Best way to inject data into InfluxDB from devices supporting SNMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to inject data into InfluxDB from devices supporting SNMP

I'm defining a new project to add to my roadmap.

I want to monitor devices such as my hypervisor, server, serial servers, NAS, UPS, etc.. and store these metrics in InfluxDB. Below two options are indicated and of course each option has advantages and disadvantages.

For e.g. option 1 has the option to create buckets for each device, higher availability, etc...

Which solution will be the best to apply? Or do you suggest another solution?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture - InfluxDB v2.PNG
Views:	219
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1527942
    ---
    John

Last edited by John245; February 18, 2022, 03:15 AM. Reason: Updated architecture

McsMQTT has the ability to push data to InfluxDB from MQTT topics but also from any HS devices. That could be an option I guess.

Comment

I don't understand the second option as HS does not have a native method to store in InfluxDB.

Since NodeRed is your data concentrator it should be routing data as well. Have it store in InfluxDB and have it provide the data to HS via either the HS Node-Red plugin or mcsMQTT plugin. I'm assuming that the HS plugin has a websocket that can be setup to receive Node-Red data whenever Node-Red desires to send it. I have not use the HS plugin so cannot comment on merits.

mcsMQTT is not a good choice as the source for InfluxDB data because it does not support multiple buckets. Even it it did the Node-Red to InfluxDB route would be preferred because of fewer steps in the data routing.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
        I don't understand the second option as HS does not have a native method to store in InfluxDB.

Since NodeRed is your data concentrator it should be routing data as well. Have it store in InfluxDB and have it provide the data to HS via either the HS Node-Red plugin or mcsMQTT plugin. I'm assuming that the HS plugin has a websocket that can be setup to receive Node-Red data whenever Node-Red desires to send it. I have not use the HS plugin so cannot comment on merits.

mcsMQTT is not a good choice as the source for InfluxDB data because it does not support multiple buckets. Even it it did the Node-Red to InfluxDB route would be preferred because of fewer steps in the data routing.
        Michael, you are correct, I updated the architecture diagram.

Your assumption of the websocket is correct. I have over 300 Modbus devices in Node-Red that will provide the status to HomeSeer.

---
        John

Comment

I will continue discussions here https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...l-metrics-data ast the topic was to limited.

---
          John

Comment

A lot of my non homeseer devices are pumped to influxdb by using the telegraf agent.
            Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
            Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
            Number of Devices: 633
            Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
            2.0.54.0: BLBackup
            2.0.40.0: BLLAN
            3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
            30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
            3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
            3.0.0.87: weatherXML
            3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
              McsMQTT has the ability to push data to InfluxDB from MQTT topics but also from any HS devices. That could be an option I guess.
              Someone else from Carlisle MA posts here?
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
              Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
              weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post

Someone else from Carlisle MA posts here?
                No, when it shows 'Guest', the location shown is always your own. I see London. Forum bug.... Back to the OP question responses
                Jon

Comment

Working...
                X