Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z-Wave Node (Dimmer switch) missing and recovered

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Z-Wave Node (Dimmer switch) missing and recovered

    Writing this because I am wondering how this can happen: I am running HS4 with HomeSeer SmartStick+ G2 and an old wired Z-Net. Yesterday, I found that a lamp module (Jasco), which has been in use for about 2 years, was not turning off as part of an event. Then, I found that the device was missing from the list of devices and from the list of Z-wave nodes. I have a GoControl switch that has been associated with this lamp module and I could control the lamp module with GoControl. So, the lamp module was still working. In order to have this lamp module back as a device to control, I had to add a new device with the Z-Wave plugin. A new device was created with the old node number.
    I am mainly curious and concerned, why this might have happened and hoping it doesn't happen with other nodes. Thanks, Elliott
    "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux."
    S. Higgenbotham, 2023

    #2
    If you look through the zwave subforum, you will find several threads about zwave devices that seem to disappear but still work, or stop working completely, or partially work, and on and on. It happens to me about once per year. I believe it is caused by corruption of HS files related to zwave. I don't know why this happens to zwave so much more than my other plugins, but it does, and it is quite annoying.

    My best advice is to save a series of backups of your HS program directory (e.g., use BLBackup) so you can restore last known working files when this zwave corruption happens.
    Mark

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Mark S. View Post
      If you look through the zwave subforum, you will find several threads about zwave devices that seem to disappear but still work, or stop working completely, or partially work, and on and on. It happens to me about once per year. I believe it is caused by corruption of HS files related to zwave. I don't know why this happens to zwave so much more than my other plugins, but it does, and it is quite annoying.

      My best advice is to save a series of backups of your HS program directory (e.g., use BLBackup) so you can restore last known working files when this zwave corruption happens.
      Thank you.
      "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux."
      S. Higgenbotham, 2023

      Comment

      Working...
      X