Amazon Fire tablet and HSTouch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Fire tablet and HSTouch

Does anyone here have experience with HSTouch running on Amazon Fire tablet?

Amazon Fire runs on Fire OS that is a fork of Android OS. Before buying one however I wanted to make sure that HSTouch app is available and runs without problems on Amazon Fire tablet. Feedback will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Thedude

Yes, I use one for HSTouch and it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
    Plugin's:
    BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
    EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
    weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Ditto. They work great.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. As far as I'm going to need at least 6 (six) than needless to say that I'm quite cost sensitive. Any ideas where to buy them cheap (older models are O.K. as I don't need the latest the greatest in camera, CPU and memory. As we all know HSTouch is legacy 10 years old software so I don't think it has to be mated to the latest hardware.
        Also what is the deal with "Lockscreen ad-supported" They are 10% cheaper but seems that they do force some ads. Is there a way around it? The way my HSTouch is designed it does display (rotate from a library of 1,000+ images) art images when not in use. Not sure if it counts as "lockscreen" or not.

I see 10" Fire tablets on Amazon for $150 to $180 range, and I also see some no name 10" Chinese Android 10 tablets for less than $100. Anyone tried one of these?

Comment

I bought the tablet with ads but we have HSTouch on the screen full time so they are never seen unless we close HSTouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
          Plugin's:
          BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
          EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
          weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Have you considered the cheap "onn." brand tablets sold by Walmart? I'd suggest just buying one and trying it out - you can always return it. You don't need high-performance, and if these are going to be wall-mounted or just sitting on a table, durability isn't a big issue, either.

https://www.walmart.com/browse/elect...078524_1231200

As for the Fire tablets, the "lock screen ads" thing is a discounted price if you let Amazon display some of their own ads when the device is on, idle and locked. If you don't like it, you can later pay a fee to "upgrade" and turn off the ads.

Comment

An old post using Amazon Fire and keeping it on all times https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-7-kindle-fire ; I have been using a few of them as HSTouch screens for some time.

Comment

I have two 8" and one 10". I don't find the lock screen ads to be much of a problem. In normal use, they never appear, though I do see them occasionally if a tablet has been idle for quite a while (more than a day probably, definitely longer than overnight). I also find that it helps to quit HSTouch and reload it occasionally. That process is very quick, though, just has to be done manually.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks to all who responded so far.

How old are your devices and what version of Android OS? I see some refurbished ( model year 2019) will they work?

Comment

I have several 8" & 10" Fire Tablets. Flavors are gen 7-11.

I bought them all on Black Fridays, Cyber Mondays, and holiday seasons for around $79 each.

My HSTouch projects are fairly large and complex, but the Fire tablets run them fine. For the most part, I have not had any real issues with them.

I also rooted them using Fire Toolbox V20 which stopped many of the annoying OTA updates that Amazon pushes out.

Comment

Another way is to just write a firewall rule on your router that blocks the internal IP that the Fire Tablets are on from establishing an outbound connection on the Internet. That way they don't connect to the Amazon servers and can't get the ads. As if you were on a plane with WiFi off. You have access to your own internal subnet to communication with HSTouch.

Comment

Originally posted by Thedude View Post
                        How old are your devices and what version of Android OS? I see some refurbished ( model year 2019) will they work?
                        Mine are two 7th and one 8th gen. I think the older ones are actually better for HSTouch than then newer one.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks to all who responded. Now the next question. Did anyone manage to mate the HSTouch driven tablet to an outdoor (doorbell) camera to do the following

- get notifications (sound) when someone is at the door
                          - see the image on the screen
                          - talk two way in real time
                          - manage the camera PTZ

Thanks,
                          Thedude

Comment

Working...
                          X