Home Humidity Control for Florida home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Humidity Control for Florida home?

Curious to what you guys do in terms of humidity control automations in high humidity climates (such as Florida)? I have recently purchased a home in SWFL and have deployed automation technology to monitor said premise. Watching humidity levels closely, but curious what others do. Thanks in advance!

0.) What humidity level do you consider excessive in the house, and garage? I have noticed that the garage temp and humidity levels are significantly higher in the garage.

1.) Do you use dehumidifiers, and if so, what humidity setting do you have them set at?

2.) Obviously, you use air conditioners. What temperature setting do you have them set at?

3.) Do you run additional fans to circulate the air?

4.) Do you have any procedures or automations to extricate the humid air after a shower?

5.) Most Floridians like cooler homes. The previous owner had the home at 74 which to me seems too cold. BUT, in contrast to humidity control one would think that it is advantageous to kick in the air conditioner earlier to reduce humidity. Right now have it set at 78, and contemplating lowering the value to 74 or 76.

6.) Do you have any automation implemented to detect when drain from air handler is clogged?

7.) Do you monitor your attic temperature/humidity levels? Any special considerations or thoughts in terms of attic automations?

Thanks!

HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

I don't have quite the extremes you do, but here in VA it gets plenty humid. I'm usually only concerned with an unfinished basement. I got a z-wave temp/humidity sensor and outlet with a large portable dehumidifier plugged into it. Dehumidifier drains in HVAC condensation pump well. I've got Events set for: when humidity is greater than 59% and doors and windows are closed (flag in omni) and dehum. switch is off, then switch on dehum.. Its powered until humidity reaches 52% or doors and windows are left open. I track the humidity and switching in device history. That way I have historical data on humidity in the basement.

Consumer Reports has a list of dehum., one important feature, at least in my setup, is the auto-start (I think that is what it's called). Basically, I can set it how I want it to run, then take power away (z-wave outlet) and when switched back on it will auto start to the remembered settings. Most have this feature, but not all. LG has one you can control remotely as well and I expect it would work with the HS PI, but I haven't tried it. The LG dehum. was not highly rated by Consumer Reports, plus they want a premium for the connectivity.

As for AC, I typically run ours at 76. That usually keeps the basement within an acceptable range of humidity and if not the dehum. will kick in.

I haven't setup automation on the drain pan (unit in attic), but I'd like too as well. We've had an issue in the past. There is a float switch in the pan now, I'll probably just add another one and set it up as a zone in the Omni. Extra runs were pulled into the attic for zone AC, but never used. Looks like this would work if you want to go z-wave: Wireless Z-Wave Multi-Input/Output Dry Contact Bridge; Cert ID: ZC08-16040002 - Household Alarms And Detectors - Amazon.com

Hope that is helpful.

Comment

Working...
    X