Ring Wireless Keypad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ring Wireless Keypad

Just wondering if anybody knows if this can actually be used stand alone with HS4. The Ring site says "*Requires the Ring Alarm Security Kit."...but it does support z-wave.

I have a situation where I need to know the garage door was opened with the keypad. I don't get that with a standard wireless garage door keypad...only that it is opening.

I already have Linear z-wave controls for the door.

Alarm Keypad | Ring

(I know I'd have to mount it in a weatherproof closure)

If you know of other keypads, I am open to that too...don't really want anything that takes AC power but could if I have to.

Almost all of Ring's V2 devices are Z-wave certified, so in *theory* it should work with HS4, Ring's documentation says that their devices should work with any Z-wave certified hub/system. The question is whether HST implements recognition of all the command classes that keypads use.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/...Keypad_700.pdf

Comment

TC1 - THANKS! I always forget I can go there to get at least something on it. Hopefully, somebody has tried so I don't end up with something to try to sell . I'll probably just do it anyway if nobody has and will post back.

Comment

Originally posted by ts1234 View Post
        TC1 - THANKS! I always forget I can go there to get at least something on it. Hopefully, somebody has tried so I don't end up with something to try to sell . I'll probably just do it anyway if nobody has and will post back.
        I'd say it's a safe bet, even if it doesn't fully work at first simply let HST/Rich know so they can update the Z-wave plugin. Since the device is Z-wave certified they really should support it.

Comment

As a Ring user, I'm curious as to how you're going to use a keypad to open your garage door? I'm guessing that once you have the keypad in HS, you'll use an event to send an "open" command to the garage door opener when the keypad is "disarmed'? I have my keypads paired with the Ring alarm base station, but have always wondered about the other possibilities since they are Z-Wave.

Comment

Yes I hope to tie the correct numeric sequence to triggering events.

Comment

Neat. Definitely interested in seeing how that works out.

Comment

I'm definitely curious to see how HS includes this and what capabilities it offers. I've looked at several Zooz Z-Wave devices that specifically state they are not compatible with Z-Wave Security Systems, but in that case, the alarm base is serving as the Z-Wave hub.
                "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

I doubt I get much farther than this. I can include the V2 keypad as a device. Though the document on adding it says the flashing wireless sign on the keypad should behave differently. It's just flashing then stops flashing. I create 6 devices, but only see motion detected messages no matter what I do in the log. I think it wants to do S2 so I loaded the S2 version off the HS4 plugin. It prompts me for a pin and then I get warming messages that it never created a pin...which leads to a really broken device in HS4.

I even loaded the Ring app on my iPhone. Maybe I'm just missing it, but it appears you can't add the keypad until after you add their security hub.

Either way, maybe someone smarter than me can get this working as it would be a nice value add. I'm guessing it's Ring/Amazon being a little like Google and Nest. Yay for Amazon returns .

Comment

Yeah, for security devices the Ring app needs the Ring Alarm base station, and the Z-Wave devices pair with that. Too bad you couldn't get it working!

Comment

I wonder if the new Z-Wave 4.0 Beta plug-in would incorporate more? Having a keypad would definitely be nicer (and more secure) than tapping out things on a light switch as I come and go.

Comment

Here have been using the Ring now for a couple of years in house Forum I did integrate it to Homeseer and Home Assistant using MQTT and the Ring to MQTT bridge add on. I also have the Amazon devices in house Home and house Forum doing TTS relating to status of Ring sensors in house Forum (contact sensors and alarm function sensors) using the Alexa Media plugin for Home Assistant.

I do see all of the Ring devices via MQTT. I can control the alarm state but have no virtual keypad functions. I do use the wireless contact switches and PIRs for automation stuff and it works well for me and is as fast as my OmniPro 2 panel with wired sensors.

Support sucks (they only answer the phone and are only familiar with the Ring apps or website) even though Amazon owns them now so you are kind of on your own with their device integration.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

It doesn't surprise me that the current plugin doesn't support a keypad. This is one of the downsides of HS not being open source. This keypad is already supported in ZWaveJS2MQTT which is what Home Assistant uses.

https://community.home-assistant.io/...sistant/343367
                          "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Working...
                          X