Door lock that is smart but not churning batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door lock that is smart but not churning batteries

Tried few WiFi door locks and not happy with the battery life (3 mo. approximately).
    Z-wave is out of question for me as I "fired" all Z-wave equipment once and forever.
    So the question is if there is other RF choice for door locks that saves batteries and communicates over a gateway which is O.K. for me to have a Gateway suck in a closet.
    For example I'm very happy with Sonoff PIR Motion sensors that are RF and the batteries last forever. The trade off is that I have to host the Sonoff RF Gateway but not a big deal.
    Is there something similar in the door lock world ?

Thanks

My Yale YRD226 is available with both Zigbee and z-wave modules. You simply unplug the module and plug another one in. I went with z-wave since it seemed the features were more complete though there's no doubt in my mind that Zigbee battery life will be substantially better. Check in the JowiHue part of this forum to see if the lock features have improved. For instance things like controlling or adding lock codes was lacking a few months ago.

Batteries in my Yale last about three months as you wrote but I run an event that locks the door automatically if not manually locked. It's amazing how often that event triggers.

Comment

Why dismiss Z-Wave? My Schlage Connect Z-Wave Plus lock is showing 96% after 6 months of usage on our front door that is locked unlocked many times a day as I have it auto lock. This lock has been rock solid so I bought two more and they too are rock solid.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

+1 Yale / ZigBee. 6 months so far with Eneloop rechargeables. Using MQTT for HS integration.

Comment

Use August (Yale now, I think) for our locks. V3 runs Zwave and requires a hub to connect back to the Yale "mothership" for WiFi control (otherwise, its Bluetooth only). We like the lock and have no issues with it, would highly recommend considering it. Have no experience with the newer V4 locks.

Have also looked at the Level locks but don't have any info for battery life on those.

Comment

I also agree that the Yale YRD226 lock is a very good source. As indicted is can support either Zigbee, Z-wave, and other modules. The z-wave integration is seamless and provides full capabilities in HomeSeer.

Zigbee using Conbee II/JowieHue or MQTT is fully capable including user access control but not as seamless as z-wave. Using either module has very good battery like and I also use Eneloop rechargeables. Performance like for like, zigbee in my opinion is faster and more reliable and that I really think should be a consideration when comes to security, That being said, z-wave has not actually ever failed me but did at times retransmit to ensure secure. Regardless of the module, the lock functions are the same.

Comment

When I initially installed my Schlage locks, the batteries were draining in less than a month due to the constant polling of the lock. Once I disabled polling for the lock, the batteries now last almost a year.

Comment

Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
                When I initially installed my Schlage locks, the batteries were draining in less than a month due to the constant polling of the lock. Once I disabled polling for the lock, the batteries now last almost a year.
                Yes, polling causes a lot issues with Z-Wave devices and networks. There is rarely a need to poll newer modern devices and you should never polling frequently as this can slow down a network and caused delays.

💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Got the Yale Assure Lock SL with Z-Wave Plus after a great review on this board and couldn't be happier. Batteries last about a year and the zwave is rock sold. Always reporting status along with a daily battery status
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Get yourself a wired hinge and run the power to it instead of batteries.

Comment

Working...
                    X