Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard wired solutions for High Voltage Relays

Hey guys,

Long time HS3/4 user that has mainly used z-wave.

In my pool area, I have a solid concrete/steel mesh waterfall. Cannot get z-wave or wifi to penetrate through it. But as I'm doing some renovations I've dug a trench and will run Cat6.

Most of the electrics for my pool heater, pumps, and lighting is behind this waterfall.

What would you recommend for hard-wired solutions? Audrino or Raspberry with Ethernet connection and high voltage relay board like the one pictured below?

I could run a z-net solution with z-wave but I'm old school and would like to go hard-wired solutions.

Interested to hear from users who have ethernet-connected boards with high voltage relays.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-05-19_10-59-45.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1546365

Found this but 5A 250V AC. Need atleast 10A. Pool heater will need 20A

https://raspberry.piaustralia.com.au...xpansion-board

Comment

Have you considered using the lower (cheaper) unit to energize a contactor for the high amp loads? I do that with my Generac whole home system to control and shed load if main power is lost. If the generator panel determines that the generator is getting near 80% is will de-energize the contactors for high draw systems. Like Hot Tub, Air Conditioning, Dryer until the load drops. It then adds back the loads in the reverse order that it took them out

Comment

At Amazon...

Eman.
        TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

I use an Arduino Mega with Greig's plug-in to control a number of high current devices. It also could use a NodeMCUU if you want WiFi. I use solid state relays, no moving parts and no contacts to arc. The output pin of an Arduino can directly drive these devices.

eBay

Amazon

Click image for larger version  Name:	SSR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.7 KB ID:	1546535
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Take a look here: https://www.wolfautomation.com/produ...0aAowiEALw_wcB
            "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by shennecke

Do they make a two pole unit or do you use two relays for 240v 2 phase motor?
              I control a 1-1/2 HP 240v compressor. Really don’t need 2 pole as the compressor doesn’t use a neutral for 240. That should be true of most 240v devices. If you have one that uses a neutral to utilize a single phase, use two.

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                I use an Arduino Mega with Greig's plug-in to control a number of high current devices. It also could use a NodeMCUU if you want WiFi. I use solid state relays, no moving parts and no contacts to arc. The output pin of an Arduino can directly drive these devices.

eBay

Amazon
                Perfect! Thanks, guys for the replies. Looks like for me Randy's solution is the go for me. Will allow the mix of standard 10amp relays and the 40amp SSR.

I'll buy the audrino mega with an ethernet shield.

Suprised no one using Rasperry solution?

Cheers

Comment

Spud has a nice Pi plug-in that would let you do the same with a Raspberry Pi. It is a legacy HS3 plug-in but works under HS4 as well.

Comment

Although for a different purpose, I did a write-up on using a Raspberry Pi along with HS4 and Node-RED.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...y-pi-gpio-pins
                    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Hey, guys just want to say thanks for some of the suggestions.

I've gone with the Arduino setup and can't believe how easy it was to set up! Took me one night to figure it out with enigmatheatre Arduino plugin. The addin writes out the sketch to upload to the Arduino, That made it so easy as I didn't want to spend too much time figuring out the code.

The response time is awesome. As a long-time user of z-wave, this is a refreshing change for me.

I've set up an Arduino mega with ethernet shield in the pool area with 8 relay boards. Pic below. ignore the mess it needs to be cleaned up with the proper sealed electrical box.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20220621_115045.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.6 KB ID:	1554384

I also bought this keyestudio w5500 ethernet uno. I actually bought it thinking it was an ethernet shield. Did not realize it was an Uno/shield combined. Not bad as a cost of $35 AUD and the 8 relay was about $25.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20220628_093717.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.4 KB ID:	1554385

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post

eBay

Amazon

Click image for larger version Name:	SSR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.7 KB ID:	1546535
                        No issues with them? Using a heatsink? Seeing a lot of burned units and fire hazard reviews...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220701-113834_Chrome.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1554861

Comment

None whatsoever. No heat sinks. Those photos clearly show high resistance between the screw terminals and the wire. Could be a problem with the devices, but more likely installation issues. A loose screw or corrosion with incompatible wiring or terminations would most likely be the cause. I used to service industrial products using dozens of these and never a failure of the devices in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by 123qweasd View Post

No issues with them? Using a heatsink? Seeing a lot of burned units and fire hazard reviews...
                            Yes, I have seen that from some reviews.

I bought a few SSR-40 (40amp ) from amazon. I open one up and discovered it's got a 24amp triac, well below the 40amp rating! I ended up ordering a quality 60amp SSR from element14.

Comment

Originally posted by Duc998 View Post

Yes, I have seen that from some reviews.

I bought a few SSR-40 (40amp ) from amazon. I open one up and discovered it's got a 24amp triac, well below the 40amp rating! I ended up ordering a quality 60amp SSR from element14.
                              Yes, this seems to be the main issue; unless you really trust your source to avoid knockoffs/counterfeits, you either have to open the unit to check triac or get a unit well above your rating requirements...

Comment

Working...
                              X