Tasmota Compatibility with eero Pro 6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tasmota Compatibility with eero Pro 6?

I have a half dozen Tasmota devices (Cloudfree and Athon) with which I am generally quite satisfied. They all talk to HS3 via MQTT hosted by the mcsMQTT plug-in. Recently I extended my home's Wi-Fi coverage by replacing my Linksys router with an eero Pro 6 mesh network (5 identical units).

The eero pro 6 mesh fulfills its primary purpose admirably. I now have excellent Wi-Fi coverage for my smart phone and my notebook computer, throughout the house.

The same is not true, however, for my Tasmota devices. I'm finding that they still work quite well when the nearest eero mesh node is the eero gateway. (The gateway unit is the only one of the five that has a hardwired Ethernet connection to my LAN. It has Ethernet connections to both my nearest LAN switch and my Internet modem.) But if I move them to areas served by any other eero Pro 6 unit, then the Wi-Fi connection becomes problematic, if not impossible.

All my Tasmota devices are 2.4 GHz only. The eero mesh units support both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz connections. I have tried to use their option to inhibit 5 GHz for 10 minutes to establish the 2.4 GHz connections, but that doesn't seem to fix the problem.

eero likes to advertise that their flagship eero Pro 6 devices are compatible with "everything," though they confess that they haven't tried everything. They are apparently unwilling to test their system with new customer devices.

Likewise, the Tasmota people list a lot of devices that they have tested, but they don't commit to testing new configurations.

Does anyone have any experience or insight that might suggest a solution to my problem?

Set setoption56 to on. That does a wifi rescan on restart of the module. It should lock onto the nearest eero.

Alternately you can set setoption57 to on. That forces a wifi rescan every 44 minutes.

Comment

dmagerl , I tried setoption56 ON, but no joy. Here's the sequence:
      1. While plugged in near my gateway eero Pro 6, the unit was fully functional. Reliable on/off, verified setoption56 was OFF.
      2. Changed setoption56 to ON and verified the change. Verified on/off still working AOK.
      3. Unplugged the unit, and relocated it near a different eero Pro 6.
      4. In its new location, the plug module was completely unresponsive: no on/off, no console access, nothing. It was as if the unit had no power, though I know that it did.
      5. I returned the plug module to its original location, and once again, all is working fine.
      I didn't bother with setoption57. Any other ideas?

Comment

If you go to the information menu, it tells you the received signal strength. Anything above -70dBm is acceptable. Below -70dbm is a pretty weak signal.

I would go ahead and look at the tasmota info screen on the module make note of the signal strength, then turn on setoption57 and give it a day to see if the info screen doesnt report a higher signal strength than what you just noted.

At my house, they work really well once they're locked onto the proper eero hub.

Oooh, one more thing. Go to the tasmota info screen and copy down the mac address of the affected module. Then go into the eero homepage and find that mac address in the list of modules. You'll have to click on each module listed to find the mac address. Then it tells you which eero access point it's locked onto. If its not the nearest access point, it still hasnt locked onto the strongest signal or there is something blocking the signal from that access point.

If the signal strengths arent all that bad, there's something else going on because mine work flawlessly with my eero.

Comment

dmagerl , I have verified that my moved plug module is claimed by the nearest eero unit, per the eero app. Communication is very sporadic. Sometimes the unit more or less works for a few minutes, sometimes it gives up for hours. Failure is recognized by several methods which are in general consistent agreement:

I haven't seen that setoption56 or setoption57 has any effect at all.
          • My Hometroller SEL cannot control the device via mcsMQTT.
          • My desktop computer loses ability to interface to the device via its tasmota hosted web pages.
          • The device cannot connect to the MQTT broker. (See below.)
          • Ping from my desktop often shows timeouts or extremely long (seconds!) response times (See below.)
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-01-06_11-51-45.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	1518976
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-01-06_16-53-19.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	1518977

I don't think the problem is signal strength. When I can get through to the device, the Tasmota web page reports signal strength of anywhere from -59 to -64 db -- reasonable, in my opinion. For comparison, a similar device in my shop communicates quite reliably with a Belkin AP, where its reported signal strength is usually about -71 db.

I read recently in some reddit posts that not all eero Wi-Fi APs have the same performance characteristics, Some people like the older designs better than the new ones. So, I'm wondering, what specific eero configuration do you have, including model designations?
          Attached Files

Comment

Thats interesting about the newer models. I'm out of ideas.

I have the earlier model of eero
            https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its in bridge mode so all the DHCP and security features are disabled. The main AP is wired into the network, the satellite APs are RF connected.

I have just one problem module located in the garage. The signal has to traverse a brick wall and and its pretty weak. For some reason it keeps wanting to connect to the AP furthest away with the worst signal. Eventually it moves back and all is good again.

I only have one other idea. You said it works when moved back to where you set it up. Have you tried leaving it where its at and doing a factory reset and setting up things up once again? Other than that, I'm tapped out.

Comment

Working...
            X