Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a better term for “Master Bedroom”?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a better term for “Master Bedroom”?

So I’ve been into home automation for more than 20 years now, starting with X10 and HomeSeer 1.0 and I’ve always called the “master bedroom” well… the “master bedroom”. I’ve never really liked the term… it’s just kind of long and awkward, especially now that voice recognition is becoming much more commonplace. “Alexa, turn off the master bedroom light” just doesn’t flow as well as something like “Alexa turn off the kitchen light”. And now it seems like the term “master bedroom” is quickly becoming politically incorrect as well, so I figure that maybe it’s a good time to change it.

However, I’m not really sure what to change it to. In the real estate industry it seems like people are using terms like “owner’s suite” or “primary bedroom” or “main bedroom”. However, for voice control I’m not sure “owner’s suite” or “primary bedroom” is really any better. “Main bedroom” isn’t terrible, but I also have a “master bathroom” and “master closet” in my system and I’m not sure that “main bathroom” or “main closet” really work. If I was going to call anything the “main bathroom” it would probably be the bath in the living area of the house that everyone uses.

So all that said, what are you calling your master bedroom, master bath, etc?

Originally posted by BrettS View Post
    And now it seems like the term “master bedroom” is quickly becoming politically incorrect ...

I leave politics out of the bedroom.

And I just call it bedroom.

Comment

I still use Master Bedroom and Master Bath but if you only control devices in one bedroom you could simply call it bedroom and bath.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by McGarrett View Post

I leave politics out of the bedroom.

And I just call it bedroom.
        Ditto, everything in the master bedroom for me is "lights, nightstand, blinds, bathroom, etc" The other bedrooms are defined with their names.

Comment

Master in this context is an adjective and means main or principal. If it is the main or principal bedroom, call it what it is. If it is the Master's bedroom (noun) get a subscription to FetLife and wear it like a crown.

We have a master bedroom, a front bedroom, and a rear bedroom. I'm sure some of you are taking that visual to the moon....

HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
          Home Assistant 2024.3
          Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
          Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
          Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
          WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
          AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

I think as other's have pointed out, I don't think there's a problem here... other than letting go of old notions. If there are other bedrooms in the house and you have kids then simply call the other bedrooms by the kid's name. "Alexa, turn off John's lights." Reserve the room name 'bedroom' for your room.

If you live alone or without kids then it's even easier, call your bedroom the bedroom. Another bedroom can be called Guest Room.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
              "Alexa, turn off John's lights."
              Any father that has parented a teenager has had this thought, but I'd rather argue semantics with the PC crowd than Child Protective Services! Jus' Sayin'.

Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins
              AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post

Any father that has parented a teenager has had this thought, but I'd rather argue semantics with the PC crowd than Child Protective Services! Jus' Sayin'.
                Heh... I knew someone would go there as i was typing it
                Notice I didn't say "put out John's lights"

Comment

I call the fan "Master Fan", the light "Master Light".

I sell high-end custom homes and the company is in the process of changing "Master Suite" to "Owners Suite" in our 100+ floor plans.

Meh, tomato, tomahto...

Whatever works for you is what you should do.

Comment

Originally posted by jgreenberg01 View Post
                    ...I sell high-end custom homes and the company is in the process of changing "Master Suite" to "Owners Suite" in our 100+ floor plans...
                    What if the owner rents the house to someone. Is it then the Renters Suite?

Comment

If something like "master bedroom" is becoming politically incorrect according to some folks I will purposely call it "master bedroom". And if you want me to call a "black list" "defect list" (or whatever) then I will still call it black list. There are many words and expressions that nobody associates with black people (don't even know what to say, black people, colored people, African-American, ???)

But when it comes to voice recognition, in your device settings just give it whatever name you want. For now I am still using things like "master bedroom spot light". I know it's long but it is intuitive (master bedroom, living room, office, etc). I am looking forward when Alexa can detect where I am so I can just say "turn off lights" and it will turn off the lights in the room I am. Since I have Alexas everywhere it needs to be able to detect in which room I really am as it might hear my voice in other rooms as well.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post

What if the owner rents the house to someone. Is it then the Renters Suite?
                        Or if the renter plays the flute, would it be the "Toot Sweet"?

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                        If something like "master bedroom" is becoming politically incorrect according to some folks I will purposely call it "master bedroom". And if you want me to call a "black list" "defect list" (or whatever) then I will still call it black list.
                        I don't want to get political especially since I speak fluent sarcasm and can easily get myself into trouble, but...

I sell to every demographic one can think of (even a vampire once in NY - long story there - don't ask) and I have yet to find anyone in my current market who not only didn't call it the "Master Suite" or "Master Bedroom", much less seem to be offended by the term.

Edit: is Vampire a demographic?

Comment

If something like "master bedroom" is becoming politically incorrect according to some folks I will purposely call it "master bedroom". And if you want me to call a "black list" "defect list" (or whatever) then I will still call it black list. There are many words and expressions that nobody associates with black people (don't even know what to say, black people, colored people, African-American, ???)

<snip>
                          Apparently, you just don't understand why we all had to stop drinking Corona beer and eating French fries....
                          Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins

Comment

I am looking forward when Alexa can detect where I am so I can just say "turn off lights" and it will turn off the lights in the room I am. Since I have Alexas everywhere it needs to be able to detect in which room I really am as it might hear my voice in other rooms as well.
                            I use Jon's Alexa Helper, and I just say "Alexa, tell ten to turn off the lights", and actions depend on which Echo device (room) heard the request. Works great!
                            tenholde

Comment

Greetings All,

To make things quick and easy at home,

I call my bedroom light - "Ceiling"

I call my nightstand lamp - "My"

I call my Wife's lamp - "Her"

Then I just use...

Echo, turn off the ceiling light

Echo, turn off my light

Echo, turn off her light

Roger D