Notch filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notch filter

I've searched the web a bit but can't find anything so I'm hoping one of you all can help me out. Does anyone know where I can find a notch filter that will only allow CATV channels 88-91 (one or two channels above or below that would be ok too) to pass through while blocking every thing else? A link or just a point in the right direction is all I really need.
    Thanks in advance everyone!

You may have tried this already, but if not, try searching for a "bandpass" filter. A notch filter would normally REMOVE select channels, whereas a bandpass would remove everything else except those select channels. Sorry I cant be of more help.

Comment

Originally posted by fireball
      I've searched the web a bit but can't find anything so I'm hoping one of you all can help me out. Does anyone know where I can find a notch filter that will only allow CATV channels 88-91 (one or two channels above or below that would be ok too) to pass through while blocking every thing else? A link or just a point in the right direction is all I really need.
      Thanks in advance everyone!
      We have a manufacturer for the products.

What is the application ? We can probably special order it, or perhaps provide an easier way.

These block a wider range, and I know that's not what you asked for, but it would be similar.

http://www.iautomate.com/5klp.html

Keep in mind that whatever range you select the first channel that you insert should be four channels above or below the filter limitations.

Thanks

Peter

Comment

Hi Peter,
        FYI The specifications download link for the low pass filter on the page you reference is a dead link.

So, is this how a low pass filter would be used?

SatDish>Sat Receiver (DirecTivo in my case) > RF output > Low pass filter > Video distribution amp (3 in 8 out) > RG6 to TVs

and for the modulator:
        Video / Audio Source > Modulator on Channels 92, 94, 96 > Video distribution amp (3 in 8 out) > RG6 to TVs

Comment

Originally posted by smoothtlk
          Hi Peter,
          FYI The specifications download link for the low pass filter on the page you reference is a dead link.

So, is this how a low pass filter would be used?

SatDish>Sat Receiver (DirecTivo in my case) > RF output > Low pass filter > Video distribution amp (3 in 8 out) > RG6 to TVs

and for the modulator:
          Video / Audio Source > Modulator on Channels 92, 94, 96 > Video distribution amp (3 in 8 out) > RG6 to TVs
          You don't have email capabilities on the board....Please email me and we can figure this out.

Are you also inserting CATV signal on the same line Distribution block ?

Comment

I use a Channel Vision Low Pass filter to allow channels 2-56 from my cable to be passed. The fiilter clears out all channels starting at 60 and above. I then insert using multiple modulators channels:

• 60 - Dish Network Sat Receiver
            • 62 - RePlay TV (Tivo competator)
            • 64 - DVD Changer
            • 68 - Future
            • 70 - Basement Sat Rec and DVR
            • 72 - Front Door Outdoor Camera
            • 74 - Side Door Camera
            • 76 - Back Door Camera
            • 78 - Future Cam
            • 80 - Video output from HomeSeer machine
            • 82 - Video output from Media Server
            • 84 - Future
            This all works very well. Are you sure you want to block both low and high? In most applications you want to block (clean) the upper end channels and pass the normal TV channels.

George

Comment

George;

Do you notice much of a difference in handling your video via RF instead of direct video connections?

I hope this doesn't start a big debate but I have heard I should stick with base video and have been plagued by the costs of baluns and extra wiring to do this. Would putting everything back (DVR, Sat, etc) on my RG6 cable plant be just as good for remote viewing?

Thanks

Comment

Rube,

I really haven't noticed much difference. There is of course, the general difference between getting an RF feed vs an S-Video, Composite or Component inputs. But as for any difference in the RF signals I'd have to say no. Now, I didn't buy the more expensive stereo multiplex modulators so my basement sat receiver and the other units that are not directly connected to my family room entertainment center are transmitted in mono but that simply a function of the modulator equipment that I could change out if I wanted to. The devices on 60-64 are next to my family room big screen and they are also directly connected (S-Video and Component) to the HD TV. They are also modulated so that all the other TV's in the house can also select them to view.

Comment

Go to Channelvision.com. You can specially order filters to block out certain channels. I received a catolog last week, but I threw it out the other day. If I find the part number I will let you know.

Comment

Hmm i just want to clarify because that is an odd request, you want to block every channel EXCEPT 88-91 ?

Usually they want all channels to Pass through the filter and "clean" or block a certain range of channels (like 88-91)

I couldn't find the post, but i know there is a website that specializes in Custom filters. They were too pricey for me, so i went with a low bandpass filter. And filter any channel above 80.

Comment

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....7&WebPage_ID=3

That's where I got my filters for my Video Surveillance over CATV system I'm running in my place. My particular filter passes all channels from 2 - 89 (I believe) and allows me to modulate on channel 92.

My schematic is at

http://www.netjunkies.net/streaker/vscatv.asp

Comment

Originally posted by FryGuy
                        I couldn't find the post, but i know there is a website that specializes in Custom filters. They were too pricey for me, so i went with a low bandpass filter. And filter any channel above 80.
                        That website is www.tinlee.com. I've never ordered anything from them, but they are able to make custom filters for any range of channels you want. You have to write them for an quote on your specific need as they seem to have no stock items.

Comment

Hi guys, sorry for the delayed response to great answers. After reading through it souds like a high pass filter would work just as well. The reason I'm wanting to block channels is because of my modulators. I've got two of the frequency agile modulators you could pick up at Radio Shack for around $25 that I combine into the coax lines that go out to the TV's around my place. They work just fine and do exactly what I want them to do on channels 88 & 91. The only problem is they also cause interference on some of my other regular channels (like 3-13, especially 6 which just happens to have my wife's favorite shows). I know the interference is caused by them because I've tried replacing every other part of the chain (wires and combiners) with no luck. I've watched the affected channels and they'll be perfectly clear until I plug one or both of the modulators in.
                          My plan is to combine my modulators together, feed the line into the high pass filter, and then combine that into my distribution network. Sound like it should work ok?
                          So, that being said, does anyone have a good source for a fairly decent price that can give me what I need?
                          Thanks!

Comment

I recall reading that the low cost modulators (1) can output too much power - so put in attenuators (pads) to reduce the level as much as possible; (2) have a lot of harmonics and intermod products (cheaply engineered) - the attenuator in (1) will help these, but a bandpass filter a few channels wide is the real cure.

Comment

Working...
                            X