Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A game changer in room presence detection is almost here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
    Wim indicated ...
    Ah, over looked that, thanks. Yea $80 is a bit on the steep side but if they work as well as some of the editorials they will definitely have a spot in my automation.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post

Now, if somebody would market an electrified Z-Wave or Zigbee refrigerator handle so they wouldn't hold the door open and gaze, mesmerized, into the refrigerator like it was a TV.
      I've already done this, minus the electrified handle.
      My LG fridge already has a door timer alarm built-in, so it will chime if left open too long.

On top of that, I wanted hard data to show myself (and family if I needed to play that card) to see if my fridge was operating as expected. I also wanted to be alerted in case we were away and the fridge temp was at risk (power loss, malfunction, etc).

So stuck an Aqara zigbee temp/humidity sensor in the fridge and collected data over a week+ time. From looking at the data I was able to determine the natural cyclic nature of operation and then the abnormalities ie, people holding the door open. Determined that anything above 50deg F was not good, it then triggers a voice prompt, sms text, etc. Gets everyone's attention. There's then an event that detects if it returns to normal and sends that message, that way if I'm away I don't have to rush home, alert a neighbor, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	841
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	1540510

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

I've already done this, minus the electrified handle.
        My LG fridge already has a door timer alarm built-in, so it will chime if left open too long.

On top of that, I wanted hard data to show myself (and family if I needed to play that card) to see if my fridge was operating as expected. I also wanted to be alerted in case we were away and the fridge temp was at risk (power loss, malfunction, etc).

So stuck an Aqara zigbee temp/humidity sensor in the fridge and collected data over a week+ time. From looking at the data I was able to determine the natural cyclic nature of operation and then the abnormalities ie, people holding the door open. Determined that anything above 50deg F was not good, it then triggers a voice prompt, sms text, etc. Gets everyone's attention. There's then an event that detects if it returns to normal and sends that message, that way if I'm away I don't have to rush home, alert a neighbor, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	841
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	1540510
        Someone has too much time on their hands
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have a stereo camera rig (yes, it's more money) that not only detects presence, but can tell who the person is (most of the time). Once it's figured out who you are it keeps track even if you turn your back. That could really help with refrigerator notifications...
          Me: "Johnny, quit holding the refrigerator door open..."
          Johnny: "How do you know it's me?"
          Me: "Trust me, I know..."
          Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
            I have been using this sensor technology for a few years and agree it has advantages over PIR. There are a few different ones described in the mcsMQTT user manual.

it looks like Aqara has also integrated a processor to analyze delta motion direction and position. This means it should be possible to sense entering vs. leaving. Note that this frequency penetrates walls so room boundaries may not be easy to isolate. The sensor is 360 degree FOV, but Aqara has blocked more than 50%. Likely so it can better support direction of motion analysis.

Zigbee is a fine interface technology, but the sensor draws too much current to be run on batteries. The need for power wiring could make desired placement a challenge vs the Hawkeye.

Zigbee2mqtt does have this device implemented so when it becomes available in USA it will have an interface to HS with mcsMQTT.

What it needs is a Cam with object recognition logic so it can not only detect presence, but what is present.
            With you 100%, if is me out the TV on, if wife put the radio off. Hopefully one day

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Shultz View Post
              I have a stereo camera rig (yes, it's more money) that not only detects presence, but can tell who the person is (most of the time). Once it's figured out who you are it keeps track even if you turn your back. That could really help with refrigerator notifications...
              Me: "Johnny, quit holding the refrigerator door open..."
              Johnny: "How do you know it's me?"
              Me: "Trust me, I know..."
              The old Kinects and Kinect plug-in?
              Karl S
              HS4Pro on Windows 10
              1070 Devices
              56 Z-Wave Nodes
              104 Events
              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
              Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Originally posted by John245 View Post
                Would be nice if they create an in-ceiling version. This would not pass the WAF.

---
                John
                I have it now hidden behind a photoframe and it works fine this way. I will also test it inwall - like Michael McSharry says, it could go through walls. I am not really sure, but I will test it for sure later this week. If that works you could probably also find a way to use the device somewhere up high where it is hard to find.

racerfern and mikee123 It is hard to find one as they come and are away fast. The challenge is, that it only is available for China I guess. On aqara,com you will also only find the Chinese page for the device: https://www.aqara.com/cn/productDeta...e-Detector-FP1. Also the device's manual is only chinese, so I guess they are only teasing the outside market to see if it is open for this device? The only way to catch it at aliexpress is try searching for the aqara fp1, over and over. At least, that is what I did.

Wim
                -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post

I have it now hidden behind a photoframe and it works fine this way. I will also test it inwall - like Michael McSharry says, it could go through walls. I am not really sure, but I will test it for sure later this week. If that works you could probably also find a way to use the device somewhere up high where it is hard to find.

racerfern and mikee123 It is hard to find one as they come and are away fast. The challenge is, that it only is available for China I guess. On aqara,com you will also only find the Chinese page for the device: https://www.aqara.com/cn/productDeta...e-Detector-FP1. Also the device's manual is only chinese, so I guess they are only teasing the outside market to see if it is open for this device? The only way to catch it at aliexpress is try searching for the aqara fp1, over and over. At least, that is what I did.

Wim
                  Yes I will do that too. After seeing the youtube video I realised its called FP1, niot FP2 as mentioned in another post, but none available at the moment. I'll keep looking.

Comment

I will also test it inwall - like Michael McSharry says, it could go through walls
                    The basic technology is looking for a reflection of a transmitted millimeter wave signal. Things like wood. glass and gypsum may attenuate the wave, but it still should pass. Things like metal and water (human body) will reflect the wave and would be used by the sensor to detect something present. Think of it much like your WiFi that is able to pass through walls, but penetration/coverage dependent upon the signal strength.

Comment

Nothing new here. Microwave sensors have been available for professional use for a long time. (KNX and Zigbee)
                      We have been selling them over the past 18 or so months.
                      What would have been new is the if the price was around $20-30 which prices them into the tinker market.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Cat View Post
                        Nothing new here. Microwave sensors have been available for professional use for a long time. (KNX and Zigbee)
                        We have been selling them over the past 18 or so months.
                        What would have been new is the if the price was around $20-30 which prices them into the tinker market.
                        Can you provide a link to a Zigbee microwave sensor that people can purchase today?

Comment

This is available from us, for other regions google would be your best bet or if there is enough interest we could look at arranging drop shipping direct from the manufacturer.

https://www.blackcatcontrolsystems.c...e-Being-Sensor

Comment

Originally posted by Black Cat View Post
                            This is available from us, for other regions google would be your best bet or if there is enough interest we could look at arranging drop shipping direct from the manufacturer.

https://www.blackcatcontrolsystems.c...e-Being-Sensor
                            I love the fact that yours is a ceiling mount. I have some older IR ceiling receivers for IR distribution through the house that are no longer used, but they are there as the hole is already cut in the ceiling. I have the power wires running to them as well. And magically, almost every one is in the dead center of a room as I just wanted to point a remote at the receiver and have it echoed to the entertainment center.

Hope these become real, I can easily see lots of uses for them.

The only problem that I can see is that it says it can detect human breathing. I assume that a dog breathing would also qualify? That could be a WAF concern!

Comment

The ceiling mount one I use for my garage works extremely well. No matter which of four doors are entered the light comes on immediately. In the case of entry from the house the light is on before the door opens as the sensor detects somebody near the wood door. This has been discussed in other threads in this board and the specific product is referenced in the mcsMQTT user manual. It was $7 from Ali Express when I obtained a few. It is just a dry contact relay that turns on when motion is detected. It turns off after a fixed amount of time that is a dial setting on the sensor. It also have a range adjustment so you can limit the detection range.

In my case I use the relay to turn on the garage lights. It could also be used as an input to any technology one prefers to let HS know about the motion event.

Comment

Michael McSharry what sensors are you using? I really need something like that for the garage but other rooms would be great, too. Can you power these from 110V ((with some converter)? We have recessed lights and ceiling fans in each room so I am considering getting power from there. Though power is only available when the devices are on so I would need some kind of backup power source.

Comment

Working...
                                X