HEM Home Energy Automation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HEM Home Energy Automation

Home Energy Automation: "HEM" this is a control system that manages multiple sources of Energy to control energy demand response then load shedding 2-4 levels for priority as required .

With the ever changing energy land scape and reduction in Electrical power plants the need to become self reliant is becoming a prominent topic. While Green Energy with wind and solar are great ideals, Utility Providers don't have the base generation capability to service the market. The IEEE papers and presentations are all about microgrid, what most folks don't see is the power companies are running out of power and will not be able to supply the demand. They will begin to deploy more capability to load shed and disconnect customers when the power reserve runs out. ERCOT required all Texas utilities in 2021 to put a price on what it would cost to install technology on customer service to turn off the power when they lost capacity Here in Texas May 2022 ONCOR dropped power again with a statement they didn't have the capacity.

We are looking for a Home Energy Control system. The controller must manage 4 sources of power , Utility + PV + battery storage + Backup Generator. With those sources of energy the control the energy usage based on priority load shedding as required to work within the available power of the system if Utility is lost.

I have a house full of automation to control devices, yet I'm missing the technology to manage multiple energy sources I know this forum is famous for Automation and I wanted to spur a conversation on Energy Management and get feedback on systems folks might have or know is available in the market. Right now this HEM is a technology without a clear manufacturer or standard. There are a lot of fly by night outfit putting up Solar, I'm looking for more than just PV and batteries.

Many thanks in advance for your input on technologies, companies or websites for research. If you have taken this approach I would appreciate you sharing your experience.

PS if this is in the wrong discussion area please feel free to move us...

Devoir

Subscribed. Here in CA, PG&E has implemented "Public Safety Power Shutoffs" during fire season in the event of high winds. Looking at options for keeping critical circuits running for up to 72 hours. An additional power source to consider now are the newer EVs that have reverse charging (aka: mobile battery plant).
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

So ONCOR shut off power to your house because they didn't have enough to go around?

Here in NY I have solar and utility. The utility company spins the meter forward or reverse depending on excess production. We have never had a power cut due to lack of capacity in the last 7 years. I barely make enough to cover my use so if I want to install battery backup I would need a few more solar panels. I can't have a generator due to the footprint of the house on the property (at least not without drama).

Lots of aggravations, my original installer says if I want to put battery backup I will need to replace the inverter or it voids the warranty. I see it as arm twisting. I'm thinking of a few solar panels (I have room on a separate section) and another inverter just for the battery backup.

Luckily, I don't have drama with selling excess power back as the meter just spins backwards.

All that said, I don't have an HEM monitor that can handle it all. When push comes to shove I have to go outside and manually read the meter to see if I had net consumption or production. I have two Aeotec energy monitors and between them I can't get them to show numbers that could be used to show net use. Quite frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by shennecke
        Might look at load centers, GE, Westinghouse, etc.. They have new panels/load center that are made for solar with smart breakers.
        I've looked into those a bit but the reviews have not been stellar. Also, the data collection on the ones I looked at were cloud-based and proprietary, meaning you have to pay a subscription fee to get access to your own data. I have friends at Schneider Electric (Square D) and SPAN.io, so I'm hoping to get some guidance from them as well.
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Look into Building Management Systems, EisBaer SCADA, PEAKnx-YOUVI, etc. They are all professional systems, not freeware but built to do the job you ask for.

Comment

I think what you're really looking for is something to regulate between the PV/battery system and the Generator. A standard install for a generator will have the ability for it to self start in the event of a power outage. I believe if you tie the PV in to the detection process you will get what you're looking for. If the PV systems output drops below a certain level, the generator would start to make up the difference. Once the power levels of the PV go back up, the generator then turns off.

So, you might start by looking at how the generator detects a loss of power from the utility, and see if a similar system can be applied to the PV.
            Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

I've looked into the SPAN.io my concern is the Span development team sent an email to our local AHJ stating if the relay control panel failed the whole unit had to be replaced. There are no field repairs.

While the marketing on this product is amazing and it appears to fill a void in the market, It is limited to 200 Amp main with a 50 Amp Max breaker. I wished it would manage multiple energy sources.

Thanks everyone for sharing

Devoir

Comment

To date here are the Home Energy manufactures HEM

SPan.io talked with the VP of marketing today they will release an open API in the next several months
                Levition
                Savant just entering the market they were at the Distributech show in Dallas this week met the owner
                Schneider Electric Q4 2022
                Generac is talking about coming out with a product

Devoir

Comment

Working...
                X