No announcement yet.

Rebuild the Zwave Routing Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this sticky topic has the latest info on when/how to optimize.
    Network Optimization Best Practices for Z-Wave+ Networks 11/12/18 - HomeSeer Message Board

HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
      What if I had to drive 50 miles to restore a Z-Wave network for a friend or family member only to find I have to wait a day for it to sort itself out before I can come back to test and confirm everything is set up right? There is definitely something not right about the way Z-Wave works currently.
      The question is if it is how z-wave works or if it is how HomeSeer's implementation of z-wave works?
      I'm more and more convinced that it is the latter.

Before switching to HS I had Vera. That system allowed you to, for example, backup all your configuration on one hub, restore it on the second one, and have fully functional network restored. That worked immediately. It didn't have to be the same controller even, like you can restore V Plus on V Edge or other way around and it worked.

As I am exactly in the situation you described (60km = 1h drive to the location where my hub is) I created a backup system with a spare controller which I could remotely turn on if something will happen to the main unit, load with the latest backup and have my system working again.
      Tested it couple of times (including upgrading my main controller from V Edge to V Plus) and found that only one device (always the same unit) from about 70 had any issues after such process.

Currently I have HS on mini PC (similar spec as HomeTroller) and have numerous issues with Z-wave.
      Recently I've become so angry with this, that I installed other system on the same PC, and just attached my Z-stick to it. It loaded all node information from stick (about 50 nodes connected to that stick), configured devices, created routing info etc, everything within an hour or so. Devices worked fine stright after they were configured.
      That was about a week ago, then I left the location monitoring my system remotely - no issues so far.

So definitely you can restore your network without a need to wait days for it to be functional again - just not with HomeSeer.

Comment

Originally posted by kwieto View Post

The question is if it is how z-wave works or if it is how HomeSeer's implementation of z-wave works?
        I'm more and more convinced that it is the latter.

Before switching to HS I had Vera. That system allowed you to, for example, backup all your configuration on one hub, restore it on the second one, and have fully functional network restored. That worked immediately. It didn't have to be the same controller even, like you can restore V Plus on V Edge or other way around and it worked.

As I am exactly in the situation you described (60km = 1h drive to the location where my hub is) I created a backup system with a spare controller which I could remotely turn on if something will happen to the main unit, load with the latest backup and have my system working again.
        Tested it couple of times (including upgrading my main controller from V Edge to V Plus) and found that only one device (always the same unit) from about 70 had any issues after such process.

Currently I have HS on mini PC (similar spec as HomeTroller) and have numerous issues with Z-wave.
        Recently I've become so angry with this, that I installed other system on the same PC, and just attached my Z-stick to it. It loaded all node information from stick (about 50 nodes connected to that stick), configured devices, created routing info etc, everything within an hour or so. Devices worked fine stright after they were configured.
        That was about a week ago, then I left the location monitoring my system remotely - no issues so far.

So definitely you can restore your network without a need to wait days for it to be functional again - just not with HomeSeer.
        Interesting observation. What if I move my Z-Wave devices to Hubitat or Home Assistant and access them from Homeseer via the plugins for those platforms? Do you know if either of those systems allow instant restore like you had with Vera? I already use Home Assistant and Polisy (and Alexa to some extent) to access my Yolink gear until there is a Homeseer plugin available. I guess I could handle Z-Wave the same way if it simplifies and accelerates system recovery.

Comment

I've had a similar(same?) issue, when you restore a znet interface ZSeer shows all the neighbors are missing.

I had to spend many hours just optimizing some critical central nodes just to get functionality restored. Should be easier than this!
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows 10 vmware)
          BLOccupied:,UltraNetCam3:,weatherXML:,RFXCOM:,Current Cost 3P:,UltraGCIR3:
          DMMQTT:,Kodi:,Z-Wave:,BLRadar:,EasyTrigger:,MySensors:,BLBackup:

Comment

Interesting observation. What if I move my Z-Wave devices to Hubitat or Home Assistant and access them from Homeseer via the plugins for those platforms? Do you know if either of those systems allow instant restore like you had with Vera? I already use Home Assistant and Polisy (and Alexa to some extent) to access my Yolink gear until there is a Homeseer plugin available. I guess I could handle Z-Wave the same way if it simplifies and accelerates system recovery.
            As far as I know, it is not that easy for Hubitat (I've read that it is not easy to migrate from one hub to the other, so it seems that they don't have easy backup-restore solution)
            For Home Assistant it should be manageable at least till you have same Z-wave USB stick. I don't know about migrating the USB stick, AFAIK Aeotec offers some backup-restore solution, but don't know about other brands

How did you connected home assistant to homeseer?

Comment

Moving Z-wave devices to Home Assistant is as easy as removing the Z-Wave controller from HomeSeer and plugging it into Home Assistant (with appropriate Z-Wave integration installed). For a Z-Net you can literally disable the controller in HomeSeer and connect it via IP:Port in Home Assistant. Once Home Assistant starts Z-Wave it will create devices for all the existing Z-Wave devices in the controller. I've actually switched back and forth multiple times using this process without ill effect on either software platform. Make sure your controller and devices are supported by Z-Wave-JS (what Home Assistant uses) which is easy to do as they have excellent documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
                Moving Z-wave devices to Home Assistant is as easy as removing the Z-Wave controller from HomeSeer and plugging it into Home Assistant (with appropriate Z-Wave integration installed). For a Z-Net you can literally disable the controller in HomeSeer and connect it via IP:Port in Home Assistant. Once Home Assistant starts Z-Wave it will create devices for all the existing Z-Wave devices in the controller. I've actually switched back and forth multiple times using this process without ill effect on either software platform. Make sure your controller and devices are supported by Z-Wave-JS (what Home Assistant uses) which is easy to do as they have excellent documentation.
                For Z-Net, being an IP connection, I wonder why Homeseer and Home Assistnt couldn't access it at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by kwieto View Post

As far as I know, it is not that easy for Hubitat (I've read that it is not easy to migrate from one hub to the other, so it seems that they don't have easy backup-restore solution)
                  For Home Assistant it should be manageable at least till you have same Z-wave USB stick. I don't know about migrating the USB stick, AFAIK Aeotec offers some backup-restore solution, but don't know about other brands

How did you connected home assistant to homeseer?
                  https://github.com/marthoc/homeseer

You can also use MQTT

Comment

For Z-Net, being an IP connection, I wonder why Homeseer and Home Assistnt couldn't access it at the same time?
                    The ser2net software on the z-net only accepts one connection at a time, and the controller is designed to have only one connection at a time.

Comment

Working...
                    X