Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Typical battery life for motion sensors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Typical battery life for motion sensors?

Hey all,

I was planning on adding a few RF motion sensors to my home.

The cheaper ones I've looked at take 2 AAA batteries.

What's the average battery life in these things? Will I be replacing them every month? (not good) or maybe once a year?

Thanks,

Steve C.

Steve,
    I place a piece of scotch tape on the back of all of my X10 RF motion sensors and write in pencil when I change them and a couple of them have not had the batteries changed in over a year. The ones outside seem to last 6-8 months.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

What rupp says is about right for me too. Though my outside ones seem to last longer then the inside. However, I have my outside ones programmed to only transmit only after dark, so I have taken that to mean they are transmitting less, so they are using less power.

Having said all that, if you are talking about the X10 hawkeye and eagle eye, 9months to a year is typical.

Paul
      Paul

Comment

I've gotten about 2 years with some of the motion detectors, even ones that are in high traffic areas. I have one sensor outdoors; the batteries died in the last cold spell. But, they went at least two years.

So I seem to be at the 'high end' of battery life. I use grocery store generic batteries ... maybe they are superior to the name brands? (That's a joke, I doubt it!)

Comment

I use rechargeable batteries and they definitely do not have the life of a regular but there are always backups ready to go.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I only have about 6 motion detectors. I have gone 2+ years in some. I tend to use bulk Duracell batteries. I think alot depends on the amount of "action" they get. I bet I've gone over 3 years in some that get no action!

Comment

Rechargeables (NiCd's) self-discharge at a rate of about 1% of remaining charge per day (I'm told), so there's an exponential decay in the charge.

After about a month (so I'm told, I didn't do the math), they're pretty much dead. (For applications requiring any significant amount of power.)

NimH batteries hold their charge better, but I don't know the details offhand.

Comment

Coming up on 3 yrs now for the indoor motion sensors. The ones outside, batteries lasted approx 2 yrs. 16 sensors (3 outside, 13 inside).

The Pod

Comment

Working...
                X