Suddenly can't access my HS4 Home Troller Plus without a Remote Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suddenly can't access my HS4 Home Troller Plus without a Remote Desktop

My system suddenly became unavailable via MyHS last night, from the Web and Mobile connections. I finally found I could make a connection using a Remote Desktop Connection, and as long as that remains active, I can log in from the other devices, and all activities work.

As soon as I Sign Off of the Remote Session, I'm back to no connections at all, and the device doesn't process any Events. I'm at a loss with this problem. I've tried Rebooting and I've Restored from yesterday's Backup, to no avail.

I finally figured out that my biggest problem, not being able to connect anything to the Hub unless there was an active Remote Desktop Connection, had been caused by my troubleshooting on the original problem, which was that my Laptop was not able to log in. At one point, I decided to reboot the Hub, which I did by using the Remote Connection Tools/System/Restart System. That was a bad choice. After that, nothing would connect unless I had an active Remote Connection.

Unfortunately, my act had left the Hub in a state that it was booted up to the Remote Connection, and apparently it just went brain dead each time I Signed Off of a Remote Desktop Connection.

With no active Remote Connection running, I forced the Hub to shut down, then powered it back up, resulting in it booting properly, active and ready for normal connections. Now my mobile apps, Chromebook and Desktop PC are all connecting and running normally again, with just the Laptop having a very laggy and erratic web connection to the Hub. I still need to resolve that problem, but that is much less scary than what I first reported.

Comment

I did some testing today, trying to figure out how to terminate a Remote Desktop Session with my HomeSeer HS4 Troller Plus, that would leave it in an operational state, and available to other devices, without me having to force manual power shutdowns. I found that from either my Desktop or Laptop, using the recommendation to press START, at the bottom left, then the icon above it, and finally DISCONNECT, left the HomeSeer in a non-operational state, which required manual power intervention to restore.

I can continue experimenting, but I'm hoping that someone with prior experience on this can let me know if there is indeed a proper termination procedure that will do a clean job, and what that process is.

Comment

When using Windows you have to leave a user logged in to run HomeSeer.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
          When using Windows you have to leave a user logged in to run HomeSeer.
          Aha! Thanks drhtmal, I just ran and Disconnected a couple of Remote Desktop Connections from my PC successfully, this time using the sequence Start/Power/Disconnect. No problems, and everything still worked afterward. With the mouse hovering over the Disconnect button, it even displayed: "End your connection to this Remote PC"

Comment

Having resolved the big problem of not being able to access HomeSeer without a Remote Desktop session, I was left with the problem that started all of my grief, which was that the normal browser connection between my Laptop and HomeSeer became extremely slow, or completely unavailable.

I was able to exclude the WiFi connection as a possible source of the problem, and finally reset Windows 11 on the Laptop back to a Restore Point, which preceded the start of the problem. That resolved it for me, with virtually instantaneous response with the HomeSeer server.

I still don't know what actually caused that problem, but I'll watch carefully for any repeat.

Comment

The easiest way to terminate a remote desktop is to run a batch file located on the remote PC. I have a shortcut on the desktop which is run via the Remote desktop connection. It will also reconnect the audio back correctly for local use:

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...90#post1382190
              Jon

Comment

Thanks jon00

That worked. The only minor issue I encountered was your suggestion on the other thread to: "right-click on the shortcut, select advanced and check the 'run as administrator' check box."

I didn't see a selection for 'Advanced'

Comment

Did you create a shortcut to the bat file?
                  Jon

Comment

Yes. but I just realized that I missed a step. I went back and right-clicked on Properties, and saw the Advanced and set it. All is well now. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X