Energy / Electricity Usage Tracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy / Electricity Usage Tracking

I saw these examples of people monitoring energy usage. I thought it might be useful to have some real-time energy monitoring as well.

http://www.seanadams.com/pge/

http://www.bwired.nl/stroom.asp

Anybody know of other devices or ways to measure and log the home's electricity usage real time?

Our province (in Canada) has just announed that they're going to implement "smart" meters over the next 4 years. I remember a message thread here where someone reviewed what they had done with their smart meter and how they monitored their electrical useage. I am hoping that the meter that will get installed will allow me to tap into it so that HS can monitor my useage.

Their whole approach here it to charge for useage based on the time of day of the useage - with a rate structure to promote off-house use. Makes sense, and hey - it's also a further reason for home automation!

There is a large public outroar, with people not wanting "big brother" watching them. I was thinking of volunteering so I could get the meter early......and see if I could impact their choice of equipment so that it was more "manageable". I'll have to look into it more.

Comment

I found this device too. Not sure it is available yet.

http://www.theenergydetective.com/frameset.asp

I'm also interested in measuring natural gas usage real time.

There were a couple of web sites talking about the theory that displaying energy usage real time inside the home could induce people to lower their consumption. They had a conceptual design contest to come up with gadgets that would display via lights how much energy a home is using.

Comment

Energy, water(hot/cold) and gas control

Hi Guys

I have realtime energy, gas cold- and hot water control!
        its right! i dropped 3000kwh this year, just bij seeing what i use directly
        and getting more real with it.

www.bwired.nl

grtx

Pieter

Comment

bwired,
          Where is db the location you listed where you are from?
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

bwired,

Mooie site!

I take it you're from the Netherlands (Holland). I lived in Belgium for a year back in the 80's. Your site inspired me to look for ways to implement automated logging on american electricity/gas meters. Our electric meters don't have flashing LEDs like yours.

Comment

I have no flashing led neither for measuring (I don't know really as I live in a 7th floor and all counters are in a "counters room" in the basement of the building).

I would like to measure directly from the wires at the break panel.

In this thread there is a IC that looks very insteresting to do it http://forums.homeseer.com/showpost....2&postcount=33

Don't know if somebody tried it.

Mario.-

Peter: I like your site a lot!

Comment

sensing the current in the AC mains for a home - The sensor referenced above is for mounting on a PC board where the circuit's current flows through the conductors on this sensor. It's intended to be designed-into products - not viable as a whole-house sensor as a retrofit.

Split-core magnetics are needed - as a retrofit. This opens, then closes around the large diameter conductor for the AC mains, times 2, one per phase. There are a few around - have been mentioned on this forum in the past.

Another I've seen is a photocell sensor to count revolutions of the spinning disk inside many meters in the US. Senses the black stripe on the disk.

Most US power companies are in the midst of planning/deploying new high tech meters with (two-way) wireless or data-over-power-lines remote readers, with remote programming. So they can offer you a real deal! You let them remotely control and cap your max consumption during peak hours and we'll give you lower rates - or more realistic - they won't raise the rates as much. They'll shut off the leg to your air conditioner (summertime).

Comment

bwired,
                  What did you use to create your web pages? They really look nice !!!!!

Comment

Stevech,
                    Do you have a link that speaks about how to use the split core magnetics to monitor electrical usage.

Comment

I have a watt-hour meter (swhm 12.11 11) with a passive impulse-output: corresponding to "SO" - conditions of DIN 43864: 18 v to 27 v; max 27 mA; max length of lead: 1 m. Impulse length >- 30 ms.
                      I did buy it at www.conrad.com
                      I use it with the temp08 1 wire interface. Works great!

http://62.166.54.251/Charts_energie.asp

I have attached a english pdf file. I use the same counter bwired uses.
                      I think this one is only for 220V, but there must be something like it for 110V!

Peter
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by peterpc; January 31, 2005, 03:49 PM.
                      Peter

http://ohh.pcgsm.nl

Comment

Peter,
                        Any US direct links for the device you bought. Also the asp page you linked is returning a dead page.
                        Last edited by Rupp; January 31, 2005, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Bwired

Hi Guys,

Im from the netherlands (den-Bosch)
                          My site is programmed in ASP. I have MYsql database where i log all activities
                          I use 1-wire, Xanura a10 (the better x10 wit status control, better signal etc)
                          For the energy water and gas i use 1-wire counters with battery backup.
                          for the gas i use a cny70 light transmitter reciver, the last counter on my gasmeter has a small reflelecting part in the middle of the six. If the six comes along the cny70 reads one count (puls). For tthe energy i use the flash light that flashes 480 times a KW, the same 1-wire for this.
                          For the water i have installed some special water counter with puse counters, 1 pulse every 0.5 liter, also a 1-wire counter for hot and cold water.

Im not anly monitoring my house but i can also control most of the devices.
                          Regards
                          Pieter

Comment

I looked at the SWHM 12.11 11 device and do not understand how it works. I also do not know if valid readings would be provided with a 60Hz input frequency. It looks to have a KWH display, pulse output, and voltage output. How are these outputs used to get KWH consumption into HS?

Comment

Hello bwired
                              where buy from the xanura devices (the web) and price?
                              im from the hungary, now use marmitek x10 devices, but 4-5 twostate-relay device goes dead, and dont buy another this

Comment

Working...
                              X