z-wave/zigbee IR receiver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

z-wave/zigbee IR receiver?

So I'm looking to add some automations to my living room and elsewhere that are based off of actions sent from IR remotes (TV, etc) without having to get a bunch of extra hubs and/or smart remotes (especially with Harmony EOL having been announced).

Does there exist a standalone z-wave or zigbee device that can RECEIVE (I know that smart IR blasters/repeaters exist) an IR signal, and then trigger a scene/event or status change?

It seems right now that the path of least resistance would be to use a flirc plugged into an rpi assuming the magic bullet device I'm looking for doesn't exist.

I did this research about a couple of months ago and came to the conclusion that the magic bullet device does not exist. Z-wave and TCP/IP based transmitters are plentiful but I have yet to find a similar receiver. As you noted, solution is something that will be RPi or Arduino based with a little coding involved.

Comment

It seems the Z-Uno 2 from Z-Wave.me is capable of doing this. Amazon Link

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_2021-12-30_21-39-25.png Views:	0 Size:	153.8 KB ID:	1517531Click image for larger version  Name:	z-uno.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.4 KB ID:	1517532

Comment

Would love to see someone tackle this. I'd be willing to contribute as I have played with Arduino's, not so much Rpi's, and XCode has great support for the Arduino and it's sketches. We can play with and collaborate over GitHub. But I'm an old hack, someone would have to get or find a library for decoding IR.

And Roger D , I can drive down and you can buy me some Cinci Chili, or better yet, Montgomery Inn Ribs!! Yum!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger D View Post
          It seems the Z-Uno 2 from Z-Wave.me is capable of doing this. Amazon Link

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_2021-12-30_21-39-25.png Views:	0 Size:	153.8 KB ID:	1517531Click image for larger version Name:	z-uno.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.4 KB ID:	1517532
          Yeah I've been following that product for a bit, figured it would be a fun trinket to start learning arduino coding on eventually. I did find this project after a bit of searching, so it seems the software decoding aspect is fairly fleshed out already, it would just be a matter of making it play nicely with the Z-uno and creating the devices or triggers in HS.

Comment

George,

Skyline Chili :-)

There is an online configurator for the Z-Uno that makes it even easier. I have the 1st generation Z-Uno and I'll finally have my version 2 tomorrow! I've been waiting nearly a year for this one to come out.

I might just tackle that for you :-) What brand remote were you planning on using? Would need to verify the carrier frequency.

Roger D

Comment

Roger,

I have a couple of ways,

The main one, which I know you don't want to hear, is the "Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote". Which, as you know, is a user group beloved broadband IR remote and I use it to control:
              • Denon X4500H AVR
              • Sony XBR 77" OLED Master Series A9G
              • Dish Network Hopper 3
              • Apple TV
              • Panasonic BluRay UHD DVD
              • NVidia Shield (But I'm moving away from it as there's not much I can't do anymore with the Apple TV)
              • Amazon Fire TV Cube with IR option
              I've also got a Harmony Hub that I use the MieHarmonyHub plugin to send commands from HS3 to any/all the above devices automatically.

I had a Harmony Elite but it bit the dust a few months back but with the MeiHarmonyHub plugin and Dan's great ZHome Plus (ZHome +) , I can trigger any of the Harmony commands to any device from my iPhone using ZHome +; I've exposed all the devices/commands and child devices that the plugin creates to ZHome +. If I want further scheduled or triggered automation, I've written some events that also control my devices as scenes.

So as a guinea pig, at least, I'd probably make the nightmare user. Satisfy the above and there's nothing the Uno couldn't do!

My guess is that it would be an Arduino sketch that receives the commands and then sends them via IP or maybe USB depending on the separation of the UNO and the IR receiver (which are a dime a dozen). USB could be preferred as it could be treated as pseudo serial and not have the hassle or reliance on another layer for the IP transport protocols.

Oh well, thy mouth runneth over. If you want to chat and shoot the -___ PM me and we can setup a time to chat.

G

Comment

Here using

http://www.usbuirt.com/overview.htm

For that same purpose.

And IR repeaters if you need to extend reception reach. (Can easily be modified if you need longer wires)

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B01N1F8U58/

It is supported via BLUSBUIRT and DRULE plugins.

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                  My guess is that it would be an Arduino sketch that receives the commands and then sends them via IP or maybe USB depending on the separation of the UNO and the IR receiver (which are a dime a dozen). USB could be preferred as it could be treated as pseudo serial and not have the hassle or reliance on another layer for the IP transport protocols.
                  The sensor itself should be able to interface directly with the Z-Uno since it has the same GPIO setup as a standard Uno. That way a Z-Uno lives wherever such capability is needed and there's no need to add extra cables or protocol translations.

Roger D If I'm reading the documentation properly, each channel on the Z-uno refers to a individual z-wave device able to be configured, correct? That would allow for a substantial amount of IR commands to be used, especially if you got cheeky and configured a multilevel sensor's properties to have each level increment assigned to an IR code, then turn around and create an event/script in HS that would trigger a device/event when it sees that value on the sensor. It also seems you can define the granularity of the sensor's levels, so with that method you could have thousands of IR commands that would be interpreted using just a single channel! And that would be more than enough to cover every button across multiple remotes for people like us that utilize Harmony remotes.

Comment

George,

The Z-Uno can trigger scenes directly using Z-Wave.

It has an IR scanner that can learn any code needed.

I have a Harmony Elite that I've never really used that I can use for testing.

Roger D

Comment

Originally posted by Roger D View Post
                      George,

The Z-Uno can trigger scenes directly using Z-Wave.

It has an IR scanner that can learn any code needed.

I have a Harmony Elite that I've never really used that I can use for testing.

Roger D
                      Great, now we just have to figure out how to structure the scenes. Probably a scene child for "each" controlled device and then in the status value a list of scene values that correspond to the button pressed? The problem is just when to issue the trigger to HS. With a rapid fire remote, like any of the automated Harmony's, just pressing an activity on the remote can send 3-15 IR commands to different devices withing a few seconds.

Example,

Power on AVR
                      Power on TV
                      Power on/wake up DIsh Network
                      Set TV to HDMI-3
                      Set AVR to Input SAT
                      Set Dish channel to 3 1 0 (Each digit is a separate IR code)
                      Set AVR to Mode Dolby Digital MultiChannel

That would be a ton of received IR commands. And a ton of scene value triggers.
                      Just what would be the trigger presented to the HS event engine that the user can look for?
                      (Thinking out loud without really sleeping on it).

There would be at least two classes I would think. A device status class i.e. (AVR ON/OFF - AVR Input mode), sort of what like the BLDenon plugin goes. A device is created for each state.

Then actual Triggers and when they would be issued.

The majority of the above can easily be handled with just virtual devices and the user can trigger on a virtual device state change or 'Becomes....'

The channel change, fast forward, rewind, Pause, Play, Rec, etc. would have to be actual triggers that the user can look for.
                      And the actual channel change is tricky. Trigger on each and every digit? Or, probably, accumulate the digits and after a timeout or a different function (not a digit) issue set the virtual device who's channel was changed (TV, AVR, Cable Box, etc.) with the resultant channel and then issue a Channel has changed on the child device?

This can easy or messy. I doubt people would want tons of virtual devices for each function of each of their real devices.

Need to mull on this after I get from under the Asti buzz! LOL

Happy New Year!

Comment

Here also using UsbUIRT, but it's plugged in to a RPi using VirtualHere to give me a LAN network USB extender to the remote HS4 pc. Works very well for receiving IR to trigger HS4 events, as well as sending out IR commands. It is all getting rather old, so if your new method works I'll be reading up on it.

Present functionality:
                        • Press specific button on IR control. HS4 powers up AV equipment (z-wave) and sends out IR commands to AV amplifier, projector, projector screen down, AV amp to correct input etc. Lights turn off (z-wave).
                        • Press pause on remote and lights come on dim.
                        • Press play on remote and lights go off.
                        • Press Off on remote and HS4 sends out IR commands then powers off all devices and turns lights on (both z-wave).
                        So if you can do that I'm in
                        Win 11 Pro | HS4 Pro | Z wave plug in with UZB1 | BLUSBUIRT 2.0.11.0 | RFXtrx433 | Blue Iris CCTV | VU+ 4k with motorised dish | Emby | Hi-Phone HS2 | ESP32 with WLED |

Comment

Have you guys taken a look at the Homey Bridge? https://homey.app/en-us/store/product/homey-bridge/

I ordered one of these and it came 2 days later, but I have not yet had a chance to play with it. Right now it's in beta and sold only by invitation, but when I applied for an invite I got one back the next day.

They are an Australia based company trying to be a one-bridge solution for home automation. Currently the bridge supports these device types:
                          • 433 MHz
                          • Bluetooth
                          • Infrared
                          • Wi-Fi
                          • Z-Wave
                          • Zigbee
                          I'm not sure if the Infrared is both send and receive, or send only.

They have a fantastic looking mobile App and the bridge looks cool as hell when plugged in. But that's about all I can tell you so far.

Might be worth taking a look at...

--Barry

Comment

Originally posted by logman View Post
                            Have you guys taken a look at the Homey Bridge? https://homey.app/en-us/store/product/homey-bridge/

I ordered one of these and it came 2 days later, but I have not yet had a chance to play with it. Right now it's in beta and sold only by invitation, but when I applied for an invite I got one back the next day.

--Barry
                            Cloud based 'software'?
                            RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post

Cloud based 'software'?
                              Yup. Definitely wouldn't want to depend on it for everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X