Truck/car sensor for gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck/car sensor for gate

Can anyone recommend a sensor that will recognize the presence of truck/car/golf cart at close distance. Requirements

- can’t burry it in the ground under the road. Must be on the side or alongside of the road.
    - must recognize cars/trucks/golf carts
    - must not react to people, animals or smaller objects like metal buckets, wheelbarrow etc.

Power and WiFi is available and communication to HS4 is not a problem. All I need is some sort of dry contact notification.

Netamo Presence could do but a bit expensive and cloud based but you can also save local using FTP (May be an overkill)

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

The Mighty Mule driveway sensors do that, but there is no built-in relay. I had to tape a photocell over the LED light and use an Arduino to trigger the relay.
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Other suggestions here:

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...ar-in-driveway
        will be testing this one later this month:

https://tasmota.github.io/docs/VL53L0x/

Comment

Mighty Mule has poor ratings even at their own web site.

Comment

Any car or cart or a specific set of these vehicles. It will determine if the vehicle can have some form of transmitter to announce presence.

object recognition is becoming pretty common for camera and video image processing software. This may serve as a solution for the case of any vehicle that has been trained to be within the recognition parameters.

Comment

Thanks to all who replied. I should have been more specific. My case is about opening the gate from inside to let visitors go out. In this regard any solution that includes some sort of ID (like beacons, iPhones etc) is not applicable.

I personally think that camera with image recognition software is a long shot and most expensive and least reliable solution.

Mighty Mule product proposed by rmasonjr seems best fit to me although it will need some tinkering and soldering as it doesn't have any machine interface and also battery life is very short allegedly.

has an interesting idea about using laser distance sensors. I'm a big fan of Tasmota and know my way around Tasmota based devices and I can certainly do it. The trick in this scenario though is that I will need several sensors and analysis of their reports in order to avoid false triggers. For example one sensor only will be triggered by humans and animals, my two dogs walking behind each other can be mistaken for a golf cart if I'm to use two sensors only. Bottom line this solution is doable but requires quite a bit of work.

More feedback and brilliant ideas are welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by Thedude View Post

Mighty Mule product proposed by rmasonjr seems best fit to me although it will need some tinkering and soldering as it doesn't have any machine interface and also battery life is very short allegedly.
                I have 2 Mighty Mules and I use Energizer lithiums. Between the 2, they see 3-4 vehicles a day. My batteries last just under a year.
                The receiver does have a low battery LED as an indicator to replace the batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Thedude View Post
                  I should have been more specific. My case is about opening the gate from inside to let visitors go out.

More feedback and brilliant ideas are welcomed.
                  https://cartell.com/products/free-exit/

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                  HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                    The Mighty Mule driveway sensors do that, but there is no built-in relay. I had to tape a photocell over the LED light and use an Arduino to trigger the relay.
                    Hardwire something like this to the led leads? They have other models that will trigger with less input voltage.
                    https://www.amazon.com/NOYITO-Channe...%2C124&sr=8-17

Comment

Actually, I think I did go back and just tap into the LED leads. I'll take a pic tonight when I get home.
                      I used these to detect the voltage:

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot1.png
Views:	189
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	1520657

Comment

Actually, I think I did go back and just tap into the LED leads. I'll take a pic tonight when I get home.
                        I used these to detect the voltage:

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot1.png
Views:	189
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	1520657
                        Thanks, Rob. How is the sensor working for you? I have a three-car driveway. I need to put a sensor on each side to detect two different vehicles. I understand the sensitivity can be adjusted?

Comment

I have 2 and they work well. Cars, trucks, tractor, mower all set then off. There is a potentiometer to adjust the sensitivity.

The arduino closes a relay which is tied to my omni panel. I have an event to turn on the outside lights of dark, and announce via hstouch. Since the led stays on after a detection, I cycle the power off/on the receiver to turn off the led using a z-wave module.

Comment

I have 2 and they work well. Cars, trucks, tractor, mower all set then off. There is a potentiometer to adjust the sensitivity.

"Since the led stays on after a detection..."
                            How does it work normally? It goes off and then you have to clear it manually? I have a mailbox sensor that does the same thing I'm trying to workaround.

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post

How does it work normally? It goes off and then you have to clear it manually? I have a mailbox sensor that does the same thing I'm trying to workaround.
                              For normal use, the led will stay lit until you push the reset button on the receiver. I only need the receiver to send me the initial detection, then I power cycle the receiver.

Comment

Working...
                              X