Recommendation? - Repurposing an indoor door sensor for an outside gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendation? - Repurposing an indoor door sensor for an outside gate

I'm using a Z-wave solution with my HomeTroller Zee S2.
    I am looking to install a wireless door sensor on my side gate. I can't seem to find any that are specifically rated for outdoors so I'm willing to buy an indoor one and roll the dice with it. My question for those of you already using Z-wave door sensors, is, which would you use (or specifically not use) in that kind of situation. (Canadian weather, BTW).
    I know the elements will shorten its life etc. etc. but which unit seems to have the best design to handle the sun/rain/snow?

Thanks in advance
    -steve

Search for "Sensative Z-wave door sensor" on Google. They used to be packages of three, now it's one for too much money. But they work very well with excellent battery life.

https://www.amazon.com/Sensative-Z-W...%2C6886&sr=8-2

Comment

Search YouTube for "mailbox sensor" or more specifically "z-wave mailbox sensor". You'll get some good ideas from these videos. Most are using magnetic contacts that you'd use on the gate.

BTW, how far from the house is the gate? Can you put the z-wave module inside and run a length of wire to the contact?
      "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

I use wireless X10 door sensors on my gates. I mount a hidden magnetic reed switch designed for interior doors on the gate and run the wires to the transmitter in a small plastic box. I've never had problems with water damage, but ants can be a problem. I found that painting the box with spray paint for plastics was useful to extend the life of the box outside. UV is really hard on cheap plastic. I also spray the box several times a year with ant repellent. Still occasionally lose a transmitter when the ants fill it with eggs.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

BTW, how far from the house is the gate?
          The distance that needs to be traversed is a significant factor. There are many open/close contact solutions with various technologies.

I have been very happy with Zigbee for battery-operated sensors including contact and tilt sensors. In my mailbox case, I use Zigbee on the mailbox with an embedded magnet and Xiaomi contact sensor. I get the status back to HS using LoRa/Serial with redundancy using WiFi NanoStation. This is much more technology than you need but illustrates the distance criteria.

I have also been very happy with 433 MHz RF as a transmission mechanism using the very cheap QIAChip. These are 4 channel RF transmitters with corresponding receivers. These are the devices you see in the generic 4-button keychain remotes. In my case I use SonoffRF or SDR to receive, but it could also be done with the QIAChip paired receiver to provide a discrete input. In my experience the range is around 50 ft.

For non-critical applications then you can consider things that interface via Cloud. YoLink provides contacts sensors for both indoor and outdoor applications. YoLink uses LoRa so range is usually not an issue. mcsMQTT plugin can handle the YoLink to HS interface.

Comment

Here is a similar thread from few years ago, I have two gate setup this way and they still work fine.

HTML Code:
            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/homeseer-products-services/general-discussion-area/1265415-sensor-for-outdoor-gate?p=1265426#post1265426

Comment

Indoor Z-wave sensor converted to Outside Gate sensor with gap external contacts.

Comment

Otto-mation - This is a very low-tech approach, but I just wrapped a Gen7 Aeotec recessed door sensor in black vinyl tape and it has been working fine on a wood gate in my backyard for well over a year...probably closer to two years. I've done the same with older monoprice vibration sensors on my window wells too. The lack of outdoor z-wave stuff I find surprising.

It's a bit of a pain cutting off the old tape and putting on new tape when replacing a battery but with Gen7 battery life I've only changed it once.

PS - I live in Denver so cold seems to not be a factor.

Amazon.com: Zwave Door Sensor Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor 7, Z-Wave Plus Enabled Smart Door Sensor Battery Powered, SmartStart S2, Zwave Hub Required SmartThings Fibaro Home Centre 3 Hubitat : Tools & Home Improvement

Comment

I saved this one from Zooz for my gates which says they offer an outdoor case for the sensor. Haven't gotten around to trying it yet.
                  https://a.co/d/6o967kG

Comment

Wow, lots of useful and creative solutions and suggestions here. Much thanks to all.
                    I'm currently using a pair of generic magentic reed switches on the gate, running Bell quad wire into the cabana connected to the Aeon ZW097 contact sensor, which has been working great (other than heavy rains would short the exposed contacts).
                    Since we're now (just today) thinking of moving, I think I will stick with this for the time being.
                    But I have saved all of your suggestions because there are some gems here that also have a broader applicability, too.
                    (gawd, I love this forum! You people are the best!)

Comment

It isn't Z-wave, but I have some Dakota Alert equipment that I use and I used their closed contact sensor in our mailbox. Rated for outdoors...

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                      Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                      weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Thanks for sharing the idea. I've decided to try a door sensor on the gate (for now) and have covered it with plastic wrap, which seems to have worked through the rains at this point. I have my doubts about handling the winter temperatures but we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Otto-mation View Post
                          I have my doubts about handling the winter temperatures but we'll see.
                          I'm just on the other side of Lake Ontario and have been using door sensors on my gates for over 10 years. Cold has never been a problem. Battery life is a little shorter than the same sensors inside, but still typically more than two years, and that could be because a weak battery results in reduced transmission strength, which is more likely to be a problem for gates that are further from the receiver antenna.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Sensative are great but very expensive. I got lucky and bought when they were a package of three. I also have a regular door/window sensor from Aqara (zigbee protocol) that has been on another gate outside for over three years with the same tiny battery. It's not even a 2032, it's a 1632. Never an issue with water intrusion.

Comment

What I did was use an overhead garage door sensor since they are already waterproof. Then run the wire in metal conduit in the house and connect to whatever you want to use. Mine went to the alarm panel. Then I setup the panel to ignore the input for alarms but report the change so my HA system could track it, but you could use a wireless sensor that will connect to a dry contact closure.
                              A computer's attention span is as long
                              as it's powercord.

Comment

Working...
                              X