Remote access issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote access issue

My HomeSeer app has been stable for a long time.,,but getting a ‘no systems found’ error today…l can access cameras etc remotely so it’s not an internet issue.

I didn’t see other posts about it…so assuming it’s something with my system.

anybody else having issues? Thx!

Did you try restarting HS and seeing if this solves the issue?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

"Did you try rebooting" is not a ideal response. Food for thought Greg. I know you meant well, but this technology needs to get better! Sorry, but you hit a sensitive spot with me as I have encountered several myHS mystery connection failures which happen and then no one can help troubleshoot the root issue. The answer is to reboot which ultimately with smart technology is just plain unacceptable.

How about providing details how we can troubleshoot said issues? Why can the software not attempt to troubleshoot the issues itself and report what it found?

If I have HomeSeer 2000 miles away in a remote house then rebooting is not really an option when someone is not physically in the same space. That is the whole premise for remote access. While it is true that a reboot might clear an issue, it doesn't solve the issue overall. The key here is that if everything is smart, then it should be more resilient to failure and/or correct root issue itself.... If there are issues with the cloud infrastructure then the local HomeSeer instance needs to trap the issue, alert if possible, and attempt or retry periodically so that eventually one is able to again remotely connect.

Again, I know you mean well, but these mysterious remote access with presumably myHS technology need to get more resilient so that someone can troubleshoot and identify root cause and resolve. Otherwise, one can not trust the technology for remote access.

HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
        "Did you try rebooting" is not a ideal response
        It may not be "ideal" but it's a good first step in troubleshooting.

💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Guys…thx but…The reason I’m asking if remote access is broken is because I’m remote. that makes it a bit tough to do the the simple things.

I’m guessing the ups had an issue and powered down…and eventually the laptop laptop ran down.

Just asking if it was a myhs issue that others were seeing too as that had happened before.

Comment

A change in the MYHS connection status happened yesterday around 3pm EST, probably related.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20211231-084824_Pushover.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.2 KB ID:	1517579

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...37#post1357237

Comment

This is exactly my point to Greg. If you’re remote then how is one supposed to reboot? Also by rebooting one is masking the issue not solving it. The key is to know what the exact issue is. If HomeSeer is supposed to be “smart” then it needs to be resilient and self repairing! Yes, this is challenging and will take some work! It is not easy. Not even implying that I could do it better. There is a certain methodology to doing something like this and it can be done.

So based on the other information nugget, I am betting that the cloud failed over and the local client didn’t or wasn’t able to reconnect. This is what I am worried about that there is a latent issue within myHS technology that still resides and is being masked by being told “why dont you reboot”.

If restarting is the key, then why do we have to restart our entire automation environment rather than just restart the myHS module? And, maybe it should restart or reconnect itself. That would be smart technology…..

myHS is a awesome technology if it truly could be trust. The technology should be designed such that the local client is a separate process that can be restarted and there such be sufficient logging to get more verbose logging and alerting. The cloud side of things should have alerting and logging as well such that when the local client disconnects or is lost, then a message can be sent so that we know there is an issue. It should be as resilient and self repairing as possible. And yes, there is going to be a cost (fee) to do this. I would be happy to pay for something like this as it creates value and is important when it operates 2000 miles away. Granted, certain dependencies must be functional. One still needs power, Internet, etc…. Not expecting myHS to repair a power failure…

HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

If you’re remote then how is one supposed to reboot? Also by rebooting one is masking the issue not solving it. The key is to know what the exact issue is. If HomeSeer is supposed to be “smart” then it needs to be resilient and self repairing!
                I've never come across any even mildly complex system that works flawlessly. Even worse, every time software is updated or includes a bug fix, there are other potential issues created. When I found a potential condition with HS4 where HS might not restart under certain conditions, I created tasks to check for those conditions and automatically execute commands to resolve it. Should I have need to do something like that? No, but I did and overall it makes my system a bit more robust.

I don't think Rupp was saying you should reboot to resolve the issue. Instead, add that operation as one of the steps to help in troubleshooting. If you can no longer "touch" the system, perhaps you should have a script that will see that condition, then do an appropriate reboot or take other actions. There are also UPS devices that you can trigger to do a reboot if the remote device is non responsive.

Between the use of the impressive HS4 log filtering and the OS systems logs, you should be able to determine when the actual failure occurred. Even working backwards for a few minutes might involve looking at hundreds of entries, but that could shed light on what triggered the failure to start with.

Comment

Guessing this will be easier when the version that runs as a windows service is out for a bit.

I know the ups tripping needs addressing as well as changing the bios setting so the laptop will reboot once I load the service version. I was a network routing architect since the early 90’s, but not too much of a server guy.

Anyway…just wanted to know if myhs was down and saw it bounce yesterday above at the time my system went down…but not sure of their time zone.

I still think it’s just power…have a friend going by to check soon…

THANKS! Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Coz View Post

I've never come across any even mildly complex system that works flawlessly. Even worse, every time software is updated or includes a bug fix, there are other potential issues created. When I found a potential condition with HS4 where HS might not restart under certain conditions, I created tasks to check for those conditions and automatically execute commands to resolve it. Should I have need to do something like that? No, but I did and overall it makes my system a bit more robust.

I don't think Rupp was saying you should reboot to resolve the issue. Instead, add that operation as one of the steps to help in troubleshooting. If you can no longer "touch" the system, perhaps you should have a script that will see that condition, then do an appropriate reboot or take other actions. There are also UPS devices that you can trigger to do a reboot if the remote device is non responsive.

Between the use of the impressive HS4 log filtering and the OS systems logs, you should be able to determine when the actual failure occurred. Even working backwards for a few minutes might involve looking at hundreds of entries, but that could shed light on what triggered the failure to start with.

Look, I get it, have used this software since 1998 - maybe 1999. There are all sorts of “things” I could do, the point is that regular users are not able to and HomeSeer’s myHS technology needs to become more reliant and self-repairing which include alerting so that we don’t have to do these “things”. It’s an automation system for a smart house, and novices should be able to have tools that allow one to take action:

* Can we create a HS event that triggers when myHS is disconnected? Why not, its an automation system. This would allow us to trap the situation and take action.

* Can we create a HS event that allows us to reconnect when disconnected? Why not, its an automation system. Rebooting is the last thing as it takes the entire automation system down. First check to see if Internet connection is up, second restart myHS connection - wait can’t without restarting HomeSeer which is complete overkill. One should just be able to restart the myHS connection rather than start the whole automation environment.

* Can we create a notification via the HS myHS cloud that allows us to be notified when our myHS connection is not connected, why not its an automation system. For example, customer your myHS connection from the remote house has disconnected (or connection is stale), and has not reconnected within xx minutes/hours.

The above basic design principles have been missing for years and are relatively easy to implement (the last two being the most time consuming). So lets start with #1, then #2, maybe the free tier gets the current functionality, but a fee based tier get these options. I would pay for it as there is value in these tools.

Comment

Just like any company, I'm sure HomeSeer has a large list of potential product improvements. For me, myHS is insignificant. I prefer to communicate with my own network instead of an external site.

The item I place at the top of the list is a hardened platform to prevent attacks, breaches and data leakage. In my opinion appliances like HomeTroller Plus Smart Home Hub should not have game services, Microsoft and Google spyware, etc. There should also be a document explaining how to disable/change any well-known user names and passwords.

I am in agreement with your suggestions (and do not see them as being code intensive), but HomeSeer has limited resources and a large to-do list.

Here's a suggestion: There's a lot of very bright people on this forum. Perhaps a community effort to determine what scheduled events and .bat scripts could be created on the user end. It could also include how to generate a failure email. End user creativity is one of the many ways that drives product development.

Comment

I am a CISSP - don’t get me started about security and privacy items.

Back to focus on the subject - I am speaking up on behalf of the novices here. The experts will always create a different mouse trap.

HST is focused on revenue generating projects. They need to keep afloat - we want them to stay afloat. Like I told to Mark at CES one year, “how many of these companies were around when HomeSeer Technologies started in the very late 90’s”… myHS is very important in the overall automation lifecycle. It’s just that support people have come so complacent with “rebooting” first step which is ridiculous as it masks what the real problem is. Find the root cause of the issue so that one can potentially do a post mortem to better the solution. This improves the product and eliminates confusion for the novices. The better the solution and less frustrations for the novices, the more people will rave about the product… Hopefully that generates success and positive business cash flow…

Rich is a excellent developer. In hind site, myHS maybe should not have been incorporated into the HomeSeer product but rather into a separate executable which can be restarted at will. It’s more of a design issue and can be done very easily. Look if we don’t point out better solutions then rebooting will always be the first option that support chooses.

Greg.- Thank you for not deleting these posts. Consider it constructive criticism and suggestion on a subjectively better design for myHS for the future. Please remind Rich and other developers that this is a professional automation system and therefore features need to be incorporated such that the event engine can trigger and perform actions when “situations” occur. Sometimes people forget what this is about and it gets drowned in the business side of things…. At least that is the HomeSeer that I remember and started with….. It is also the difference between “home remote control” and “home automation”. A smart house is not necessarily a house where click on a button to do something… That is remote control, not smart. Smart is when one can trigger off of some thing that happened and perform action….

Comment

I am a CISSP - ….
                          As am I (although now retired for a couple of years). Unlike you, I am new to "home" automation. But before I retired I had my fingers at one time or another in most aspects of a global information infrastructure. I have never implemented nor supported a product that did not need a lot of "personal touches." The good thing is, many of the vendors will take what end users do (code, methodology, etc.) and use it.

There is no doubt in my mind that Rich, Greg and others with HomeSeer know you are being constructive and as an end user, trying to guide development. That is a good thing!

Until then, all I'm saying is to implement those processes that will make your system reliable and robust for your needs and pass on how you did it. Your concerns are important and your skill sets can enrich others.

Comment

Look, don’t do it for me. I can build my own mouse trap. Do it for the person out there not posting and struggling…. Then throwing in the towel and going to alternative products.

It would be a interesting discussion with the marketing group to see how who the target audience is for HomeSeer. I bet that while there are a lot of DYI’ers here, the target audience is the novices that are new to home automation. It is this audience that needs the help.

Again, do it for them!

Comment

Working...
                            X