Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading z-wave deadbolt recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading z-wave deadbolt recommendations?

I’ve have Kwikset z-wave deadbolts around my house, bought originally in 2014. They’re starting to show their age, and have some communications issues when trying to program them from HomeSeer (issues I didn’t have years ago). Am considering replacing them and looking for recommendations. What deadbolts have you had the most luck with?

Originally posted by paul View Post
    I’ve have Kwikset z-wave deadbolts around my house, bought originally in 2014. They’re starting to show their age, and have some communications issues when trying to program them from HomeSeer (issues I didn’t have years ago). Am considering replacing them and looking for recommendations. What deadbolts have you had the most luck with?
    I purchased a Yale Assure SL that has been working really well. Lots of positive reviews on the forum as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
    Plugin's:
    BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
    EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
    weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

I agree. Mine has been absolutely flawless.
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

My Yale's have been very reliable. Z-Wave plus..
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
        Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
        weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

I've had 3 Schlage BE469ZP z-wave plus deadbolts for over 2 years. Aside from being a bit finicky about initial inclusion, they've worked perfectly.
          -Wade

Comment

I try to stay out of these discussions, but....

I did intensive research when choosing my multiple locks for my house. Why I think the the Schlage Connect are better than the other residential grade locks out there:
            • First thing, I want the lock to be a strong lock. Schlage is ANSI Grade 1, Yale and the others are only ANSI Grade 2.
            • Still has a mechanical key in case the electronics fail (some Yale models have this also).
            • If you order through a good distributor (I used Build dot com) can get all the locks keyed alike on the same order, no extra charge.
            • Can get the lock with either Zigbee or Z-wave comm modules (same for Yale models).
            • Have several BE469's that are several years old, exposed to direct sunlight/heat summers and freezing winters (though behind storm doors), never failed.
            • I believe the tamper alarm on the Schlages is slightly better than the Yales, besides tampering with the keypad, will detect if someone tries to forcibly shove the door and activate built-in siren.

Just my 2-cents, YMMV.

Comment

Thanks all, I appreciate the input.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
                I try to stay out of these discussions, but....

I did intensive research when choosing my multiple locks for my house. Why I think the the Schlage Connect are better than the other residential grade locks out there:
                • First thing, I want the lock to be a strong lock. Schlage is ANSI Grade 1, Yale and the others are only ANSI Grade 2.
                • Still has a mechanical key in case the electronics fail (some Yale models have this also).
                • If you order through a good distributor (I used Build dot com) can get all the locks keyed alike on the same order, no extra charge.
                • Can get the lock with either Zigbee or Z-wave comm modules (same for Yale models).
                • Have several BE469's that are several years old, exposed to direct sunlight/heat summers and freezing winters (though behind storm doors), never failed.
                • I believe the tamper alarm on the Schlages is slightly better than the Yales, besides tampering with the keypad, will detect if someone tries to forcibly shove the door and activate built-in siren.

Just my 2-cents, YMMV.
                I appreciate that you decided not to stay out of the discussion, your feedback has me second guessing my choice of a Yale lock. It’s a great device….but the main purpose of a deadbolt is security and I wondered when I installed it why it didn’t seem as robust as the manual one I uninstalled. I may switch it out for a Schlage……

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                Plugin's:
                BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

I’ll also chime in in support of the Shlages. The initial inclusion is a bear… either include the lock before installation in the door or get a really long cat5 cable so you can position your znet within a foot of the lock.

but after that no issues. Our locks were installed at our old house in Arizona, where outside temps are routinely 115+. No issues. And since the lock isn’t motorized, the battery life is amazing.

one more datapoint. I installed a Schlage lever lock on an outside gate. So the inside part of the lock was actually outside as well. It survived Arizona summers, winters, and the infrequent but intense rain storm. We have since sold the house, but that lock was installed for 3+ years without issue. I was incredibly impressed.

Comment

Winters? in Arizona? Come to Canada, and we can talk about winters... lol. You got us beat on the summer temps though...

I'm curious, you're saying the lock isn't motorized?? Interesting. Which model or is that for all Shlages?
                    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                      Winters? in Arizona? Come to Canada, and we can talk about winters... lol. You got us beat on the summer temps though...
                      I was gonna say whenever it's freezing here in the US (0 deg C) my friends in Canada call that bikini weather.

Comment

A good point is made here - my kwikset locks do suffer a bit when temp gets really cold (ie -20c or more), though they do power through. I’m curious how other locks fair in genuinely cold weather…..

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                          I'm curious, you're saying the lock isn't motorized?? Interesting. Which model or is that for all Shlages?
                          Schlage has multiple models, and some of them are not motorized. I believe the model number of the non motorized ones are BE369, and the motorized ones are BE469.

As I recall, only the BE469s are rated ANSI level1, the BE369 were only rated at ANSI level2.

Comment

4 schlage motorized looks here in Canada, for 4-5 years, no problems. Wish we could change the codes thru Homeseer instead of going to each device my only complaint.

Comment

Originally posted by sbwright View Post
                              4 schlage motorized looks here in Canada, for 4-5 years, no problems. Wish we could change the codes thru Homeseer instead of going to each device my only complaint.
                              Why do you believe you can't change the codes through HS?? I've got several BE469's and change codes on all of them through HS. Unless you're talking about non-connected models?

Comment

Working...
                              X