Best way to shut down an ip camera when at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to shut down an ip camera when at home

Since one person in the Family has problems with one of the outdoor ip camera's watching all the time.
    I'm looking for a nice waf compromise. Now the idea is, having it shut down at the moment when arriving at home. And start it again when leaving (and in general at night time). The camera is PoE and has a static IP-address. Since it is at the same PoE switch as an other camera I can not just switch it off with a power plug (as could be done at the PoE injector). So it would be nice to temperarely block the ip-address or having it switch on/ off in an other cleaver way.
    Any one having this in place and willing to share good practise?
    How could I use the iPhone for detecting if a person is at home or not and than have it update a virtual device for starting an event which than switch of the camera during certain time frame (let say between 8 at morning and 11 at night)?

If your PoE switch is managed you can just disable the port and then re-enable it when you leave. That's what I do for a camera near our hot tub.
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Ok that is also a great idea, only this one switch is not managed. But how are you having the port disabled and re-enabled?
      I have an other Ubiquiti UniFiPoe managed switch laying around I could maybe use for it. But I do not see how to do that. Need to log in, and than enable of re-enable, but how to do that? With some script or other smart way?

Comment

That camera is connected to an old Netgear PoE switch that allows telnet. I have a virtual device that triggers a Node-RED flow than then runs the appropriate telnet command to enable or disable the port. I'm moving all of my cameras over to Unifi PoE switches so I'm figuring that out now. If looks like the Unifi plugin by stefxx can enable/disable PoE power on a port which would be enough to kill power to the camera. I'm not sure about enabling/disabling the port itself since I'm just starting to experiment with the plugin.
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

PoE switching is indeed standard available in the plugin. Port enable/disable not I think. But any API call is possible with a little work with the custom API call of the plugin: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...l-event-action

Good luck!
          stefxx

Comment

Great! Will have a look at it. Seems that there is also a http API for the camera itself so that could be use full as well.

Comment

I have a Unifi flex and there is a plugin which can turn that port off. I have a RPi off one of them, and if it doesn't respond to a heartbeat ping for a bit, gets reset.

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
              Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
              weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Working...
              X