Notify HS4 of WiFi device appearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notify HS4 of WiFi device appearance

I have Ubiquity WiFi Access Points and Ubiquity router (EdgeMax).
    Is there a way to notify HS4 when a device known by its static IP address joins the WiFi.
    For example my iPhone connects to my local WiFi upon arrival at home.

Thanks,
    Thedude

Check out jon00 rcnm
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...or-hs2-hs3-hs4

Comment

There is a Unifi plugin which may do this, and it could also be done using Node-RED and the node-red-contrib-unifi contrib. I use this second method to notify me when someone connects to my Guest network and to report the connected device(s) via email.
      Karl S
      HS4Pro on Windows 10
      1070 Devices
      56 Z-Wave Nodes
      104 Events
      HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
      Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

ksum

Would you please elaborate how do you do it with Node Red. I did install all 5 nodes related to Unifi but stopped there as I can't understand which one to use and how. I'm a rookie as far as Node Red goes. Step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (473).png
Views:	309
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1516386

Comment

If you router can send it’s log via syslog it can be done with bllogmonitor plugin and some tweak to rsyslog

Comment

Originally posted by Thedude View Post
            ksum

Would you please elaborate how do you do it with Node Red. I did install all 5 nodes related to Unifi but stopped there as I can't understand which one to use and how. I'm a rookie as far as Node Red goes. Step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated.
            I will be away from a computer for a couple days. Will do a write-up then. It would involve polling the router then using 2 Split nodes to separate out each connected device and then using a Switch node to look for the static IP and passing that message through.
            Karl S
            HS4Pro on Windows 10
            1070 Devices
            56 Z-Wave Nodes
            104 Events

Comment

Assuming you are using Unifi Network, you could use my Unifi HS4 plugin: https://shop.homeseer.com/products/s...plugin-for-hs4
              stefxx

Comment

ksum

Thanks for the note. Enjoy your time away from computers :-)

Comment

pistacheL0

I guess it is possible to be done that way but not practical, as it requires quite a bit of data to be moved around and processed every few seconds. The few seconds requirement comes from the fact that the tracking must be in real time. The same thing applies to the NodeRed solution, however NodeRed has few advantages - it runs on a separate server and will not load HS4 machine and NodeRed has many more tools at disposal. I even hope that with some creativity we can avoid the polling altogether but I don't want to set my expectations too high.

Comment

Any of the network monitoring plug-ins will do this. Jon00’s rccnm, BLLan and UltraMon3. The UniFi plug-in will do it as well, but I believe it does not work with the EdgeRouter, only with a USG or UDM. One thing to note is that IOS devices intermittently connect, they do not remain connected. Here are devices from Ultramon3. Michelle’s mini was connected to a power supply until she began using it this morning, so it has been online the longest. When they’re not powered, they just check in to WiFi periodically.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A7A75A6A-57EB-421B-B951-1267BAA7E4A4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	84.3 KB ID:	1516528
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I have been experimenting with the same thing and, for now anyway, found that Jon00's utility as @randy above shows, works well.

I've incorporated it into my HSTouch screens like in this example:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor Plan-Clients.png
Views:	307
Size:	643.5 KB
ID:	1516585

The buttons on the left show what each Wi-Fi device that I want to track is doing. I use Jon00's utility to trigger events that change the status of virtual devices for each Wi-Fi device.

The colors tell me what their network status is:
                      • Red - not connected to router or to HS4 via internet
                      • Yellow - connected to router, but not logged in to HS4
                      • Green - connected to router and logged in to HS4
                      • Blue - connected to HS4 via internet (not at home)

Handling the HS4 login status (and tracking the current screen) is a separate topic, but I found Jon00's utility to be really responsive for LAN connections. BLLan works too, but in my case the device status took longer to register.

To add to what randy said, it's not just iOS devices that connect intermittently. Some Android smartphones do the same thing.

When they arrive home, they connect to the router immediately. If the screen is off though, you can see them connect/disconnect intermittently. I assume it's a power-saving scheme built-in to the phones.

Constantly powered Android devices rarely drop the router connection from what I can tell.

I was going to try the Node-Red route, but since I got it to work completely under the HS4 umbrella, I decided to not make it more complicated than it already is. YMMV of course.

Comment

Call me stupid but I can't find plug-in with name rccnm or RCCNM or Rccnm. How to find and install the damn thing?

Comment

ksum

Making good progress with Node-Red's Unifi node. I can poll the Unifi controller now and obtain a long JSON with information of all APs and ALL devices on the network. I can send this info to HS4 and process it with Big6 PI, that is very good at parsing JSON. Not happy with this though as it adds significant extra burden to HS4. I need to do that every few seconds so that device detection is close to real time.
                          The task at hand now is to process the JSON locally at Node-Red (separate server than HS4) and to pass the information to HS4 only when monitored device(s) appear/disappear on the LAN. This is a bit beyond me as I'm Node-Red rookie, but I'm sure it is doable.

Comment

The output from the unifi node should be an object with msg.paylaod being made up of a nested array. The node should be dry to get SiteStats for this output. Pass it through 2 Split nodes with default settings and you should then have a message for each attached device. From there, a Switch node set with the property looking at msg.payload.static_ip (guessing on the static IP entry, a debug node can be used to find this). This should then look for your static IP.

I can say that from experience, expect up to 30 second, maybe more, before you get output matching what you are looking for. This has been the case on my watch for attachments to my guest network. I polled every 2 seconds.
                            Karl S
                            HS4Pro on Windows 10
                            1070 Devices
                            56 Z-Wave Nodes
                            104 Events

Comment

Originally posted by Thedude View Post
                              Call me stupid but I can't find plug-in with name rccnm or RCCNM or Rccnm. How to find and install the damn thing?
                              The full name is "Jon00 Remote Computer Control & Network Monitor for Homeseer 3 & Homeseer 4"

Just search for "Network Monitor".

Comment

Working...
                              X