use these switches to directly control the load on one light with a standard bulb, and use a double tap to control a smart bulb in a different socket?

Originally posted by connexion View Post
    How do I know if a bulb I am choosing from Amazon is able to be controlled by homeseer and what plugin it might use? I am not really seeing Zwave smart bulbs, mostly bulbs that are WIFI.

I have HS-WX300 switches coming and each one of them will replace a combination decora switch which is a single gang decora switch split in half, controlling two different lights. Can I use these switches to directly control the load on one light with a standard bulb, and use a double tap to control a smart bulb in a different socket?
    Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by connexion View Post
      If you find a TUYA branded bulb that will work with the Tuya plugin. I use the plug sockets and they work well. Just search Amazon for TUYA

Comment

OK great. I found some TUYA RGBW bulbs and after reading other forum posts am hoping they will work on local control.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure they will be able to be "locally" controlled but are compatible with homeseer and there is almost no delay in controlling them. I run a DEConz server and use jowiehue plugin for most devices but the tuya devices are pretty good as long as your house isn't full of them. I use them for devices that I wouldn't miss if the internet was down.

In the past I have got frustrated with WiFi devices and always fall back to zigbee and zwave but the tuya devices are really stable.

Hope that makes sense.

Comment

Nick, I did get a few Tuya smart bulbs and they seem to work reliably. One thing I'm unclear about is your referencing Tuya being different than WiFi as these bulbs and the HS-SP100 smart plugs I got from Homeseer both operate using WiFi. I cannot get either of these devices to work on local control so far even though the HS-SP100's are advertised as such.

Comment

Hey. No iwas suggesting that any Tuya branded products will work through the tuya app. Therefore will work with homeseer as they have their own tuya plugin. All the tuya devices I have used are all wifi devices.

What I was trying to say is that getting any other WiFi devices may be problematic to connect to homeseer. I was also saying that because I'd have thought all the communication with the device would be through a Tuya server somewhere in the world they would not be able to work if the internet was down.

Hope that makes sense.

Comment

Ahh yes. that makes perfect sense. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

connexion , Just a little help. When you find a TUYA based bulb or any device that is TUYA, and uses the smartlife app, and it isn't working local is because spud does not have it included in his plugin. You cannot get local control if it isn't in the plugin. The reason the TUYA outlet is working is because it is already in the plugin. If you want something included in the TUYA plugin you have to create an event using that device and execute the event. Then go to the logs directory and find the TUYA.txt file. Make a zip file for it. Make a new thread in the TUYA sub-forum and include that zip file in your post. This is the best way we have found to get the info to spud. He is a busy guy.

Comment

Originally posted by nickgosling View Post
                    I'm not 100% sure they will be able to be "locally" controlled but are compatible with homeseer and there is almost no delay in controlling them. I run a DEConz server and use jowiehue plugin for most devices but the tuya devices are pretty good as long as your house isn't full of them. I use them for devices that I wouldn't miss if the internet was down.

In the past I have got frustrated with WiFi devices and always fall back to zigbee and zwave but the tuya devices are really stable.

Hope that makes sense.
                    Are you using smart bulbs with the combo of DEConz and the Jowiehue plug-in? Curious which ones if yes.

Comment

I only have 3. One RGB from Innr. The other 2 are Philips hue ones.

Comment

cowinger I am not yet familiar with the smartlife app and am using the Tuya app for the bulbs and for the outlets. The outlets were purchased directly from Homeseer and although they were advertised to work locally, I have yet to get that to work. These two issues are causing me grief because internet is spotty here and the past three days when Internet was down, my events did not control the bulbs and outlets. My Homeseer system is slated to be on a WiFi network with no Internet and as soon as I can get this working I will connect the system to that network/hotspot which is in place and covers the entire property.

I was told by support to have spud help me make the outlets work. Even though I have manually added the IP addresses of the outlets and they show local connection, when I disconnect Internet from the WiFi hotspot they are on they don't work. ...but that subject is in another post of mine and I'm headed there now to ask Spud for help.

Comment

Working...
                        X