Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ted

Blade:
    So far so good, need some more time though. I think when interfaced with their software or HS will be a lot better.

Dave...

Comment

I just purchased a TED unit Wednesday. Should be in today or Monday. Can't wait! I will post my progress here as well.

Comment

Okay TED has been running for a couple of days without a problem. I had one small problem hooking up the display behind a surge protector. I just switched to another outlet and no problem.

It looks to me a CM11a cable would work with the display.

Now just hope someone will get it communicating to Homeseer...

By the way I can't comment on usage with X10 as I only use Zwave

Comment

I have my TED up and running with no problem. Just a side note though. If your TED unit does not receive the signal from the xmitter make sure you have your breaker installed on the same phase as the plug you are using with the TED unit. A phase coupler may resolve this but I don't have any X10 products.

Comment

Received my TED and will hook it up this weekend.

Comment

Now that a few of you guys have had these installed for a week or so are you getting any ideas on how your gong to use this data or is it more of a curiosity seeking adventure. I'm curious how close this device measures with the actual power companies charges.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp,

I have been keeping a close eye on TED. It seems to react pretty quick when a device is plugged in or switched on. I've been testing using known wattages such as lights and power supplies. I also emailed the company asking if I could get the pin-out schematic for the unit and what protocol the box uses. I have not heard a response back yet. Will keep you guys posted.

Comment

I am really waiting to hear that there is absolutely no interference when using it with X10 and a coupler/repeater.

Once I have concrete proof that there is no issue with this, then I will get one as well.
                  Cheers,
                  Bob
                  Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Ted

Blade:
                    TED has been installed for a week now. I have tried it both with the repeater and with out the repeater. No noticeable difference. Before the unit was installed I had some random units going on/off. Have not tracked down the culprit yet. I dont think the TED is causing the problem because as I said it started before the unit was installed. I do see a .2mv pulse at one second intervals on my ELK power meter on one phase of the A/C. These pulses are not causing any problems. On the other phase it is .1mv.
                    Rupp:
                    The TED accuratly shows load and wattage usage and average per day and an estimate of usage before my bill comes. I will see how close when the final reading happens in June. My electric is on a load meter. I pay less when the load is lower. by shutting down Hot water tank(electric) or clothes dryer when the electric stove is on it cuts down on the load and saves some money on the electric bill. It does show the load, and wattage as units are turned on. The data could be used to trigger events when the load goes high.
                    ShadowDancer:
                    let me know if you get the pin outs. I have not ventured that way yet but would like to and it looks like the old cm11a serial cable will plug into the unit and interface to the cpu.

Dave

Comment

My TED is functional. Its wasn't hard to install. Took about 20 minutes. I REALLY wish they had not used aluminum wire. My breakers and panel are not approved for aluminum wire so technically it should be spliced with copper wire before connecting it to the panel. Copper wire would have cost them a whole extra $0.02

So far it doesn't seem to be bothering X-10 or my repeater. By X-10 meter does pick up the signal as 120KHz noise, but it doesn't seem bad enough to cause any problems. I do, however, think the company could have designed it in such a way that it didn't bother X-10 at all.

As for the device, I really like it, and my wife does as well. Very educational. It supports a variety of rate plans but unfortunaly doesn't support ours. It does support up to three different rates at different hours, and it supports a "peak KWH" demand penelty, but what it DOESN'T support is varing it by day of the week. Our rates here are off peak during the weekend and peak 9am-9pm weekdays. The meter can get the 9am-9pm part, but it doesn't allow for off peak on weekends. And I don't think having off peak rates on weekends is that rare. I addition, our peak demand penelty is only measured weekdays during the peak hours. The meter lets you use a peak demand penalty but its in effect at all times, not just weekdays like our actual rate.

Hopefully they can get these bugs worked out. Otherwise the meter is pretty handy and accurate and I can't wait till it connects to HomeSeer.

Comment

Wow we must be the only place on earth left that doesn't do rate based electricity consumption. They just charge us a high rate all the time.
                        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp,

Your not alone, I don't get any discount based on time of day either.

StevenE
                          Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

Are you sure they don't? Most places that I have lived DO, but you do have to search it out. The reason the electric company doesn't advertise it, is because, you guessed, you usually pay less with these rates. We have three rates to pick from here, and every month I put the electric data in a spreadsheet. Without a doubt, the straight rate is usually 30 - 50% more expensive than the other two. The three rates here are:

1) Pay high all the time
                            2) High rates 9am - 9pm weekdays, low rates other times
                            3) Same as #2, but you also pay a penelty for the most KWH you use during any period 9am - 9pm weekdays.

I'm on #3 which has always been the cheapest for us, and the only change we really do is not do the dishwasher, dryer, etc. 9-9 weekdays, and we have HomeSeer control the AC so only one unit is on at a time.

I like the rate a lot. During off-peak hours, electricity is about $0.02 a KWH, which is pretty cheap.

Comment

Installed Ted

Installation of Ted was straight forward and easy. Been running for 3 days now, no troubles with my X10 devices. Found an old fridge that was causing major spikes of power consumption. Switched over to another fridge.

Can't wait to get this baby hooked up to HS. The sooner the better.....

Comment

My TED has been running for about a week now. For the most part is doesn't interfere with X-10, but I have seen the number of X-10 random events increase and on events whhere I check status, I've seen more retries required on occasion. Not bad, and certainly liveable but definitly a greater number of X-10 errors than before. Also had a few instances where the TED box stops receiving a signal for a period.

One other thing. I installed the TED and I was a bit upset that it had aluminum wires which connect it to the panel. Many panels don't permit aluminum wire. I wrote the company and they claim its copper wire, but tinned. I did see the tinning, but cut the wire shorter because I wanted to shorten the length of the wires. It certainly looks to me that the wires are aluminum and not copper. Did anyone else notice this? I don't mean the tinned end, I mean the wire itself.
                                Last edited by ; May 26, 2005, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X