What’s the best app these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rjh

I'm using HST, but it's getting old and outdated. Is there new modern version coming anytime soon? This is core functionality and it should come from HomeSeer not some third party's mediocre solutions.

Comment

HS4 was a big update that we did recently, and we keep adding features. I am not sure what is old? What features are you looking for? This thread mentions watch features, is that what you are referring too?

Originally posted by Thedude View Post
      rjh

I'm using HST, but it's getting old and outdated. Is there new modern version coming anytime soon? This is core functionality and it should come from HomeSeer not some third party's mediocre solutions.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
        HS4 was a big update that we did recently, and we keep adding features. I am not sure what is old? What features are you looking for? This thread mentions watch features, is that what you are referring too?

I "think" he meant HSTouch.
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
          Yes, of course it is about HSTouch as the thread is about apps.
          No, the smart watch compatibility is not a big issue at all.

Good things first

- pretty powerful designer
          - I have seen designs by others (not me, I don't have the nerve and time to spent) that are beautiful and functional too.
          - intuitive, relatively easy to learn

My gripes are about

- designer is about 10 years old and hasn't been maintained/updated
          - a lot of bugs
          - it is HS3 mate and not updated to HS4 features
          - clients do not maintain backwards compatibility with older iOS

I had to trash 6 older iPAds that were framed on the walls to act as HSTouch clients due to compatibility issues.

Comment

An HSTouch refresh is being working on now. We are planning a totally new version but it made sense to spend a little time cleaning up the current version. There are many changes and new features in the refresh. I should have a more complete update posted this week. You can follow here:

HSTouch Refresh Preview V 3.0.0.84 - HomeSeer Message Board

Originally posted by Thedude View Post

Yes, of course it is about HSTouch as the thread is about apps.
            No, the smart watch compatibility is not a big issue at all.

Good things first

- pretty powerful designer
            - I have seen designs by others (not me, I don't have the nerve and time to spent) that are beautiful and functional too.
            - intuitive, relatively easy to learn

My gripes are about

- designer is about 10 years old and hasn't been maintained/updated
            - a lot of bugs
            - it is HS3 mate and not updated to HS4 features
            - clients do not maintain backwards compatibility with older iOS

I had to trash 6 older iPAds that were framed on the walls to act as HSTouch clients due to compatibility issues.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

rjh

That's great ! Thanks for the good news.

Comment

HSBuddy is unfortunately not all that great. I'm a simple man with a simple dream to have a nice good looking functional app, that's not crazy buggy in the year 2022... With HSBuddy it takes a lifetime to build a dashboard and good luck getting the devices you add to be a consistent width/height (it's a major mission). Also changing the controls is not intuitive. For example, if I simply want to change the temperature from 73 degrees to 74, it requires like four clicks and then I gotta TYPE in 74 and then hit save. There should simply be a plus button... It takes longer for me to use the app than to get up, walk across the room, and hit the plus on the thermostat... Also, there's no way (that I know) to group devices together. For example, if you have 3 light switches in your living room and you want all of them to turn/off together, you can't do that easily (unless you go make new controls in HS)... At this point, I think the only solution is for HomeSeer to buy Imperihome, fix it, modernize it, and just let us continue to use that. Nothing else is even remotely comparable so far...

Comment

Yes, I find creating decent HSbuddy screens really taxes my patience. Icons jump around like crazy when I try to edit the dashboards particularly on my s21. I've got a couple of workable dashboards which took me a long time to create but I also still use Imperihome which was much easier to setup for my thermostat and irrigation.
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                    Yes, I find creating decent HSbuddy screens really taxes my patience. Icons jump around like crazy when I try to edit the dashboards particularly on my s21. I've got a couple of workable dashboards which took me a long time to create but I also still use Imperihome which was much easier to setup for my thermostat and irrigation.
                    Same on iPhone. Pretty much every single time I close/open the app the layout has shifted around a little bit. It's super annoying... The thing on iPhone is that though, I think once we get new phones, we can't even download Imperihome anymore. It is most definitely still the best app for HomeSeer that's ever existed.

Comment

I never had a chance to use Imperihome, but wish I did, so I could provide my opinion. I find any app that I have to edit entirely from the deice to be a non-starter. I suffer from reduced vision and it just gets too tedious for me. Personally, i find the iOS Home app connected to Homebridge (with HS4 plugin for Homebridge) very easy to configure and use. Installing Nodejs and Homebridge can be a bit challenging, but once it's installed, it's simply a matter of editing a JSON text file to add new devices. It's also supported on the Apple watch. The one thing I do wish is that it had better support for sensor display and I haven't yet been able to get my custom garage door controls setup and working.
                      "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                        I never had a chance to use Imperihome, but wish I did, so I could provide my opinion. I find any app that I have to edit entirely from the deice to be a non-starter. I suffer from reduced vision and it just gets too tedious for me. Personally, i find the iOS Home app connected to Homebridge (with HS4 plugin for Homebridge) very easy to configure and use. Installing Nodejs and Homebridge can be a bit challenging, but once it's installed, it's simply a matter of editing a JSON text file to add new devices. It's also supported on the Apple watch. The one thing I do wish is that it had better support for sensor display and I haven't yet been able to get my custom garage door controls setup and working.
                        For sure you would have liked ImperiHome. It made creating/editing dashboards super easy. It's been a fantastic app through the years... But yeah, I think now that it's done, I'm going with the iOS Home app too. At some point, I even made an application to generate the JSON file. That was about 4 years ago though. I think nowadays there are easier ways to add devices and create that JSON file. I'll have to start looking into it again before iPhone 14 is released.

Comment

Just quick FYI regarding HSBuddy, I've started working on an editor that can be used from the HS website (i.e. on a desktop/laptop) to make it less painful to edit complex dashboards. For those having trouble with dashboards showing inconsistent widget sizes, etc, I'd appreciate if you could send a screenshot through an in-app feedback request.

Also a quick plug: HSBuddy now has Apple Watch and WearOS companion apps available. Still in early stages but would love some feedback if you have a chance to try it out.

jumper4000 I'll take a look at adding +/- buttons for ranged values!

Comment

Thanks man. I really appreciate it. I'll send you a screen recording of the inconsistencies. Also, are you able to add device grouping? So we can control multiple light switches/dimmers at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by avargaskun View Post
                              ... I've started working on an editor that can be used from the HS website (i.e. on a desktop/laptop) ...
                              👍 This is great news! Looking forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X