Opinions on Zooz devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on Zooz devices

I've only purchased two devices from Zooz. They were both the same type and model. I found the website did not match up to the documentation enclosed with the device and the documentation in the device packaging did not match up to the functionality with HS4. There were also a few other issues I had to work through. That being said, I would like to try more Zooz products but I am a bit hesitant.

I would like to get feedback on Zooz products and experiences. If it is overly negative, please message me with your comments instead of posting them. It appears to me Zooz is a small startup and it is not my intent to create harm. I just want to hear about user experiences to help me decide if I want to try them again at this point or purchase products from other companies.

Following...
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I've had good experience with Zooz products. I currently use a number of zooz devices--Zen25 double plug, Zen15 HD switches, Zen26 switches, Zen27 dimmers, Zen34 remote switch. The only problem I've had was the Zen25 died because I connected a PC case fan to it. Even though it was my fault for connecting an inductive load, they immediately sent me a replacement at no cost. To be fair, the Zen26 and 27 paddle switches and Zen34 remote are in a weekend house so they don't get a lot of use so my data is limited. But the double plug and two HD switches are in my primary home and are used daily.

I tried a now discontinued ZSE09 motion sensor a few years ago. Never worked well--lots of falses and poor battery life--and it's been in the drawer ever since.
      -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post
        ... Even though it was my fault for connecting an inductive load, they immediately sent me a replacement at no cost. ...
        With the issues I had, I did find they have stellar support. Quick responses and willing to try and do what it took to meet my satisfaction. Quite often I find it's better to purchase good products with excellent support then excellent products with pathetic support.

Comment

I don't have many of them, but based on the performance of the ones I have, I *will* own more.
          HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
          Home Assistant 2024.3
          Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
          Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
          Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
          WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
          AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Zooz is the "house" brand of www.thesmartesthouse.com . I've had good luck with their devices except for the power strips. After a power failure two of them died and I was told it was because the draw from the plugged in items was too low. Go figure They were all RPis or network switches.

Comment

I have a bunch of Zooz products. and have more coming. So far everything has worked well with the exception of their ZSE41 door/window sensors. They are extremely fragile, I have sent 3 back so for. 2 of them I think I may have busted removing them and one I know I didn't.

All 3 failed the same way, no longer sense the magnet (no blue indicator light either)

Pro's:
              Good Range and Function
              Good price, great if you get them on sale
              FANTASTIC customer service. Some of the best I've experienced in this space.

Cons:
              ZSE41 is extremely fragile and prone to failure.
              They don't produce an auxiliary z-wave wall switches, and to my knowledge all of there z-wave wall switches require a standard 2,3,4 way aux switch for multi-way setups. I like having all my switches Up for on, and down for off.
              RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
                They don't produce an auxiliary z-wave wall switches, and to my knowledge all of there z-wave wall switches require a standard 2,3,4 way aux switch for multi-way setups. I like having all my switches Up for on, and down for off.
                Given their switches/dimmers are often on sale for about the price other companies sell companion switches, I wonder if you couldn't just direct-associate multiple z-wave switches (or dimmers)?
                -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
                  ... So far everything has worked well with the exception of their ZSE41 door/window sensors...
                  The ZSE41 is the very item I had/have issues with. I wondered if i was being a little harsh due to issues with one product. Being new at this, I figured I should ask those with much more experience. As with all products and companies, I'm sure not everybody has a positive opinion, but all the comments I see appear informative and fair.

Thank you very much!

Comment

I...The only problem I've had was the Zen25 died because I connected a PC case fan to it. ...
                    I have a Zen25 that is dying. One outlet has a TV connected, and the other a wall-wart for an IP camera. It does not seem to be a robust device, even though it sounds like it is using relays to switch each outlet on and off.

Comment

Given their switches/dimmers are often on sale for about the price other companies sell companion switches, I wonder if you couldn't just direct-associate multiple z-wave switches (or dimmers)?
                      Not sure, what would the wiring kook like?
                      RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Coz View Post
                        I've only purchased two devices from Zooz. They were both the same type and model. I found the website did not match up to the documentation enclosed with the device and the documentation in the device packaging did not match up to the functionality with HS4. There were also a few other issues I had to work through. That being said, I would like to try more Zooz products but I am a bit hesitant.

I would like to get feedback on Zooz products and experiences. If it is overly negative, please message me with your comments instead of posting them. It appears to me Zooz is a small startup and it is not my intent to create harm. I just want to hear about user experiences to help me decide if I want to try them again at this point or purchase products from other companies.
                        I have lots of Zooz products and I am very pleased with them. I just installed their Titan Valve Actuator this morning. It has a superior design over similar products, was very easy to install and to include in HomeSeer HS4. Also, as others have commented, I have found their support to be incredibly good. Elliott
                        "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
                        "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

I've had 3 Zooz power bars. All 3 died within 4 years. I exchanged one under warranty. Didn't bother with the others. There's something broken in its design. Super sensitive to the power supply type of the connected device. Switched power supply will kill it sooner rather than later. I think they mention that somewhere in their documentation.

ZSE09 motion/light combo is also underwhelming. Light sensor is close to useless, and lots of false triggers on the motion. You can adjust motion sensitivity, but that goes only so far. I can bring it into situation where it triggers motion every 30 seconds (exactly 30 seconds) when no one is around. So, can't trust it.

I also have a bunch of ZEN15's. They are rock solid. Not exactly cheap here in Canada, but worth every penny.

Comment

I prefer zooz because they have toggle style switches. I have both the zooz toggle zwave on/off and dimmers and now the zwave+ on/off and dimmers... a good mess of them.
                            I will either replace all the non + to + soon, or wait for my next house but I believe that will not happen anytime soon due to housing prices.

if you buy in bulk, email them and they will give you a discount.

I emailed them telling them that their individual switches were available; however the 2 packs were not. She asked how many 2 packs I wanted and said 2 of dimmer and 1 on/off and she gave me the 2 pack prices....

stellar service where I do not even question anything other than if an item meets my needs... that is it!
                            HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Just a heads up, I'm starting to have trouble with another ZSE41. This one is starting to become 'flaky' (blue light won't flash all the time with an open or close event), unlike the others where they failed dead.

I'm starting to think these things have some serious design flaws. Is it just me, is anyone else see these fail?
                              RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Working...
                              X