Power Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Recommendations

Working on my man cave, I have 8 old school arcade games and a pinball machine.

I need a way to control the electricity to these with Homeseer and Z-wave.

Each of these are have the old school on/off switch and if I leave them on I can turn them all on or off with a single switch by controlling the power.

What are my best options? I've looked at Z-wave power outlets.

Are Z-wave power outlets combine with power strips the best option?

I installed the Enbrighten In-Wall Z-Wave Tamper-Resistant Smart Outlet Model: Zw1002 specifically to use with a power strip. This Christmas I had the tree, a couple strings of lights and a few animated items powered through it. My power consumption is probably less they yours, but it worked great.

Comment

There are Z-wave power strips that can control each individual outlet. Make sure you don't overload the total capacity of the unit.

There are also plugin modules with one outlet that you can use with a regular power strip. Again, make sure you don't overload the module and power strip.

Comment

If you can still find these, they work great and you get power usage reporting too:

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot2.png
Views:	130
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1519949
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
          There are Z-wave power strips that can control each individual outlet. Make sure you don't overload the total capacity of the unit.

There are also plugin modules with one outlet that you can use with a regular power strip. Again, make sure you don't overload the module and power strip.
          I would prefer a power strip because it would be easier to setup and not tie up an outlet if I decide to re-arrange. I see the Zen20 is out of stock everywhere. Do you know of any others that are reliable?

Comment

I have 2 of these Greenwave power strips. I use one at my desk and it is cycled at least once a day, 5 days a week. It powers my 2 monitors, a laptop, oil radiator space heater in the winter, and some other devices. I use the other for the Christmas tree (including model trains running under with a Raspberry Pi for train automation, and a couple other plugin items. This second strip is used for other seasonal items the rest of the year as well. You can control each outlet and the power button on the unit is an all on/off button. There are some parameters which can be set on these if you have the newer firmware. I know there is at least one thread on the forum discussing these units.

I also use some of the GE Outdoor switches which have been working well and a couple of the GE Duplex Receptacles installed. The Receptacles only control 1 of the two outlets.
            Karl S
            HS4Pro on Windows 10
            1070 Devices
            56 Z-Wave Nodes
            104 Events
            HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
            Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Originally posted by ksum View Post
              I have 2 of these Greenwave power strips. I use one at my desk and it is cycled at least once a day, 5 days a week. It powers my 2 monitors, a laptop, oil radiator space heater in the winter, and some other devices. I use the other for the Christmas tree (including model trains running under with a Raspberry Pi for train automation, and a couple other plugin items. This second strip is used for other seasonal items the rest of the year as well. You can control each outlet and the power button on the unit is an all on/off button. There are some parameters which can be set on these if you have the newer firmware. I know there is at least one thread on the forum discussing these units.

I also use some of the GE Outdoor switches which have been working well and a couple of the GE Duplex Receptacles installed. The Receptacles only control 1 of the two outlets.
              I have 2 of those greenwave power strips and I have 2 complaints:
              • There are no mounting holes on the back. I was looking into getting some little brackets 3D printed to mount them to the wall, but haven't had time.
              • The LED light is incredibly bright at night. I had to cover it with electrical tape.

HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Working...
              X