Bad module kills automation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad module kills automation

Need to keep a move on replacing Insteon devices. I've had two fail since the crash. Don't know if that's coincidence or not. Just an aside.

I see what I feel is a glitch in the system. I have "events" set up to manage groups of lights. Works just fine. However, one of the modules that died is in my "evening on" routine, which includes exterior lights, as well as all our interior, common area lights. With one dead module--the entire event failed to fire and I had an error message. Don't know what the software behind it is, and don't really care. However it seems to me that one dead module should not hinder the operation of the entire event. If a bulb is burned out, does an entire scene fail, for example?

I'm curious, is there an entry in the log that might assist your diagnosis?
    Dan-O
    HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan-O View Post
      I'm curious, is there an entry in the log that might assist your diagnosis?
      The log shows Insteon device not found. There don't seem to be any messages about the event failing. Seems strange.

Comment

I can't speak for Insteon, but if a Z-Wave module is unresponsive, there is a log entry for the device. I don't remember ever seeing a log entry for a failed event.
        I concur with your statement about the strange issue.
        Dan-O
        HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

I'm not really familiar with Insteon, but it sounds like:
          If that device was being used as the connection to the rest of the devices it may cause an issue in that it can no longer receive or send commands.
          You may need to reset the connection paths for the devices to eliminate the bad device.

Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Shultz View Post
            I'm not really familiar with Insteon, but it sounds like:
            If that device was being used as the connection to the rest of the devices it may cause an issue in that it can no longer receive or send commands.
            You may need to reset the connection paths for the devices to eliminate the bad device.
            Thanks. None of my devices "controls" another. Just never had a need for that. All of my events are just run from the hub. Very strange, and I see nothing...nuh-THING in the logs---LOL! I see it as a software glitch that HomeSeer doesn't just ignore the bad unit and fire the rest.

Comment

Working...
            X