Detecting Daylight Saving change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detecting Daylight Saving change

Is there a way to easily detect a change into or out of daylight saving?
    I have a couple of devices that do not update their clocks (manual intervention required).
    I am thinking of sending a reminder email to update these clocks each change but need to work out a trigger.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance…

Hi [mention]Bernie Hollaway [/mention], I could add Daylight Savings true/false to rnbWeather then you could add an event that does something when the value changes.
    rnbWeather would check the value at each update and HS4 by default will only trigger if the value changes.

Let me know if you want me to add it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Your "IF" could be the time you want the email sent, the "AND IF" Condition could be "the first sunday of October"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	1546196

Comment

Originally posted by russr999 View Post
        Hi [mention]Bernie Hollaway [/mention], I could add Daylight Savings true/false to rnbWeather then you could add an event that does something when the value changes.
        rnbWeather would check the value at each update and HS4 by default will only trigger if the value changes.

Let me know if you want me to add it

Hi russr999, that would be a perfect solution, I assume that would then deal with variations in daylight savings dates based on time zones.

Any idea on a time frame?

Comment

If you are into scripting at all, you can use the "IsDaylightSavingsTime" method of a DateTime structure to determine if you are or are not currently on Daylight Savings time. You could then detect the change by saving off that value into a virtual switch, and then doing something when that value changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie Hollaway View Post

Hi russr999, that would be a perfect solution, I assume that would then deal with variations in daylight savings dates based on time zones.

Any idea on a time frame?
            Hi [mention]Bernie Hollaway [/mention], correct. rnbWeather works on coordinates you enter (latitude, longitude) and does it’s time cals etc based on that location and not where the HS4 is located.
            In terms of timeframe, it’s an easy add.
            I have just added it and published the beta v4.2.4.0
            You will find the beta version in the updater but make sure you have sure BETA clicked on in the add plugins page to see the beta version.

You’ll find the Daylight saving feature under the celestial device. It will have a value of 0 if the location is in day light saving and a value of 1 if it is in standard time.
            You can write an event for when the value changes or you can write your event to be descriptive - when the value changes and becomes 1 etc etc.

Let me know if it meets your meets.

Comment

You could have an event that triggers at 2:30 in the morning. If it fails to trigger (time skipped from 2:00 to 3:00) or if it triggers twice, then send time change reminder.
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I have upgraded to the beta version of the rnbWeather plugin (which I already use) and the Daylight Saving feature looks like it will work fine.

Thanks for the quick responce russr999
                ​​​​​​​

Comment

Hi Bernie Hollaway, as I thought about it overnight I figured since I'm giving you DST or Standard Time then I would add the timezone for the location in as well. Timezone will come in the next version which I plan/hope to release tomorrow. Not sure if anybody will want or need it but the option will be there 😀

Click image for larger version

Name:	timezone.png
Views:	149
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	1546461

Comment

Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
                    If you are into scripting at all, you can use the "IsDaylightSavingsTime" method of a DateTime structure to determine if you are or are not currently on Daylight Savings time. You could then detect the change by saving off that value into a virtual switch, and then doing something when that value changes.
                    Needed this as well so wrote the associated script here:

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...31#post1547931

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie Hollaway View Post
                      Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I have upgraded to the beta version of the rnbWeather plugin (which I already use) and the Daylight Saving feature looks like it will work fine.

Thanks for the quick responce russr999
                      coulda just moved here to Arizona and saved yourself all that work...​​​​​​​

Jim Speiser
                      38-year veteran of Home Automation
                      Still don't know squat

Comment

Or just wait until next year when the whole US will be on DST permanently! I wonder how some of the process controllers will handle that?

Comment

Working...
                        X