Smart Plugs for HS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart Plugs for HS4

Anyone know which Amazon Smart Plugs work with HS4 via stable plugin? The TP-Link Tapo's do not: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0836HL66P and the HS versions are out of stock.

Thanks,
    Robert

I use several of these with HS4 and the free HS Tuya plugin.
    https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Compati...NrPXRydWU&th=1
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I can confirm the TECKIN products work with the HS Tuya plugin

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot1.png
Views:	452
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	1547965
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

IMO, these are superior since they do power monitoring, which enables you to intelligently turn them off for things like battery chargers by monitoring the power consumption and turning them off once the charge cycle is complete. Which also preserves the battery life in your cordless appliance, power tool battery packs, etc. Works with the HS4 Tuya plugin for local control (no cloud needed after initial setup). They do not block the outlet above or below.

BN-LINK WiFi Heavy Duty Smart Plug Outlet, No Hub Required with Timer Function, White, Compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant, 2.4 Ghz Network Only (2 Pack) - - Amazon.com

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
          IMO, these are superior since they do power monitoring, which enables you to intelligently turn them off for things like battery chargers by monitoring the power consumption and turning them off once the charge cycle is complete. Which also preserves the battery life in your cordless appliance, power tool battery packs, etc. Works with the HS4 Tuya plugin for local control (no cloud needed after initial setup). They do not block the outlet above or below.

BN-LINK WiFi Heavy Duty Smart Plug Outlet, No Hub Required with Timer Function, White, Compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant, 2.4 Ghz Network Only (2 Pack) - - Amazon.com
          That's a good idea. Right now, I use the TECKINs to turn off my Ryobi battery chargers when we set the alarm to Arm Away or Arm Night. That way, nothing is charging while we are asleep or out of the house. The chargers only turn on when the alarm is disarmed, which means we are home. I could see using these to get granular on when they turn on/off.
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I use a few older z-wave units. 2 outdoor ones which I believe are from GE, a couple older dimming Lamp Modules (do NOT try to run more power than these are rated for, such as a Christams tree with these) and an older appliance module which are all going strong. Save of course the one dimming module I fried because myy tree lights were just over spec...

I also have 2 Sonoff S31 units I flashed with Tasmota and use via MQTT.

Add in as well 2 older Greenwave power strips which are z-wave. I see ZOOZ makes some strips as well.
            Karl S
            HS4Pro on Windows 10
            1070 Devices
            56 Z-Wave Nodes
            104 Events
            HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
            Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

Warning: I just read through some of the questions about these plugs on the Amazon product page. Users report that the power monitoring function has been removed (as of April) because the vendor can't get the power monitoring chip (supply constraint, I guess). Of course, this was just information posted by random customers, and it could either be wrong, or the situation may have been resolved since their posts.
              It would have been nice if they changed the model number.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveW View Post

Warning: I just read through some of the questions about these plugs on the Amazon product page. Users report that the power monitoring function has been removed (as of April) because the vendor can't get the power monitoring chip (supply constraint, I guess). Of course, this was just information posted by random customers, and it could either be wrong, or the situation may have been resolved since their posts.
                It would have been nice if they changed the model number.
                Yeah, that's a good point you raised... I've ordered this model several times and I thought it was strange that there's no reference to power monitoring on the page... when I know for a fact it used to be there every time I ordered this part. When I click on my past orders in my Amazon account, the part I linked to is what comes up. Good thing I have at least one spare from a previous order.

Comment

The Sonoff S31 is my favorite with Tasmota firmware installed. You can install it yourself of buy from supplier that has already has Tasmota installed such as Sonoff S31 - CloudFree The S31 relay is rated at 15A (DC) and the case can be opened if desired for additional hacking. mcsMQTT free pluign or any MQTT plugin can most easily integrate with HS. REST can also be used, but that requires additional effort.

The advantage of Tasmota firmware is that is open source vs. Tuya or others from the factory where the end user is at the whim of the manufacturer.

Sonoff S31 has two versions. On called Lite that does not have the energy monitoring and the standard version will report watts, amps, voltage etc.

Comment

+1 for the Sonoff S31 with Tasmota. I have 16 in use monitoring various plugin devices. Notes that you can "adjust" the power behaviour in the event of a power failure to turn on, stay off, last state, or turn on and disable button. The last is good if you are monitoring a refrigerator or similar.

Also, using a known load or a device like a Watts Up? you can calibrate the power monitoring.

As for Tuya smart plugs, the 3-packs of Feit Electric Smart plugs sold at Home Depot and Costco are Tuya compatible. The Monoprice STITCH line of products is also Tuya compatible.
                    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

another vote for S31 with Tasmota & MQTT.

I used to use several Kasa smartplugs. While they worked well, it was irritating that if you used homeseer to turn on a lamp when the Kasa changed state, it took several seconds for its state update to reach homeseer and thus there was a noticable time lag in turning on the lamp. This is because the Kasa plugin depended on polling for is status which could take several seconds. I've tried a few others and they all had this multi-second delay in triggering events due to this polling. I dont know if this has changed with newer plugins though.

MQTT is a command and control protocol and is designed specifically to send status updates immediately. Homeseer responses are near instantaneous using it.

If you dont want to do your own Tasmota conversions, you can buy them pre-converted. They are more expensive though.
                      https://cloudfree.shop/product/sonof...-with-tasmota/

Comment

Working...
                      X