Connecting HS4 to an ISY994

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting HS4 to an ISY994

I have seen references about HS4 connected to an ISY994 but I haven't seen any how-to for that option. I'd like to do that before the time runs out on my trial HS4 copy to make sure that it works before I spend the money for a new controller that will work with Z-Wave.

ISYInsteon is a HS3 plugin but should work fine in HS4. I am still on HS3 so have not tried it on HS4 but I think others are using it with no issues.

Comment

Yes, there is a plug-in and I have it. However, all the information on the website that actually tells you how to connect to Insteon is centered around connecting to an Insteon Hub. I can find no how-to on connecting to the ISY994i or a 2413S from HS4 or a HomeTroller. Unfortunately, I threw out my 2412u some time ago so a USB connection is out. If I had the wiring for a dB9 to RJ45, I'm pretty sure I could use my 2413S with an Amazon serial to USB adapter.

Comment

If your ISY994 is functioning then you must already have a working PLM. The connection from Homeseer to the ISY is via IP address on your network. Essentially you set up your Insteon network using the ISY and then connect to it through the plugin which imports all of the devices into Homeseer. I guess I don't understand what it is you are asking.

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
          If your ISY994 is functioning then you must already have a working PLM. The connection from Homeseer to the ISY is via IP address on your network. Essentially you set up your Insteon network using the ISY and then connect to it through the plugin which imports all of the devices into Homeseer. I guess I don't understand what it is you are asking.
          I have HS4 working just fine with my ISY994 with the ISYInsteon plugin. For that matter, it works with Polisy as well. As long as you have a working ISY994 (which has to have a functioning PLM 2413s if you are actually controlling Insteon devices) you should be good to go. If you don't have a PLM that's a serious problem since 'Smart'home is out of business and ebay sales of them, even if available, are outrageously expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by keepersg View Post

I have HS4 working just fine with my ISY994 with the ISYInsteon plugin. For that matter, it works with Polisy as well. As long as you have a working ISY994 (which has to have a functioning PLM 2413s if you are actually controlling Insteon devices) you should be good to go. If you don't have a PLM that's a serious problem since 'Smart'home is out of business and ebay sales of them, even if available, are outrageously expensive.
            I know that I can buy a USB-to-Serial adapter and a serial-to-RJ45 adapter to connect to the PLM. I was hoping that there was/is a way for the HomeTroller to connect to the ISY994i directly. The HomeTroller seems to want a com port to connect and not an IP address.

Comment

This ISYInsteon plugin (https://shop.homeseer.com/products/i...lug-in-for-hs3) connects to your ISY994i through it's IP address. It will then upload all of your Insteon devices that the ISY994i knows about into Homeseer as Homeseer devices.

Comment

Originally posted by keepersg View Post
                This ISYInsteon plugin (https://shop.homeseer.com/products/i...lug-in-for-hs3) connects to your ISY994i through it's IP address. It will then upload all of your Insteon devices that the ISY994i knows about into Homeseer as Homeseer devices.
                Thank you for the explanation. That explains the references to connecting to a ISY994 when I was searching the posts on Insteon. I wish I had known about that insterface before I spent the $60 on Mark Sandler's version of an Insteon interface. Still, if the USB to serial kludge doesn't work I have a fallback now. Again, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X