PWS for HS4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PWS for HS4?

This is one of those posts I never thought I'd make, but I've had a change of heart...

I live near NYC, a major metropolitan area. There is an abundance of online weather data, Accuweather, The Weather Channel, NOAA, etc, etc... My EcoBee thermostats also pull in weather data and forecasts.

My problem is out of all the above mentioned weather data sources, NONE of them agree with each other, at any point in time I'll get a different temperature from each of them. Further complicating things is that I live by the ocean, so my weather can be different from folks a few miles north on the main land. We have our own micro-climate, we're warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer, depending on whether the wind is coming off the ocean or not.

If I'm going to be able to make any sane climate decisions for home automation I need data that is consistent/realistic for my actual home location. So I'm considering buying a personal weather station, one that could integrate with HS4.

I've done some preliminary research... but it seems there's both good and bad reviews for any product in the <$400 range. I don't want to invest a lot since I don't live in the wilderness and like I said I have access to metropolitan weather data... I'd just like it to be more accurate for my house.

Are there any PWS products that you've been happy with? Most important to me is wind (speed/direction), temp, UV index.

I've had a Davis Vantage Pro 2 for 10 years and am very pleased with it. Just purchased a WeatherFlow and it is reporting weather just as well - with NO moving parts! It also has a phone app that is excellent and the manufacturer encourages its users to aggregate their data into regional reports that further improves accuracy and precision.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
      I've had a Davis Vantage Pro 2 for 10 years and am very pleased with it. Just purchased a WeatherFlow and it is reporting weather just as well - with NO moving parts! It also has a phone app that is excellent and the manufacturer encourages its users to aggregate their data into regional reports that further improves accuracy and precision.
      While I love the idea of the WeatherFlow (using modern sensors/tech), I read mixed reviews on the sonic wind sensor (at certain speeds it becomes inaccurate/inconsistent) and the reliability of the haptic rain sensor (actually registering when rain occurred).

So what you are saying is that the WeatherFlow matches the traditional Davis Vantage in terms of measurement accuracy and consistency?

Also curious, if the Davis is doing well for you, why get the WeatherFlow?

Comment

Here too have been using a Davis Vantage Vue now for over 10 years for local weather. Support has been great for said weather station. It has worked fine with Homeseer 2, 3 and now 4.

There is required maintenance of cleaning the rain tipping bucket and replacing battery ever few years as with any legacy style mechanical weather station.

I integrate local NOAA data with my weather station for use with irrigation mostly here in the Midwest. In FL on the gulf it does work fine with the weather although I would have preferred an accurate digital weather station.

I too am impressed here with the specs of the Weatherflow device.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
          So what you are saying is that the WeatherFlow matches the traditional Davis Vantage in terms of measurement accuracy and consistency?
          I have not conducted a detailed analysis, but am periodically checking on RH, Temp, and daily rain totals. My comparisons have always been in good agreement (within my expectations for error). RH differs by a few percent (e.g. 49% vs 52%), Temp withing a couple of degrees (81.8 vs. 80.7), Daily Rain (0.05 vs 0.07 in). I'm not concerned about absolute accuracy, just getting a reasonable estimate.

Also curious, if the Davis is doing well for you, why get the WeatherFlow?
          My Davis station's RH sensor got flaky this winter, actually reporting lower humidity when the RH exceeded approximately 80%. I use the local RH to help determine when icing conditions are present, so that was a problem. Changing the Temp/RH sensor requires taking the weather station apart, and it's not in a very accessible location for winter maintenance. I decided to take the opportunity to compare the WF station as a way to obtain the reliable RH readings.

When the weather warmed up, I replaced the Davis sensor and mounted the WF on the same pole as the Davis.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	wstations.jpg Views:	0 Size:	166.0 KB ID:	1552320

PS. It is my intention to do a more careful comparison of the two weather stations. But I don't know when I'll actually get around to do it.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post

PS. It is my intention to do a more careful comparison of the two weather stations. But I don't know when I'll actually get around to do it.
            The engineer/data geek in me would be very interested in your results.

While the Davis VP2 has a great reputation, there's no way I can personally justify close to $1k for a setup... hence why I'm interested if the WF is almost as good at more than half the price.

Very appreciative of the feedback you offered.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post

I too am impressed here with the specs of the Weatherflow device.
              Do you own one or are you thinking of it?

Comment

Do you own one or are you thinking of it?

No.

I have been OK using the Davis.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
                  The engineer/data geek in me would be very interested in your results.
                  Good to have an incentive. I'll see if I can get my ____ moving on it.

Comment

Based on this conversation I just ordered a WeatherFlow as my Father's Day present. It's supposed to arrive Saturday, I'll report findings. I opted to go with the AK Weather PI since if it doesn't meet expectations or promises, I can return it and switch to any one of other PWS methods with the same PI.

Comment

I have an Ambient Weather Station and it has been great. It has a solar panel so I put it in the side yard away from everything.

My only complain was the ethernet/IP interface has a memory leak, so I reboot it once a week or so with an appliance module.
                      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                      Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                      weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
                        I have an Ambient Weather Station and it has been great. It has a solar panel so I put it in the side yard away from everything.

My only complain was the ethernet/IP interface has a memory leak, so I reboot it once a week or so with an appliance module.
                        Which model of theirs are you using? From looking at their website, seems they have "traditional" instrumentation and newer ultrasonic stuff.

Comment

Here's a good article on comparing the Davis VP2 and Weatherflow.
                          https://community.weatherflow.com/t/...omparison/2293
                          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I happen to have both the Davis and the Weatherflow units in my toybox. Have had the Davis for many years and am still learning the Tempest (Weatherflow).

Have to say the I am really liking the Weatherflow unit.... Small, no moving parts (read no Cr@p in the rain teeter totter) seems quite accurate as well.

My one learning on the Weatherflow is to allow it a couple of weeks to calibrate the UV. I jumped right in and setup a load of new events triggering on the UV levels and had my south facing shades dancing up and down for a bit.

Am currently leverageing AK's weather plug-in to get information directly from the PWS and a remote feed from Weather Underground. There is also a feed for air quality that I just turned up yesterday.... not sure what to do with that data yet, but fun to have.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                              Here's a good article on comparing the Davis VP2 and Weatherflow.
                              https://community.weatherflow.com/t/...omparison/2293
                              Thanks for that, Rupp. Reading that confirms other reviews that I've read that the wind sensor has issues... and the response from the WF employee, IMO, kind of side-stepped the issue and tried to deflect to the eventual issues one would have with the Davis.

I just get the feeling the ultrasonic sensors in this level of PWS is not ready for primetime. While sensors with moving parts will eventually have mechanical issues, it seems to me they are more accurate during their useful lifespan.

Comment

Working...
                              X