Motion sensor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion sensor question

I've got one motion sensor device in HS and I'm using the W800 receiver. It's a Hawkeye and I didn't disable dusk/dawn. It's configured to send the "off" command 1 minute after no motion has been detected. I've used the sensor along with events to control a light without problem. I've been waiting for some painting to be finished by my wife so that I can mount it where it needs to go. In the mean time, I put it in a box (an old X10 lamp module box) to keep it quiet. Or so I thought...

When I come home in the evenings and check the HS log, I see motion sensor on and motion sensor off entries about every minute. It's not exactly one minute and there are more "on" signals than "off". Any idea why this would be happening?

Thanks.

Chris

I would take the batteries out of the detector and see if the signals stop. If not, you are getting it from another device. If it does stop, then the detector is probably defective. Just remember, don't configure a lamp to the light/dark code, since it will just cycle on and off for ever.

Comment

Sorry, I should have thought of this before. The sensor is infrared, and it is possable, though unlikely, that it is sensing something even though it is in the box. However, a minute is pretty consistant for any detector unless it is in a airport. Try putting it in a drawer in an out of the way place.

Comment

Good idea except I should've provided more information. The box is in my mechanical room, that is dark all day (and night). No windows or other ambient light. Very strange. Maybe I'll get another motion sensor to see if I get similar results.

Comment

Originally posted by buck1s
          Good idea except I should've provided more information. The box is in my mechanical room, that is dark all day (and night). No windows or other ambient light. Very strange. Maybe I'll get another motion sensor to see if I get similar results.
          Erm, what is a mechanical room, is it a room with thing's moving, or things giving off heat at times?

Could it be picking up movement for some machine moving, a stray cat, or heating boiler?

Remember, good though they are, those sensors are not that selective about what triggers them, at there price they would not be.

Think best idea, as suggested, is remove the batteries. If it continues then something else is sending the signal - spooky!
          sigpic
          A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Hi Gogs. It's the room where my air handler (for heat pump), water heater, pressure tank, etc. reside. Just a small sectioned off room in my basement. There is a light that comes on when the humidifier on the air handler comes on. But the heat pump isn't cycling every minute.

I'll try to move it to a different room tonight and see what happens. Can another RF device be broadcasting something that can be interpreted to be this motion sensor. It has been set up with a house/unit code. What are the odds that that combination is randomly coming from another source?

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by buck1s
              ................ Can another RF device be broadcasting something that can be interpreted to be this motion sensor. It has been set up with a house/unit code. What are the odds that that combination is randomly coming from another source?

Chris
              Yes it could be another RF device, parhaps not even in your home. It may even be another X10 device, not a RF one, or a script. The possibilities are endless.

One question I don't think you have answered, have you removed the batteries?
              sigpic
              A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Working...
              X