Detecting Open/Close Connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detecting Open/Close Connection

I purchased this mat that detects if somebody steps on it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I would like to integrate this into HS. I believe the way this mat works is that it simply short-circuits when somebody steps on it and then it opens the circuit when pressure is released. Ideally I would like to use something based on Zigbee for long battery life. Maybe a Aqara Water Leak Sensor could work but it's IP67 so I suspect I would break the case to wire the cable into it.

The water leak sensor has metal pins exposed to which a connection can be made. I have never tried, but I suspect that trying to solder to the pins could do some damage to it. A mechanical cradle to which the sensor can be mounted seems like the safest approach. A little 3D print would be a good approach. If you are woodworker or do casting in plastic, plaster etc then these approaches could also work.

I took a look at one of mine and see it has two screw terminals that should be able to accept some fine wire. This approach should work if the screw terminal length is not critical or if one could find a metric screw that is slightly longer to account for the wire being added.

Comment

I've used an Ecolink Door Sensor, but it is z-wave. It has terminals inside the case to attach the wires from the mat. Maybe there's a zigbee equivalent?

Comment

Michael McSharry What sensor do you have that has screw terminals. I want to google it and see if that might work.

Comment

Amazon Aqara Water Leak Sensor, REQUIRES AQARA HUB, Wireless Water Leak Detector, Wireless Mini Flood Detector for Alarm System and Smart Home Automation, For Kitchen Bathroom Basement, Works with IFTTT - - Amazon.com

I got a bunch a few years ago from Banggood for around $8-$9. The do work very easily with Zigbee2MQTT. Pairing is very simple.

It is a small hex head screw. It looks like others have used the thin wire approach. Pogo pins would also work nicely since the hex head is receased and easy to keep the pins in place.

Comment

Ah, that might work. They even mention cables in their instructions.

https://smarterhome.sk/en/blog/aqara...guide_150.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	AqaraWaterLeakSensor.png
Views:	104
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1521301

Comment

Working...
            X