Need basic understanding of Z-Wave protocol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George View Post

No we don't agree, Unless Rich rjh says it may be a software issue, which I have personally not heard of on a Nortek, then no, I personally do not agree.
    You said that HomeSeer data elements are potentially wiped out. I would think that Rich is able to save the data and then give the option to add it back. With HomeSeer data elements I mean the following. Maybe I misunderstood but Rich definitely has control over the data elements as far as status graphics and values in the status tab. These are HomeSeer - not zwave - data elements. Sounds to me that he is just resetting the HomeSeer device values back to default which it subjectively should not if a user changed the grafic, etc. At least give the option. Of course, programmatically it is just easier for the developer to wipe everything back to defaults rather than save some of the customizations that a user potentially spent a lot of time custom configuring:

And BTW, if you happen to edit any of the Status graphics or values in the Status Tab, Doing a Rescan in the Z-Wave tab will gnarffle any changes or customization you've you've done in the tab including wiping out any custom graphics you've defines or control ranges.
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post

You said that HomeSeer data elements are potentially wiped out. I would think that Rich is able to save the data and then give the option to add it back. With HomeSeer data elements I mean the following. Maybe I misunderstood but Rich definitely has control over the data elements as far as status graphics and values in the status tab. These are HomeSeer - not zwave - data elements. Sounds to me that he is just resetting the HomeSeer device values back to default which it subjectively should not if a user changed the grafic, etc. At least give the option. Of course, programmatically it is just easier for the developer to wipe everything back to defaults rather than save some of the customizations that a user potentially spent a lot of time custom configuring:
      Yes, that is my experience. When you do a Rescan, try it on one of your ZWave devices that you haven't heavily modified, you'll see that the graphics, and also that status pairs (at least on my HS3 system, I don't know if you have HS4 but it would be a good test) are reset back to what they were when the device was originally added. Also, if you manually deleted some child devices from a multi-child device, they will magically reappear as well. Looks like a Rescan just does what an inclusion does without assigning a new node id. Also if you deleted any of the pairs or single controls (like 255 LAST) if you didn't want it, 255 comes back from the grave!

You can try it yourself and let us know what you're experience might be?

And, as I'm on HS3, I'm not holding any of my breath that an update might be able to save the status and graphic paths and restore them.

Comment

Just to wrap up this debacle: I had a USB extension cord and per George's comment, I plugged the USB stick into that. I restarted my computer (Windows 10 + HS4) and... it worked. The z-wave switch now responds to HS commands no matter where I put it in the house.

I have no idea what was wrong. But I can now understand why you all were so incredulous that I was having the issues I described. So, in the end, all is good. Thanks so much for taking the time to help. Especially, George who gave me so much useful information.

Have a great New Year, everybody!

Comment

Glad you got it sorted.

Comment

Gprev My guess is that the USB stick was likely picking up noise from either the PC or power supply. Seen this sort of thing all too often with RF devices.
            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
              Gprev My guess is that the USB stick was likely picking up noise from either the PC or power supply. Seen this sort of thing all too often with RF devices.
              Had a similar issue using USB stick directly plugged into the PC. But in the end I went with a Z-Net and all fine!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X