Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ewkearns
    replied
    This is a totally inane logical argument about what can be found and what can't. That simply isn't the point. Considering the youtube channel, in the last 4 years there have been 8 HST videos, and only 3 of those mention HS4, and those assume that the viewer already understands how home automation works. The incomprehensible mishmash of the current documents is useless to somebody that comes to Homeseer Home Automation as a novice. It is a compendium of what Richard Feynman called "Obfuscating Generalities." It is like the frustration of a person trying to learn a foreign language and being sent to encyclopedias and dictionaries written in the foreign language for an explanation.

Speaking of Feynman, let's let him tell us what documentation should be and do in order to teach the reader...... here.

Leave a comment:

• jgreenberg01
    replied
    Originally posted by Adoormatt View Post

Total newbie here. I’ve been reading myself to sleep for days and days here in the community hoping to get answers to my many questions. I have learned very little other than I’m not the only one struggling to get the basic knowledge of HomeSeer. My advice is to start over. Sorry for the low blow, but I, as well as others in this forum, have read through the HS help pages, watched videos (both by HS and on YouTube) and reviewed countless screen shots. There are far more documents and videos that are outdated than there are current. I started with HS4 and most of what I find is about HS3. On that note, can I downgrade to HS3?

Some further suggestions would be to 1. offer webinars of different learning levels. Q&A at the end would also teach you what the newbies are struggling with. 2. Offer classes for a fee. I’ve wasted so many hours trying to learn this system it’d be far better for me to spend hundreds on some classes where I can just ask a question and get an answer.

If any of these are implemented PLEASE let me know!
    That's a great ide, but I would not expect that in the near future.

Ask your questions on the forum - there's a ton of knowledgeable and helpful people here.

Personally, I could not have gotten my system to where it is without help from the members of this forum.

And on another note - yes it was a steep learning curve nd a struggle - in the end though, it was worth every second! As always, YMMV

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by macromark View Post

When a new user purchases software or a hub from us, they get an email with links to all our help assets. They can also get them by clicking the "Help" link at the top of homeseer.com.

Likewise, if anyone visits our documentation site (docs.homeseer.com), the first link on that page is for the HS4 Knowledge Base. Clicking that opens another page with these links:
    • Getting Started
    • Core Features
    • Getting Help
    That said, if anyone has suggestion on how to simplify the journey for new users, let me know.
    Total newbie here. I’ve been reading myself to sleep for days and days here in the community hoping to get answers to my many questions. I have learned very little other than I’m not the only one struggling to get the basic knowledge of HomeSeer. My advice is to start over. Sorry for the low blow, but I, as well as others in this forum, have read through the HS help pages, watched videos (both by HS and on YouTube) and reviewed countless screen shots. There are far more documents and videos that are outdated than there are current. I started with HS4 and most of what I find is about HS3. On that note, can I downgrade to HS3?

Some further suggestions would be to 1. offer webinars of different learning levels. Q&A at the end would also teach you what the newbies are struggling with. 2. Offer classes for a fee. I’ve wasted so many hours trying to learn this system it’d be far better for me to spend hundreds on some classes where I can just ask a question and get an answer.

If any of these are implemented PLEASE let me know!

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Michael
    replied
    Yup. I'm blind. ☹

Leave a comment:

• TC1
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	128
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	1515272
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	128
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1515273

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by macromark View Post
    When a new user purchases software or a hub from us, they get an email with links to all our help assets. They can also get them by clicking the "Help" link at the top of homeseer.com.

Likewise, if anyone visits our documentation site (docs.homeseer.com), the first link on that page is for the HS4 Knowledge Base. Clicking that opens another page with these links:
    That said, if anyone has suggestion on how to simplify the journey for new users, let me know.
    Mark,
    I've tried following those links, but I have not found any that lead me to the YouTube channel. Perhaps that is an oversight, or maybe I'm just being dense, but IMHO the process should be easy enough to be obvious even to someone like me. How about an explicit link to "The HomeSeer YouTube Channel"?

I'm just thinking that a clear link to videos may address people with a learning style that is more aligned with a demonstration than with a descriptive document.

Leave a comment:

• macromark
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
    Rupp macromark rjh It seems a shame to go to the trouble to create videos to illustrate how HS can be used effectively, then provide no easy way for a new user to become aware that they exist. Is that intentional?

• Getting Started
    • Core Features
    • Getting Help

Leave a comment:

• TC1
    replied
    Umm Mike, there's a link to the videos on the Support Page: https://homeseer.com/support-home/

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by TC1 View Post
    Oh c'mon Mike, we all know HST is terrible when it comes to consistent documentation and communication. They are a perfect case study in how to not do it right.
    The only reason I'm able to find this stuff is because of my Google Fu and OCD-like research powers. I feel sorry for the newbies because the organization of information is really bad for the product. And it gets tiresome for the experienced users to see the same questions getting asked over and over again in these forums.
    Rupp macromark rjh It seems a shame to go to the trouble to create videos to illustrate how HS can be used effectively, then provide no easy way for a new user to become aware that they exist. Is that intentional?

Leave a comment:

• TC1
    replied
    All good suggestions, but I was trying to get at the route a new user might take to find these. I couldn't find a link to the videos when I checked the help pages, so I'm wondering if that's just because I'm blind or if they are really not there.
    Oh c'mon Mike, we all know HST is terrible when it comes to consistent documentation and communication. They are a perfect case study in how to not do it right.

The only reason I'm able to find this stuff is because of my Google Fu and OCD-like research powers. I feel sorry for the newbies because the organization of information is really bad for the product. And it gets tiresome for the experienced users to see the same questions getting asked over and over again in these forums.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by TC1 View Post
    I don't work for Homeseer so that's a question for them. Or you might want to see for yourself? Or just subscribe to the Homeseer channel on YouTube? https://www.youtube.com/c/HomeSeer
    All good suggestions, but I was trying to get at the route a new user might take to find these. I couldn't find a link to the videos when I checked the help pages, so I'm wondering if that's just because I'm blind or if they are really not there.

Leave a comment:

• TC1
    replied
    Excellent! Is there are link to these on the HS help pages?
    I don't work for Homeseer so that's a question for them. Or you might want to see for yourself? Or just subscribe to the Homeseer channel on YouTube? https://www.youtube.com/c/HomeSeer

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Michael
    replied
    Excellent! Is there are link to these on the HS help pages?

Leave a comment:

• TC1
    replied
    Do any of them cover HS4? I couldn't find a link to them anymore on the help page. Is it gone or did I just miss it?
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=homeseer+hs4

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
    Don't forget there are Homeseer training videos on Youtube.
    Do any of them cover HS4? I couldn't find a link to them anymore on the help page. Is it gone or did I just miss it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X