Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS4 Backup structure, local vs MyHS

Environment is Windows, HomeTroller Plus, wired Z-Net

I'm considering 'what if' issues in the case of a bare metal restore.

Several forum posts discuss appropriate steps for manually initiating local backup. While no post I could find fully explains the task flow, I note that it is always recommended to manually back up the network interface from the Z-Net Plug-in Controller Management menu and then trigger the HS4 backup process from the HS4 Tools menu. The descriptions I could find of the manual restore process call for restoring the HS4 backup from the Tools menu and then restoring the network interface. My assumption is that the HS4 restore will place the corresponding network interface backup where it needs to be so that the separate network interface restore process would find it - but I can find nothing that actually says this.

Does manually restoring a HS4 local backup place the most recent available network interface backup where it can be found by a separate network restore operation run after the HS4 restore?

OTOH, looking at the MyHS 'cloud' backup process, it appears that this backup only backs up HS4. I don't see any network interface backup process in the MyHS backup description nor in the logs when the MyHS backup process runs.

Does the MyHS backup process back up the network interface?

If not, what is available to be restored if you have to rebuild a system using only the MyHS backup?

I'd recommend using these backup procedures and setting up the auto backup feature built into HS4 (Tools > Backup/Restore).
    https://docs.homeseer.com/pages/view...ageId=17466488

-Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

I have been through that document and have those steps in place. My concern is that those steps appear to relate only to HS4 itself. A functional HS4 environment also requires some sort of a Z-Wave network, and in my case that network is controlled by a Z-Net device. Again, I'm looking at the issues involved in a 'bare metal' recovery, which would involve recreating both the HS4 system and the Z-Wave network. As I currently understand it, a full environment backup would require both a backup of the HS4 system and a backup of the Z-Net device. I understand how to do both backups. However, it is not clear how, at recovery time, I would locate and restore the Z-Net backup. Is the most recent Z-Net backup incorporated into the HS4 system backup and automatically made available during the HS4 restore? If not, while the Z-Net backup process does provide a unique file name, where is this Z-Net backup file located and how do I recover it when doing a 'bare metal' restore of the full HS4 environment?

Comment

https://docs.homeseer.com/display/HS...Z-Wave+Network

Comment

I have a related question. It appears now in HS4 that the backup is stored on the Hometroller. In HS3, I was able to save it to my PC. If the Hometroller fails and needs to be replaced, it does me no good to have the backup on the device. How can I put the backup on my PC like I could with HS3?

Comment

The docs have a link that describes how to download locally.
            -Rupp
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
              The docs have a link that describes how to download locally.
              Here is what I found in the docs: "If you have HS4 installed in a custom installation, you can change the save location for backups very easily by typing in the desired folder address. The default save location on Windows is C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\html\backups, while it is /usr/local/HomeSeer/html/backups on Linux. If you are using a HomeTroller, it is not recommended to change the default save location for backups".

This seems to say that if you're using a HomeTroller that you need to leave the backup on the device. I can't figure out any way to get it to back-up to my PC instead. So, if my HomeTroller fails, and I need to replace it. It seems like my config backup is lost as well. With HS3, I was able to back-up to my PC easily. I tried changing 'default' as the back-up location to a directory on my PC, but I just get the message that 'the selected back-up location does not exist', and it goes back to 'default'.

Comment

Still have an issue in locating the Z-Net backup for restore.

The document referenced in:

https://docs.homeseer.com/display/HS...Z-Wave+Network

Says "Choose the file you created here " but that link is broken.

I do see that the user-initiated Z-Wave backup (Actions-"Back Up this interface") stores a 'nodes', a 'zwave', and a 'Z-Wave2' file in /Homeseer HS4/Data/Z-wave.

Restating the questions:

1) Does the built-in HS4 (Tools-"Backup/Restore") backup contain a Z-Net backup? If so, how do I extract it to restore if I no longer have the original Z-Net?

2) If I no longer have the original Z-Net but I do have access to /Homeseer HS4/Data/Z-Wave, what files do I restore to the new Z-Net?

Comment

The .zwave and .nodes files are the backups. Z-Wave2.db is for other purposes and isn't involved backup/restore.

The .zwave file is used to restore to older '500' series controllers. This includes all Z-Net models as far as I know.

The .nodes file is used to restore to the new '700' series controllers, such as the 'G3' SmartStick.

Comment

Good info - that really should be documented somewhere. The Z-Net restore function appears to want a fully qualified file name, and there is more than one type of file in the backup subdirectory.

Still interested in knowing if the Tools-"Back Up/Restore" backup (either locally or to the cloud [MyHS]) includes restorable Z-Net information (.zwave files?). If not, my backup procedure has to include a manually initiated Z-Net backup to give me restore capability for my entire Homeseer environment.

Comment

The plugin performs a backup automatically (.zwave and .nodes files) whenever a node is added or removed. So the newest copy of those in the ./Data/Z-Wave folder "should" contain the latest data. As long as that folder is part of the backup, you should be in fairly good shape.

Before HST implemented the automatic backup, I developed a method to backup via an event. I still run it weekly, but it's not really necessary anymore.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...-backup-script

Comment

HS4 Backup structure, local vs MyHS: OSX

Hi There,
                        I'm on OSX 11.6.5 so I thought the Linux path would be applicable, but it doesn't appear that way. When I web into my HS4 [Pi] and perform a backup, presumably it is staying on the device. I've followed the directions below which shows how when you hit "restore" you can "download" the backup to any place on your computer you would like. However, the procedure starts with backing up the ZWave and presumably that, as well, is stored on the device. Why am I asking this? Because I plan on restoring to a HomeTroller Plus [which I've been informed is allowable] and it will be pretty straightforward, once booted up, to hit "restore" and browse to the location where i stored the Homeseer zip file. The ZWave file, on the other hand i don't have a local copy off, hence my dilemma is do you have to restore the ZWave file first then the HomeSeer .zip file? [ I do not have the cloud backup service ]

I've repeated these questions below:

Step 1: Backup Z-Wave
                        1. From the Advanced Functions page, select Backup Interface in the drop-down menu, then click Continue.
                        2. You will be presented a default file name for your backup including the network ID and date. Leave this as-is or enter a name that will be help you recall exactly which backup you are looking at in the future. Click Start.
                        3. The system will log the process of creating your backup and move along to step 4 once it is complete. Press Details to review these logs if you like. Click Finish and you will be returned to the Devices page.
                        See here for more information: Backup Interface

Question 1: I'm guessing the ZWave Backup is stored on the Pi?

Question 2: I'm on OSX 11.6.5 so presumably the Linux location you specify should apply? Well Under my user account I don't see: local/HomeSeer/html/backups. I did however, see that when I hit "backup" I could specify a download location so I know where THAT is, but where is the ZWave backup file located?

Question 3: when it comes time to restore these to my HomeTroller Pro, do I restore the ZWave file first then the Homeseer zip file next since the bu procedure starts with backing up ZWave then HomeSeer?

Step 2: Backup HS4 Configuration
                        • A) If you are still on the Controller Management page of the Z-Wave plugin, click the Home button in the top left corner. Then, navigate to Tools > Backup/Restore.
                        • B) Click the BACKUP NOW button and a small window will pop up within your web browser indicating that the backup process has been started and that the prompt can be safely closed.
                        • C) That is it! your system has now been backed up. If you would like to download a copy of your backup, click LOCAL RESTORE..., select a date, then the backup file and click Download.
                        Backup Save Location

If you have HS4 installed in a custom installation, you can change the save location for backups very easily by typing in the desired folder address. The default save location on Windows is C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\html\backups, while it is /usr/local/HomeSeer/html/backups on Linux. If you are using a HomeTroller, it is not recommended to change the default save location for backups.

Thanks for any help on this!

Comment

Working...
                        X