How close can you place controllers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How close can you place controllers

I want to try and consolidate some of my coms infrastructure into an area in the hallway, which is pretty central in the house, both floor wise, and height wise (it's basically the middle of the middle floor).

I already have an AP (2.4/5GHz) there, along with my RFX433 and my hue hub. I'd like to also move my z-net to there, as well as my Raspbee (for zigbee). How close can I put them, or how far apart do I need to put them, so that they don't interfere with each other?

Zwave is down at 915 MHz, so I'm not thinking that there's going to be too much interference to/from that. Zigbee and Wi-Fi share the 2.4GHz space, but if I put the Zigbee hubs on different channels from the Wi-Fi (and on different channels from each other), I think it should be ok?

There's a decent WAF factor here, rather than having "another little black box laying around the house", so I was wondering.

G

You've already identified the problem, that WiFi and Zigbee occupy the same radio spectrum. When I first consolidated all my transceivers in the same closet, I mysteriously degraded my zigbee network, with some far away sensors occasional reporting in. Once I moved my zigbee channel away from my home WiFi channel my Zigbee network became rock solid.

This is a handy reference diagram of how Zigbee and Wifi overlap:
    ZigBee and Wi-Fi Coexistence | MetaGeek

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
      You've already identified the problem, that WiFi and Zigbee occupy the same radio spectrum.
      I've already got my 2 Zigbee meshes on separate channels from each other, away from my 2.4 SSIDs (mainly IoT stuff - Echo devices etc.), and as far away from my neighbors as I can. There's still some neighbor traffic leaking through, but nothing much I can really do with that - I don't see a Faraday Cage in my future.

Whatever happens, I'm going to have to deal with the surrounding RF traffic - I was more concerned about any issues with having a Wi-Fi AP and a couple of Zigbee hugs all within 4 feet of each other and whether that would cause any issues.

G

Comment

Working...
      X