Motion Sensor placement ideas for fewer triggers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion Sensor placement ideas for fewer triggers

I use the traditional X10 brand IR motion sensors, Hawkeyes and eagle eyes. have 4 deployed, not too many. 2 outside 2 inside.

I have good coverage, and infact the problem is too good. I had no idea that in the time I have had Homeseer, mid December, I have had over 50,000 event triggers!!!! Reviewing ultralog, I can see that its mostly these sensors...

I discovered this while testing code that monitors on and off times for my 2 furnaces. On or off triggers come up missing, which is going to happen somewhat, but it seems to be the motion sensors killing it. I can look at putting the furnace monitors on a SECU16 to my Ocelot and will do that over time.

I am wondeing what ideas might be out there for sensor placement that gets definite recognition, without over doing it . Today they tend to be set for the widest area pickup, and maybe I need a few more sensors with specific coverage.

If this has happened to you, can you share ideas you've come up with? Higher? Lower? ???

(Some additional tidbits... The outside ones don't pick up passing cars, and are set for only night time transmission. I do have a dog, he is probably causing some of this inside)

Paul
    Paul

Paul,
    Is the problem that the motion sensors are flooding your powerlines with X10 activity?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

If it is a matter of too much traffic on the lines from the motion sensors, causing your other traffic not to get through, I suggest a CM19. In fact I recommend that to anyone using motion sensors at all. I have motion sensors all over the place, and when a few people are moving around, the traffic is really high, and can kill a lot of other x10 traffic on the powerlines. The CM19 will wirelessly pick up the motions sensors through RF to the cm19 that will not interfere with traffic on the power lines. Just set the motion sensors to a housecode not used by any of your plugged in X10 tranceivers. You can pick one up at Automated Outlet for $20 here.

Also if you are using the one outside MS just for light detection, you can take it appart and mask off the motion detector portion with a piece of tape, or you can simply point it in a dirrection that no motion will be picked up, but it will still receive light, straight up for instance.

As for your dog, I had the same problem here. I placed the motion on a low shelf in the corner of the room main room where I had a lot of triggers from my dog, and back just a little bit, this way it can't "see" below the shelf, but will pic anything up more than waist high that moves in the room.
      Visit My Home Seer Site at:
      www.JohnWPB.com
      Created with LCARS

Comment

Rupp

Right. Flood is too strong a word. There is not one beaconing continuosly. There are just many, many tirggers. I realized now that when I installed these, I placed a few sensord for maximum effect. Probably too much.

I have one in the kitchen, that can sense all activity in the kitchen, family room, back door, and two other entraces inside the house into that area. I think its doing what I asked. Sometimes there is activity in each of those area separately, sometimes together. Today, thats all making it trigger. I think if I replaced one with several each focused on a tighter area, I would get few hits. I think the dog is causing a lot too.

Paul
        Paul

Comment

John-

Thats great! So I skip the entry of the rf signals onto the powerline. What's the range like that you have seen? Inside, I need to about 30 feet to where the PC is.

For the outside, I think I am ok. 1 is in dog range. I had it there before the dog because not only does it catch people, but there was a skunk at one point in time, and the light coming on kept it away. Since the dog is here, it should keep the skunk away (yes he has been sprayed.....once.... ), and I can relocate that sensor.

Thanks! Rupp, thank you too. You are always well thought out on your answers.

Paul
          Paul

Comment

Paul,
            Not to confuse you but I would highly recommend the W800. It's a very high quality RF receiver that also receives the X10 door and window sensors as well as other rf devices. It's range is the best among RF receivers and there is a free plugin available here on the BB. I started with a MR26A and moved over the the W800 for the increase in range.

Comment

Rupp-
              Thanks... I am easily confused.....

It looks like it connects directly too the pc too.

Paul
              Paul

Comment

Rupp,
                Did I read somewhere that when using the W800 you should un-check the retransmit boxes?
                Mike

Comment

Yes Mike if you do not need the data received "put" on the powerline then you definitely want to uncheck that option.

Comment

pbibm,
                    You do plug the W800 directly into the PC. The motion sensors will then communicate directly to your PC, not to a transceiver then go over the powerline to your X10 interface and then to your PC. This is good for multiple reasons, mainly its faster (fewer and faster hops between detector and your PC) and frees up the powerline so that HS can send out signals to control your devices which means far fewer collisions and more reliable operation. I don't have a W800 but I do have a CM19a. It works well enough where I live but I would really like to have a W800 instead.
                    Mike,
                    Again, I've got a CM19a and not a W800 but if the plugins are even remotely similiar then you can check and uncheck according to your needs. I've got retransmit checked on my A housecodes and unchecked on my other ones. That way, when you hit A7 on on my stick-a-switch outside the bedroom then HS will retransmit that code on the powerline and turn the light on in my bedroom which is a good thing. On the flip side, when the bathroom motion detector sees you walking in at 3am and sends out a D1 on signal HS will see that there's activity in there and transmit only the codes to turn on the bathroom and hallway lights and not the D1 which would only make things run that much slower.

Comment

Fireball-

Thanks, and that makes sense. I have some stick a switches too, and it turns out they are further away from the pc and therefore the w800 or CM19a. There are limits to serial and USB cable lengths for placing the receiver. I can experiment with it to see what will work.

I can use my existing X10 tranciever for those on house code dedicated to stick a switch. They dont get used much, by comparison, and they fire first time almost all of the time, and when they don't.. press it again. Its rare. With reduced PIR traffic on the powerline, I would expect them to perform perfectly.

Reviewing my ultralog again, its what johnpwb points out, when we are active in the house and have people over, the motion sensors fire frequently. I don't lose data from my furnace monitors at night.

Thanks guys, this really helps me

Paul
                      Paul

Comment

Extending the range of the CM19 / MR26

There are quite a few ways and methods to extend the range of the CM19 as well as the MR26 (Same principle). One is this link.

There is a complete discussion in THIS THREAD.

I have not tried any of these personally, as I got lucky as my HS machine is smack dab in the center of all of my devices, and well within range.
                        Visit My Home Seer Site at:
                        www.JohnWPB.com
                        Created with LCARS

Comment

I was hoping this would come up and that would be possible. I have a regular x10 RFtransciever that I took the antenna off of, and added a length of cat5 at the full wavelength length of the ~400mhx signal. I was able to feed this out of my brick garage so my two outside eagleeys make there.

Thanks John! I am outta here for some snowmobiling.... Have a great weekend
                          Paul

Comment

Johnwpb

The CM19 will wirelessly pick up the motions sensors through RF to the cm19 that will not interfere with traffic on the power lines. Just set the motion sensors to a housecode not used by any of your plugged in X10 tranceivers.
                            How does Homeseer know about the CM19A? I see that there are active x controls for the CM11A & CM17A. does one of these work for simple X10 control

I found 19As on ebay for $10, its worth it to see what happens. Thanks!

Paul
                            Paul

Comment

Working...
                            X