No announcement yet.

Opinions on Zooz devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have some 3-way switches in my house that aren't wired in the way that the GE switches can work. It's been a long time since I looked at them, but I couldn't get it to work.

I'm very intrigued by their S2 switch, where I can maintain the existing mechanical switch. I will probably try one, provided my wiring looks okay tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by NickTheGreat View Post
      I have some 3-way switches in my house that aren't wired in the way that the GE switches can work. It's been a long time since I looked at them, but I couldn't get it to work.

I'm very intrigued by their S2 switch, where I can maintain the existing mechanical switch. I will probably try one, provided my wiring looks okay tonight.
      I have some of them and they work fine.. i prefer all my switches matching so to have a normal switch and automated next to it.. looks different in dual box.
      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I have two of their multi relays which work great, and their support is top notch, replying to my emails within a day if I have issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
          Zooz is the "house" brand of www.thesmartesthouse.com . I've had good luck with their devices except for the power strips. After a power failure two of them died and I was told it was because the draw from the plugged in items was too low. Go figure They were all RPis or network switches.
          A little late to the thread...

I've had reasonably good luck with Zooz. The ZEN15 has been stellar for me. The wall switches and dimmers are good as well. They might be a little slower to respond when multi-tap is enabled. The ZEN25 double plug is a good idea, but of the 5 I purchased, 1 quit reporting energy, one outlet on another began randomly toggling by itself . Of the 6 ZEN20 power strips I bought all failed. Their tech support had a whole long list of items that couldn't be controlled, among them routers, chargers, motors.

Click image for larger version  Name:	capture.png Views:	71 Size:	41.8 KB ID:	1545222

I can understand motors, but a 7 watt router? Charger? Please. One of mine that failed had a router, 2 modems and two computers. The other 4 all had items on the OK list. Additionally, several times over the years I was losing them, they would intermittently stop reporting energy for one or several outlets or an outlet would stop responding to switch controls. . A rescan does not help. Excluding and and including them again cured it. It galls me somewhat to throw away $380 worth of devices, but the warranty was gone.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

LOL randy I think they meant the "power tool" when they said routers. I'm not sure why they would have singled that out and not mentioned circular saws, etc vs. simply saying "power tools". Everything on the DON'T side is an inductive load which probably means they are using FET switches.

I have several ZEN26 V2s, a couple of ZEN24 V4s, as well as several ZEN32 and ZEN34 scene controllers, I had a weird problem with a ZEN32 when I first installed it but a factory reset, exclude, and re-include resolved the issue. I agree, great technical support.

I recently added a couple ZSE44 battery operated temp/humidity sensors. They seem to be very chatty and therefore have terrible battery life. It's on my list to reach out to support but haven't done that yet.

Overall, as a brand, I'd recommend Zooz.
            "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
              LOL randy I think they meant the "power tool" when they said routers. I'm not sure why they would have singled that out and not mentioned circular saws, etc vs. simply saying "power tools". Everything on the DON'T side is an inductive load which probably means they are using FET switches.
              They actually use relays for switching. MOSFETS are usually relegated to dimmers, except for the Hybrid HS-WX300 which is programmed to make the MOSFET emulate a relay when in the switch mode.

Inductive loads such as motors, I understand and while not an inductive load, a heater is high current. But I don't understand chargers, unless they mean high current automobile battery chargers. WRT routers thought the same thing, but Agnes said it meant network routers. All that being said, the failures in my strips were largely communications problems, I never had a single outlet failure, which would seem to be the expected result if the load was responsible.

My wife's Mini Cooper plug-in hybrid charger (level 1 - 120V 15A) is monitored with a ZEN 15 and it is just fine.

Comment

Well, that one's a head scratcher then. Subject to voltage spikes from cable line?
                "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                  Well, that one's a head scratcher then. Subject to voltage spikes from cable line?
                  My thinking is problems with the internal power supply to the electronics. Much like the problems with the early HS-WS100 switches, most of them failed within the first year or two. Most of the failures resulted in them clicking off and on when ON. I was suspicious of noise in the low voltage power supply in them, but they were not built in a way that made them easy to disassemble, diagnose and repair. With all the problems I have seen with surface mount electrolytics over the last couple of decades, that would be my first guess. I spent over 40 years in consumer electronics repair and that was by far the most likely component to fail in a variety of ways. Most commonly high ESR and/or leakage.

Comment

I just recentl had one of my 3 ZEN20's fail. The other 2 are starting to act flaky.

Just like Randy's, communication failure. They Lock up, no control or routing.

Power cycle fixes it for a while, but always locks back up.

This one had very few hours on it, as it sat unplugged as a spare for almost 2 years.

RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

i had 2 go bad over the last few years but they say do not use with ceiling fans.. well i have no option so i am going to and just replace as I need too.
                      Other than that, i have been buying them and adding all over... got a mess of them now and 4 more on the counter... well 3 cuz i just installed one to replace the dead one.

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                        i had 2 go bad over the last few years but they say do not use with ceiling fans.. well i have no option so i am going to and just replace as I need too.
                        Other than that, i have been buying them and adding all over... got a mess of them now and 4 more on the counter... well 3 cuz i just installed one to replace the dead one.
                        The Zen30 is a light dimmer and fan switch that works great for ceiling fan/light combos.

Edit: The Zen32 also has a relay that works well for ceiling fans. It's assigned to button 5 by default which leaves buttons1-4 for scene control.

Comment

I've purchased a ZEN17 Double Relay and a ZSE43 Tilt Sensor from them and both items were easy to get up and working. I used them to automate my Garage Door Opener and they're working great for about two months now. Really like the significant documentation support available as well as their customer service quick response. Time will tell as to their reliability but so far I'm impressed and will probably buy some ZEN 76/77 switches from them in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgiaDutchman View Post
                            I've purchased a ZEN17 Double Relay and a ZSE43 Tilt Sensor from them and both items were easy to get up and working. I used them to automate my Garage Door Opener and they're working great for about two months now. Really like the significant documentation support available as well as their customer service quick response. Time will tell as to their reliability but so far I'm impressed and will probably buy some ZEN 76/77 switches from them in the near future.
                            awesome to know on tilt sensor....i have ds10a's with merc switches and are far from w800 and can be tricky at times. might have to get these since i have a nice strong zwave network

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgiaDutchman View Post
                              Does the sensor report just a single 'tilt' or does it report degrees of the tilt?

The reason I ask is that I want to know when the top panel of my door is tilted back to 45deg or so instead of 0deg. This tells me if the door is partially open for our pet to go in/out.
                              HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post

Does the sensor report just a single 'tilt' or does it report degrees of the tilt?

The reason I ask is that I want to know when the top panel of my door is tilted back to 45deg or so instead of 0deg. This tells me if the door is partially open for our pet to go in/out.
                                I'm not sure about the ZSE43 but the ones I have (can't remember the brand) only report near 0 and near 90. We vent our garage doors in the Summer, similar to what you're doing for your pet. I installed a magnetic security reed switch on each door and monitor them with a Sonoff SV. Each door has a Sonoff SV with the relay being used to pulse the door opener and a GPIO to monitor the switch closure. The tilt sensor provides "open" or "closed" status and the reed switch provides "not secure" status. The tilt sensor triggers lighting events and the reed switch state is used to determine if the door needs to be closed.

Comment

Working...
                                X