From the Z-Wave Alliance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post

Did you actually read the doc? I dont see intern mentioned anywhere in there?
    Have you ever worked in the corporate world? These types of fodder are often given to the interns and corporate signs off on them. I'm simply amazed that an organization that seeks to be the talking head of Z-Wave would event put something out like this. Interpret and 1500 people doesn't make a very reliable nor believable survey. They are simply pushing an agenda. No harm just doesn't look good from the surface.
    πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

Have you ever worked in the corporate world? These types of fodder are often given to the interns and corporate signs off on them. I'm simply amazed that an organization that seeks to be the talking head of Z-Wave would event put something out like this. Interpret and 1500 people doesn't make a very reliable nor believable survey. They are simply pushing an agenda. No harm just doesn't look good from the surface.
      Yes. I am a 30-year veteran of a Tier II telecommunications company, but what does that have to do with anything?
      How in the world did you come up with an intern writing this report and handing it off?

I just posted an interesting take on z-wave products.

HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post

Yes. I am a 30-year veteran of a Tier II telecommunications company, but what does that have to do with anything?
        How in the world did you come up with an intern writing this report and handing it off?

I just posted an interesting take on z-wave products.

Don't sweat it. I enjoyed the report.
        πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

Cynical bunch I see.

But no matter. I enjoy my z-wave chair sensor as it reliably triggers my built-in z-wave percussive butt massager..., don't know why they left that device off the list πŸ˜•

Comment

Originally posted by McGarrett View Post
            Cynical bunch I see.

But no matter. I enjoy my z-wave chair sensor as it reliably triggers my built-in z-wave percussive butt massager..., don't know why they left that device off the list πŸ˜•
            "percussive butt massager" is the name of my next band.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

"percussive butt massager" is the name of my next band.
              omg lol

Comment

Originally posted by McGarrett View Post
                Cynical bunch I see.

Hey at least you have one of the top five devices in that chair sensor. Oddly enough I've never even heard nor seen one of these but I'm guess these are used in convalescent homes possibly.

Comment

Look very carefully at the original document. It is so ambiguous, the reader is easily fooled. It isn't actually claiming that the devices it lists are the top 5 Z-Wave devices, but simply the top five "smart" devices using any protocol. For example, it includes "WiFi Networked Camera". The Methodology paragraph mentions "...purchase intention of Z-Wave or other smart home devices."

Of course, we know that we Z-Wave hub users most commonly used devices are AC power switches/dimmers. But the explosion in growth of other stuff results in a much wider variety of simple "IoT" things, regardless of how they communicate.

Comment

Marketing fodder. I've been in several startups that have done this. Come up with a message and hire an "independent" research company to craft a survey that communicates that message.
                    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                      Marketing fodder. I've been in several startups that have done this. Come up with a message and hire an "independent" research company to craft a survey that communicates that message.
                      Yep, and the Z-wave Alliance is fighting for its life... over a decade of inflated prices for devices, meanwhile zigbee, wifi and bluetooth based IoT/smarthome devices have lowered costs and increased competition. Thread and Matter devices will kill them off because of lower pricing, even if Z-wave is able to interoperate via bridges.

Comment

"Across surveyed owners of smart home devices, the top five Z-Wave owned devices include:"

Across surveyed owners- who did they survey? They picked a target population of an unidentified group (and don't tell us how) of folks and then further obfuscated the study population by using a self-selected group of Z-Wave owners (not users). So, having admitted all of that, there is obviously no pretense that this is an accurate or meaningful survey. The survey is flawed in methodology even if it is intended to skew the results to promote Z-Wave. Surely, the study’s obviously illogical conclusions will only appeal to those that don’t understand the technology.

of smart home devices- just owners that self-report using and/or having the capacity to use Z-Wave (whether they actually do or not)

the top five Z-Wave owned devices include:- well this says a lot more than intended, I think. Proper English would be, β€œthe top five Z-Wave owned devices are”? If the top five aren't are, but include (but aren’t limited to) those mentioned, well, there β€˜ya go….

I agree with the β€œthis is a marketing ploy” folks.

HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                        Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                        Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                        Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                        WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                        AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.174,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.0,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.50.128.5,JowiHue 4.1.3.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.25.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.0.3

Comment

i agree it's fodder from marketing/sales. I dont agree that an army of corporate interns are running amok writing made-up reports and getting ceos to sign off on them πŸ™„

Comment

Working...
                          X