System conflicts or compatibility issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System conflicts or compatibility issues

Is anyone having device conflicts and/or failures, with different systems running simultaneously on HS4?

I am running HS4 and still have an Insteon hub installed. Initially the entire house was Insteon modules, and while the migration wasn't without issues, I did get it up and running properly without too much fuss. Since then it's been about moving everything away from Insteon as budget and time allows.

First move was to replace an Insteon wall switch with an Aeotec, Z-Wave unit. What with plug ins and controllers, again, more involved than originally expected,but it's working. What surprised me was that within a day of installing it, an Insteon plug in lamp module failed. Completely. Could not revive it. Then, a couple of days later, another failed, though I was able to reset it and get it working. The first one, no go. I put it all down to coincidence...but not without some suspicion.

Next step was to replace some of the plug-in modules that are behind furniture. While I'm happy with the Tuya modules I bought initially, I need some modules where the receptacle faces downward, for clearance issues. On a couple of recommendations, I bought Leviton. I installed them yesterday. Not smooth at all, but they are in. I'm annoyed that the HS main page of the UI displays the units--but there is no on/off control. Instead there is a "controls" button one has to click, before one can reach the on/off controls. Functionality glitches like that annoy me no end--I just find it unacceptable from a quality/consistency standpoint. I'm assuming that's an issue with the software plug-in's integration with HS4. The same happened with the Aeotec switch, but a few hours after installation, the on/off buttons magically appeared. Not so the Leviton units. Go figure!

The bigger issue was that after installing the Leviton units, one of my two Insteon outdoor modules failed to operate. I reinstalled that one, and it seems fine, only to find that the other one failed to turn off this morning, and cannot be controlled from the UI. At this point, it can't be a coincidence. All these Insteon failures, right after integrating a Z-wave device. The Z-wave units, the software, something about the communication must be causing a conflict. Any similar situations out there? I've seen a bunch of posts about polling, and have it turned off. Doesn't seem to matter. I'm going to reinstall the second module this morning and hope it works. Strange that these two outdoor modules would both experience this right after installing the Leviton modules.

I do not have an answer for you, but I wonder if perhaps the presence of two transmitters so close to each other could be interfering with each other. Normally a zwave network is only doing one thing at a time, so a collision between two zwave devices (so to speak) is not as likely to happen, But two separate networks that close together, that operate on the same frequencies, could be a problem.

Comment

I agree with the suspicion of radio interference. Insteon is supposed to use the power-line for commands, but if you have modules and the hub on alternate electrical phases in your house then it will default to the radio frequency of 915Mhz, which is right next to 908Mhz for North America Z-wave

Is your Insteon hub anywhere near your Z-wave controller? To test out whether it is interference you could try disabling the Z-wave transceiver and then try operating an Insteon device.

Comment

Have you tried changing the view from grid to list?

Bashing the product you're trying to get help with isn't a great way to ask for help. Just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
          I do not have an answer for you, but I wonder if perhaps the presence of two transmitters so close to each other could be interfering with each other. Normally a zwave network is only doing one thing at a time, so a collision between two zwave devices (so to speak) is not as likely to happen, But two separate networks that close together, that operate on the same frequencies, could be a problem.
          That is a possibility, hmmm. The HomeTroller is about five feet from the router and the Insteon hub. The Z-wave controller is plugged into the HomeTroller, so about five feet. None of the Z-wave modules is closer to any of the Insteon modules than...oh....fifteen or twenty feet. Could it be power line interference of some sort, between Insteon and Zwave? That is, some sort of "hard" signal messing with the Zwave stuff directly? Is that possible? The two outdoor modules I had trouble with were much further away from anything, including the controllers. The situation hasn't repeated itself. I'm tempted to try and reinstall the very first Insteon lamp module that failed completely, just out of curiosity.

Just generally speaking, my experience, of the last two months since the crash, it seems like mixing all these products results in some initial difficulties. I've had to run through installation routines multiple times, on some items, before they will "take". Then there are things that just fix themselves, like the Aeotec switch, the control buttons not showing up initially in the UI, and then suddenly being there (see my reply to Dweber for more on that). A couple of the Tuya modules, way back at the start, worked, then stopped working, reinstalled them and they've been perfect since.

Comment

Originally posted by David Samuels View Post
            I'm annoyed that the HS main page of the UI displays the units--but there is no on/off control. Instead there is a "controls" button one has to click, before one can reach the on/off controls. Functionality glitches like that annoy me no end--I just find it unacceptable from a quality/consistency standpoint. I'm assuming that's an issue with the software plug-in's integration with HS4. The same happened with the Aeotec switch, but a few hours after installation, the on/off buttons magically appeared. Not so the Leviton units. Go figure!
            If you want to control the devices from the main device page, just click on List View and your controls will be available.

There is a long history in the threads about using the Device page to control devices. The consensus was just to use the Device page for status/troubleshooting and use HSTouch/HSMobile for actually controlling the devices in addition to automation.

HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by Dweber85rc View Post
              Have you tried changing the view from grid to list?

Bashing the product you're trying to get help with isn't a great way to ask for help. Just saying...
              Didn't mean for it to sound like bashing, which is why i said annoyance. Apologies if it came off that way.

I should have elaborated. Yes, you are correct, in list mode, the on/off/slider buttons show. That's another reason it's annoying!

Comment

Working...
              X