Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoothtlk
    Guest replied
    Here's a post with prewire suggestions (including the video tape tip - BTW, put a tape measure on the floor when you video or digital picture your wiring before drywall).

http://www.caseserve.com/cinemar/php...opic.php?t=273

Leave a comment:

• FryGuy
    replied
    Document all wire drops

Forgot who mentioned it in another post but they actually took a video camera (or at least digital pics) of exactly where the wire drops are if they will be hidden with drywall

Could save a huge plaster job later

Leave a comment:

• nightwalker
    replied
    all that was said was very good advice, i'd just like to add one more point. 3 way switches really aren't needed in the automated house. you can control anything from anywhere. the only reason for 3 ways was to have control of a light from two different places. With automation you have control from where ever you want it. to me any of the divices that were developed as 3 ways, a master and slave switch was only to deal with what a builder had already done in a house, not because it makes anything work better. my opinion of course

Leave a comment:

• lhfarm
    replied
    I believe the move in date is late spring/early summer. The builder hasn't returned my call, so I will ask. I tried to get the builder to attend the show (don't remember what it was called) in Indy last year where HST was giving a talk. I also tried find an HA installer in central Indiana that might work with them and came up empty. I don't really feel qualified to be a consultant, but I don't want them to a) get screwed and b) be unhappy with the results.

bt

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Yes and Yes.
    I would suggest using Z-Wave in the areas where 3Ways aren't needed (while waiting on true 3way Z-Wave switches). There are some new transmitter switches available that can enable a 3way scenario though.

The Pro-100 would be an excellent addition if money is no object but it relatively untested and a new piece of hardware so that goes with risks. When is the scheduled move in date. This could drive a few answers as the Pro-100 may get more miles under it's belt and the 3way Z-wave switches may be available. One warning though. Z-Wave switch communication distances could be a problem in a 7000 sq ft home.

Leave a comment:

• lhfarm
    replied
    This helps, thanks

A couple of more questions. I've been trying to follow the z-wave messages. I don't have any experience and I suspect there will be a large number of 3-4 way switches required (haven't seen the electrical plans. Is the general thinking that they will need to mix x-10 and z-wave or should they just wait on z-wave and go all x-10 for switches.

I can't tell from the page if the Pro-100 is available yet. Anyone have thoughts on suggesting this as there HS server? Again, these aren't techies, so the simpler we can keep this, the better.

bt

Leave a comment:

• fireball
    Guest replied
    If you can run wire over going wireless ALWAYS do it. Doens't matter what it is for, hard wiring, if given the chance will be better.
    As for the cameras, if they're going wireless they better go high end or else people driving by with a receiver can pick that up for themselves to see what's going on.

Leave a comment:

• dkindred
    replied
    Just a couple of wiring ideas from our house. We ran the following:

* (at least) 2 CAT5 to each room. Some rooms have several drops (family room, office)
    * One QS RG6 to each room.
    * CAT3 for motion detectors to all room ceilings
    * CAT3 for floor sensors to areas that will be covered with drywayy
    * Antenna runs from the attic to TV locations
    * QS RG6 and CAT5 together to camera locations on all corners of the house and front door.
    * CAT5 to kitchen and hallway walls where we might embed a touchscreen in the future.
    * Surround sound wiring in family room
    * 14ga, 4 conductor speaker wire to volume control in each room, then 2 conductor to each of the ceiling speakers. These are dedicated to music.
    * Separate 2 conductor speaker wire to a single speaker in each room, used for HS TTS. We didn't want these controlled by a volume knob that could be turned off by our kids.
    * CAT5 to each thermostat location.
    * CAT3 to critical windows and doors.
    * Weather station wiring to roof.
    * Also, consider having some 3-gang boxes placed where you would have 2-gangs installed, so you can wire in an AC multi-button controller there.

I think we pulled 2 miles of wire in our house. Maybe a bit more, and I know I'm not recalling all the applications for which we pulled wire.

Hope that helps a little.

--David

Leave a comment:

• lhfarm
    replied
    Remember we are in Indiana...

Originally posted by smee
    I believe in a lot of areas that it is illegal to run power to closets. They don't want power in places that will have clothing or a lot of clutter. So you may not be able to get places like bedroom and hall closets wired for power.

The builder may need to create specific wiring closets that will not be used for storage for this kind of applications.
    During our remodeling, we had outlets added to the walk-in closet. There wasn't an issue with the inspection, but I'll ask. I am running a KVM over cat5, with the computer in the server room and I am having issues with the screen going blank. I just think using a small factor CPU in the area is better. It may be that we will have to do some creative hiding if we can't do the closet.

bt

Leave a comment:

• Msekelsky
    replied
    Don't forget deep electrical boxes

Leave a comment:

• smee
    Guest replied
    I believe in a lot of areas that it is illegal to run power to closets. They don't want power in places that will have clothing or a lot of clutter. So you may not be able to get places like bedroom and hall closets wired for power.

The builder may need to create specific wiring closets that will not be used for storage for this kind of applications.

Leave a comment:

• nightwalker
    replied
    you seem to be on the right track there, one other thing that is cheap and will come in handy for the future is to put in several 2" thin wall pipes from basement to attic to give at least a chance to pull in some wires that will get left or or not even thought of yet.

Leave a comment:

• lhfarm
    replied
    The builder told the husband, who is tech phobic "Don't worry you will just have to speak to the computer." That was what really got me going on this. I also think touch screens (HS and MainLobby) is perfect for them - what I call a "point and grunt" interface. I am actually thinking about suggesting some wiring to hall and bedroom closets to hid a CPU, with provisions to hang LCD touchscreens on the other side of the wall in a number of locations.

bt

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    bt,
    As far as cameras goes there is no question that wired is a far superior solution that wireless is and if they are building a house that big then a few more hundred feet or wire isn't going to matter.

As far as mics go. The best solution would be wired back to a mixer but with HS2.0 coming out and the advent of the mini PCs, a pc per mic would work equally as well. Here is a link to one of the newer smaller media pc's

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...865&class=mega

Leave a comment:

• lhfarm
    started a topic Help! - Need to give advice to friend's builder today

Help! - Need to give advice to friend's builder today

Friends are building a 7,000 sq ft (yep) house. Wiring starts this week. Their builder has been planning their automation advice, but they are new to this. I've been asked to talk to them.

Two quick questions to start -
    Given HS2 would you plant mics in the wall going back to a mixer or consider using a local PC for VR?

Builder wants them to use wireless cameras outside. I still think wired is better and if you can wire you should. Do you agree?

Comments?

bt
Working...
X