Alexa Smarthome Skill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa Smarthome Skill

I had to disable and reenable the Alexa skill. It now requires me to speak the room location along with the device name, even though the device names are unique. Otherwise she responds: "There are a few devices with that name, which one do you want?"

Anyone else seeing this issue?

If you click on the control feature of the device, the Voice Command text will override the room/device names.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot1.png
Views:	116
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	1556957

So, anything in that field will be used instead of the room/device name. If you change it, just "Alexa, discover devices" and you should be good.

HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
    72 Z-Wave Nodes, 111 Events, 422 Devices
    Z-Wave, UPB, WiFi
    Plugins: EasyTrigger, weatherXML, OMNI, Z-Wave, Tuya, Device History
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

Thanks Rob. I am still using HS3 and those device options don't exist. Seems to me that the Alexa skill must have changed, since I never had this issue. All of my HS3 devices now require me using the room + device name. I guess the answer is to migrate to HS4.

Comment

oof - sorry I missed that. Yeah, HS4 will give you the Voice Command field which is much more useful than the concatenation of room/device.
        Make backups before you start!
        HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
        72 Z-Wave Nodes, 111 Events, 422 Devices
        Z-Wave, UPB, WiFi
        Plugins: EasyTrigger, weatherXML, OMNI, Z-Wave, Tuya, Device History
        HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

Check to be sure that the Echo doesn't have the devices in it's list twice. Sometime on doing a discovery, the echo doesn't realize it's the same device and so adds a second one with the same name. Go to alexa.amazon.com to see the devices you have for the echo and you can either delete specific devices or delete all the devices and do a new discovery. If you do it from the app you have to do the deletes one at a time.
          Wade

sigpic

website | products | support | youtube
          I know nothing...., nothing!!!

Comment

Hi Wade, thanks for the response. I have been using both the Smart Home skill (thanks for your contributions) and the Homeseer skill for years. Something changed with the Homeseer skill discover devices. I now need to say the room+device name to have Alexa recognize the device. The Smart Home skill works as always, Alexa tell homeseer [device name], no room qualifier needed.

So, prior to this situation, I did remove all my devices and rediscovered them. What I noticed is that I now have half as many devices as prior to the delete/rediscover. Previously, Alexa held both the room+device name, AND the device name only (no room name). So having 1/2 the devices makes sense.

It's a real pain the give the room+device name for the HS skill, otherwise I get the "a few things share the name ......", from Alexa. I am using HS3.

Comment

I upgraded to HS4 and all works perfectly now that I can put the voice command within the device settings

Comment

The original skill hasn't changed since it got published (our pass through process was grandfathered in with the original Amazon skill) so it would be in the device names if there's an issue.

It was built before the device/feature structure was implemented

If the parser finds more than one device/feature with a name, it asks for more details to try to qualify it.
                Wade

sigpic

website | products | support | youtube
                I know nothing...., nothing!!!

Comment

Not sure why on HS3, Alexa kept saying there was more than one device with that name, which force me to say the room+device name. All the devices were unique.

Regardless, my problem is solved with HS4...... I had been putting off the migration to HS4 and this issue gave me the motivation. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X