Z Wave Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z Wave Newbie

Currently use X10 devices and was going to add new stuff Insteon, but that cratered. Thinking of Z Wave now for all new devices. Any advice, tips on where to start? Using HS4 Standard, would switching to HS4 Pro be a good idea for the Z Wave stuff that comes with it? Best Z Wave USB stick?

Z-Wave is a good option. The only thing the Pro version gets you related to Z-Wave (I think) is Z-Seer+, which can be purchased for $59. If you have standard, watch for a sale on an upgrade to the Pro version.

Regarding an interface, it depends on how centrally located you HS system is to the middle of your house and also how big your house is. Personally, I like the flexibility of the Z-Net interface, assuming you have wired Ethernet ports in various places around the house. My HS system is in a metal rack in a server room, so not good for RF signals. I have two Z-Nets strategically position in the house and almost all of my nodes are direct connect to one of those two Z-Nets. The only downside to the Z-Net is that is uses the older 500 series chipset. The newer USB sticks use the 700 series.

For devices, I use a lot of Zooz products. Get on the mailing list at TheSmartestHouse and watch for the Memorial Day sale.

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
      Z-Wave is a good option. The only thing the Pro version gets you related to Z-Wave (I think) is Z-Seer+, which can be purchased for $59. If you have standard, watch for a sale on an upgrade to the Pro version.

Regarding an interface, it depends on how centrally located you HS system is to the middle of your house and also how big your house is. Personally, I like the flexibility of the Z-Net interface, assuming you have wired Ethernet ports in various places around the house. My HS system is in a metal rack in a server room, so not good for RF signals. I have two Z-Nets strategically position in the house and almost all of my nodes are direct connect to one of those two Z-Nets. The only downside to the Z-Net is that is uses the older 500 series chipset. The newer USB sticks use the 700 series.

For devices, I use a lot of Zooz products. Get on the mailing list at TheSmartestHouse and watch for the Memorial Day sale.
      2000 sq. ft. house. I have ethernet thru out

Comment

1 story or 2? conceptually a 1-story would be 50ftx40ft with a 2-story being 50ft x 20ft x 2. Either can be handled with a single Z-Net for up to 60 nodes. Start with a centrally located Z-Net, add nodes close to the Z-Net. and build out from there. The key is to maximize the number of neighbors for each node and minimize the number of hops to get back to the Z-Net.

Comment

1 story or 2? conceptually a 1-story would be 50ftx40ft with a 2-story being 50ft x 20ft x 2. Either can be handled with a single Z-Net for up to 60 nodes. Start with a centrally located Z-Net, add nodes close to the Z-Net. and build out from there. The key is to maximize the number of neighbors for each node and minimize the number of hops to get back to the Z-Net.
          1 story. I was hoping to use a usb stick. Possible if not centrally located? I could move my computer running HS4 to a more central location if need be.

Comment

You should be fine with a USB stick if you can move your HS4 computer "roughly" centered in the house. The new HomeSeer G3 stick or the Nortek combo Z-Wave/Zigbee stick would be my suggestion.

Comment

You should be fine with a USB stick if you can move your HS4 computer "roughly" centered in the house. The new HomeSeer G3 stick or the Nortek combo Z-Wave/Zigbee stick would be my suggestion.
              I use the HomeSeer SmartStick + G3 USB dongle. I have a two-story, 2400 sq. ft. home built around 1990, and the single stick in a Raspberry PI, centrally-located upstairs, works great. Yes, devices communicate through the mesh, not all directly to the hub, but that hasn't been a problem. I do have the stick attached to a short USB extension cable to get it up and away from the Pi somewhat, for better RF performance.

Checking the HS store, it looks like it isn't being offered for sale (only the 500-series model is, on https://homeseer.com/z-wave-interfaces/). As there have been many discussions about Z-Wave product availability in general, I can't recall if these are temporarily out of stock, or "we aren't going to sell this model any more, but instead wait to build them with the next-gen chips." Perhaps check with HomeSeer sales to find out. The Nortek stick is outdated. I'd suggest the ZOOZ 700-series stick: https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/pro...tick-zst10-700

Comment

I have a 2,456SF, 1 story home and use the SmartStick+ G3 located all the way at the front, but center of the house.

It works exactly as expected, but I also have Z-wave devices in every room, including the garage. As mentioned above, more devices allows better coverage via a mesh network.

FWIW, HS4 Pro also comes with HSTouch Designer which allows you to create user interfaces on tablets, smartphones, and computer screens that are limited only by your imagination.

Comment

Looks like the HST G3 stick is in stock: https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...b-z-wave-stick

Says it's the 700 series and it's on sale.

Comment

Looks like the HST G3 stick is in stock: https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...b-z-wave-stick

Says it's the 700 series and it's on sale.
                    Total cost is $40. I can get Zooz stick for $28. Both are 700 series. Which one is better?

Comment

Originally posted by shennecke View Post

Total cost is $40. I can get Zooz stick for $28. Both are 700 series. Which one is better?
                      Which one is better supported in HomeSeer?

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post

Which one is better supported in HomeSeer?
                        Good question, anybody know the answer?

Comment

I've never been a fan of Zooz stuff. It's the private brand of "thesmartesthouse.com" and it seems with one thing of theirs or another there's always some issue. My two cents.

I personally have two z-nets, one at each end of a fairly long ranch house.

Comment

Originally posted by shennecke View Post

Good question, anybody know the answer?
                            Probably the one that HomeSeer sells. Main reason being the ability to easily backup and restore the Z-wave database.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post

Probably the one that HomeSeer sells. Main reason being the ability to easily backup and restore the Z-wave database.
                              Makes sense. Probably the most thoroughly tested with HS as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X