Sending IR with Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sending IR with Homeseer

The scripting part of this seems pretty straightforward, but I'm not familiar with which equipment I should use.

I want to trigger IR commands based on HS events. Some of these events are X10 signals, some will be time based. I'm planning on using a Xantech multizone system to handle the IR routing (multizone seems necessary because I'm controlling several cable boxes in multiple locations that use the same IR codes). As far as HS -> IR, I know there are products that can do this such as Smarthome X10 to IRLinc, etc. I'd like to hear recommendations on any favorite products for this.

Would this employ a standard IR emitter, or is there a way of hooking directly from the PC into the IR connecting block? Reading the Xantech (and other vendors') docs doesn't quite clear this up for me.

I'm obviously new at this. Please go easy

I use a USB-UIRT connected to HomeSeer. It works both ways - sending and receiving IR.

www.usbuirt.com

The newer USB-UIRT boxes support 3 zones - one as a blaster (from the front of the box) and 2 through a 1/8 stereo jack in the back.

I am currently only using it as a single zone, though, because I haven't had time to complete my setup. I'm feeding into a Xantech system (wired as two distinct zones). But, I just have emitters from the USB-UIRT connecting to detectors from the Xantech system. Nothing fancy. It does let me use remotes from the same location throught this system, though (by having the actual detectors present).

Comment

Don't they make a device that will send the IR down that cable line... I have a cable line to my HS box and I really would like to send IR to any of the areas that there is a cable because there is also a TV or a AMP or something...

Comment

Rich,
        Look for Xtra Link 2 in this thread.
        http://www.hometech.com/infrared/rcvrs.html
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by smee
          I use a USB-UIRT connected to HomeSeer. It works both ways - sending and receiving IR.
          Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

I am currently only using it as a single zone, though, because I haven't had time to complete my setup. I'm feeding into a Xantech system (wired as two distinct zones). But, I just have emitters from the USB-UIRT connecting to detectors from the Xantech system. Nothing fancy. It does let me use remotes from the same location throught this system, though (by having the actual detectors present).
          That goes directly to my question. Would the emitter from the USB-UIRT unit block out IR from a remote used in the same location? From your description it sounds like it would not. Is that correct?

Also, does a Xantech (or other) connecting block allow more than one IR receiver connection?

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

The emitters don't completely block the receiver. It's similar to sticking one on the front of your A/V components - the normal remote still works.

I believe you can connect more than one receiver to any Xantech zone. However, I don't think I've ever seen a block with two (or more) jacks for receivers. You should be able to connect them in parallel using a 1/8 stereo splitter or to screw terminals by using bare wire ends.
            Last edited by ; January 28, 2005, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Great link Rupp... Man that IR equipment is expensive...

Comment

Originally posted by Clever1
                Great link Rupp... Man that IR equipment is expensive...

You've got that right. Not only is it expensive it's hard to retro fit. That's why I use so many powermids.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I believe you can connect more than one receiver to any Xantech zone. However, I don't think I've ever seen a block with two (or more) jacks for receivers. You should be able to connect them in parallel using a 1/8 stereo splitter or to screw terminals by using bear wire ends.
                  Got it. Thanks very much.

Comment

Take a look at smarthome.com The OCELOT works very well then you can add the SECU-16IR so you can control up to 16 zones. You program all with the homSeeer software you can also leave the OCELOT plugged into you RS232 port of your computer and then write time commands or use a PDA remote desktop to work everything

QUOTE=RegForte]The scripting part of this seems pretty straightforward, but I'm not familiar with which equipment I should use.

I want to trigger IR commands based on HS events. Some of these events are X10 signals, some will be time based. I'm planning on using a Xantech multizone system to handle the IR routing (multizone seems necessary because I'm controlling several cable boxes in multiple locations that use the same IR codes). As far as HS -> IR, I know there are products that can do this such as Smarthome X10 to IRLinc, etc. I'd like to hear recommendations on any favorite products for this.

Would this employ a standard IR emitter, or is there a way of hooking directly from the PC into the IR connecting block? Reading the Xantech (and other vendors') docs doesn't quite clear this up for me.

I'm obviously new at this. Please go easy [/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Charles1954
                      Take a look at smarthome.com The OCELOT works very well then you can add the SECU-16IR so you can control up to 16 zones. You program all with the homSeeer software you can also leave the OCELOT plugged into you RS232 port of your computer and then write time commands or use a PDA remote desktop to work everything
                      Charles, thanks for the response. I took a long look at the ocelot unit and it's full of great features. Since I don't need all of it's functionality I decided on a USBUIRT because it's cheaper. Thanks again for the input.

Comment

Working...
                      X