Windows Xp HS3 update -> Windows 10 HS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Xp HS3 update -> Windows 10 HS4

Apologies if there is a post on this.. i looked but couldn't find anything. So after many years (been faithfully using hs since beta .96v) decided its time to update my OS and HS version. The issue is I can't find information on how to do this and retain settings per XP OS. I'm unable to uninstall HS3 and keep temp files / settings so I'm thinking I need to install new OS and copy HS3 after. Does anyone know what i would do to manually remove HS3 but keep settings and config files, plugins?

I'm almost tempted to install CentOS Linux and install HS with that. I am a HPC Linux sysadmin by profession.

Thanks so much for any insight!

First thing, make sure you are running the latest version of HS3 on your XP setup. This should be 3.0.0.548

If necessary, you can upgrade using the file here.

Take a copy of the entire Homeseer 3 directory to a thumb drive etc, taking a note of the current installation directory.

Next, install Windows 10.

Reinstall Homeseer 3 V3.0.0.548 using the file download here. Ensure you select the same directory as you used under XP

This will ensure HS3 is installed correctly in the new OS.

Finally, with HS3 shut down, copy over your existing Homeseer 3 installation (thumb drive) over the top of the newly installed version.

You should now have your existing HS3 setup working on your new OS.

If you now want to upgrade to HS4, follow these instructions.
    Jon

Comment

Hi Jon,

Perfect! very succinct info! I really appreciate it as I have been putting off upgrading for a number of years due to this. I appreciate your taking the time to post on this.

Many Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by dallison View Post
        Hi Jon,

Perfect! very succinct info! I really appreciate it as I have been putting off upgrading for a number of years due to this. I appreciate your taking the time to post on this.

Many Thanks!
        That is the way I did it and it worked perfectly.
        sigpic
        A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Thanks Gogs, that is good to know-

Comment

Sorry - question.. win 10 has program files (x86) and program files which I assume is 64 bit. Is this an issue if it installs to programs files (x86) which is different than the XP install of c:/program files? Thanks..

Comment

Should work fine. Homeseer by default will install in the Program Files (x86) directory. Where you will see a difference is when plugin authors put entire directory structures in the config files for their apps.

Here utilize mostly Ubuntu these days to run Homeseer with a Virtual Box of Windows to run some functions that I cannot run on Linux.

For Windows stuff lately mostly use Windows 2016 server and RDP to it for Homeseer Touch designer.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by dallison View Post
                Sorry - question.. win 10 has program files (x86) and program files which I assume is 64 bit. Is this an issue if it installs to programs files (x86) which is different than the XP install of c:/program files? Thanks..
                Windows by default will separate 32 bit app installs from 64 bit apps, by installing them in separate program file directories. But there is no requirement to separate them, and 32 bit apps can be installed in the 64 bit directories, and vice versa. Or even other directories, for that matter.

By installing HS in the same directory as the old system, you will avoid having to change any existing directory/file pointers that would now be invalid when in a new directory.

Comment

Not sure what has changed since this post, but I cannot seem to get HS3 to install into the regular "Program Files" on a new Windows 10 box. I type in manually and it acts like it does it, but when you look at the folder structure, it is under x86 subfolder. I tried creating the Homeseer HS3 folder under the Program Files and then select it during the custom install, same thing happens. Does not seem to want to go into the "Program Files" folder. Any thoughts or tricks?

Comment

Working...
                  X