Smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors

What's the current recommended Smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors that integrate with HS? I have the First Alert ZCOMBO units in my house, and the oldest one has just started with the 5 beep End Of Life beeps, so I need to replace it. I'm guessing that the rest will start to do the same over the next 12 months or so.

With the ZCOMBO units, they're obviously ZWave, but I'm open to Zigbee ones, as long as they're supported in HS (I use deConz for Zigbee at the moment). Not interested in putting them onto Wi-Fi though.

I've been looking at the heiman ones, but I'm wondering if there's any better options?

I'd need them to be battery operated as I don't want to have to run wiring across 3 floors. If there's linked ones available I'd be interested in those, rather than having to install a separate set of linked "non integrated" ones.

Thanks very much

G
    Last edited by gmitch64; August 24, 2022, 08:18 PM. Reason: Letters are hard.

I'm not far behind you time wise for EOL warnings. I'll be staying with ZCOMBO though I wonder how much longer they'll continue making them since Z-wave certainly isn't the most popular of protocols.

Does the EOL clock start when you first put batteries in or from the manufacture date? That might determine if I buy a bunch and put them on a shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
      I'll be staying with ZCOMBO though I wonder how much longer they'll continue making them since Z-wave certainly isn't the most popular of protocols.
      Well, it looks like they've been discontinued from several places, and it looks like Lowes and HomeDepot don't carry them any more, so I'm thinking that they're on their way out. As you say, Zwave isn't too popular in the consumer market.

I've also been looking at a linked set of alarms something like these...

https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-P4010DC.../dp/B076X6J5CM

and then using this

https://www.amazon.com/Ecolink-Wirel.../dp/B071Z8NM8N

for HS to pick up on the alert.
      It has the advantage of only needing a single listener for all the alarms, so I can put that somewhere out of the way, but close to my Zwave hub, and not have 2 sets of detectors in the house. The downside is that HS won't know which alarm went off, but to be honest, I'm not sure that's really an issue. If an alarm goes off, then the alarm has gone off and it doesn't really matter which one.

G

Comment

Originally posted by gmitch64 View Post

Well, it looks like they've been discontinued from several places, and it looks like Lowes and HomeDepot don't carry them any more, so I'm thinking that they're on their way out. As you say, Zwave isn't too popular in the consumer market.

I've also been looking at a linked set of alarms something like these...

https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-P4010DC.../dp/B076X6J5CM

and then using this

https://www.amazon.com/Ecolink-Wirel.../dp/B071Z8NM8N

for HS to pick up on the alert.
        It has the advantage of only needing a single listener for all the alarms
        , so I can put that somewhere out of the way, but close to my Zwave hub, and not have 2 sets of detectors in the house. The downside is that HS won't know which alarm went off, but to be honest, I'm not sure that's really an issue. If an alarm goes off, then the alarm has gone off and it doesn't really matter which one.

G
        Thanks for sharing this!

I've been waiting and waiting for a hardwired Z-wave smoke/Co2 detector, but I guess there's no demand.

It looks like this may be a decent stop-gap solution until/if there's ever an actual hardwired Z-wave detector on the market.

Ordered one and it should arrive in 2-3 days. I should be able to install and test within a week.

Comment

FWIW - Costco has a 3-pack of the Z-Wave detectors on sale for $79.99 through 9/20. I'll be getting some to replace my oldest ones.
          Steve

(System configuration is in my profile)

Comment

also see this on Amazon -- https://www.amazon.com/Z-Wave-Detect...61&sr=8-5&th=1

I would replace my existing ones First Alert ones but they are AC powered (with battery backup). Now to find ones that are both AC and Z-wave...

Comment

+1 for the Costco 3-pack, it lowers the price to < $30 a unit. Being Z-wave for me is an advantage since my HS4 platform is a laptop on a UPS, so all kinds of alerts and actions can be triggered, even if AC power fails. Turn on all lights, unlock doors, trigger alarms, send emails, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ecetron View Post

I would replace my existing ones First Alert ones but they are AC powered (with battery backup). Now to find ones that are both AC and Z-wave...
                You will not find any.

Comment

I have the Fire alarm listener. It works great.
                  HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                  Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                  weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
                    I have the Fire alarm listener. It works great.
                    Do you know if it works with the BRK/First Alert SC9120B alarms? From reading the Listener, it seems it responds to tone. The SC9120B gives 3 beeps for Fire and 4 for CO... not sure that will trigger the listener...

One of the nice features of the hardwired units is that they all go off at once..

Comment

also see this on Amazon -- https://www.amazon.com/Z-Wave-Detect...61&sr=8-5&th=1

Hardwired smoke alarms get very little love in almost every way when it comes to "smart". There has only ever been 1 hardwired that I ever found that was smart and could maybe Integrate into HS, and that was the Nest one. But at $200 a pop who is going to do that in a multiform house? I have 7 smoke alarms in my home. I also have problems with bugs getting in and tripping the alarm. Nobody makes one with a built in bug screen either. Wireless ones do though. But to meet code in my area, have to have hardwired.

Comment

Originally posted by Dweber85rc View Post

Hardwired smoke alarms get very little love in almost every way when it comes to "smart". There has only ever been 1 hardwired that I ever found that was smart and could maybe Integrate into HS, and that was the Nest one. But at $200 a pop who is going to do that in a multiform house? I have 7 smoke alarms in my home. I also have problems with bugs getting in and tripping the alarm. Nobody makes one with a built in bug screen either. Wireless ones do though. But to meet code in my area, have to have hardwired.
                        Don't the wire ones communicate on the wires so they all go off?
                        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                        Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                        weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

The best solution I was able to devise was to connect a Kiddie SM-120x relay to my Kiddie interconnected smoke detector in the basement. It was the end unit of the chain. I then connected a z-wave door/window sensor to the relay contacts to, at a minimum, get notified of the smoke alarm is triggered.
                          Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
                          Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
                          Number of Devices: 633
                          Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
                          2.0.54.0: BLBackup
                          2.0.40.0: BLLAN
                          3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
                          30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
                          3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
                          3.0.0.87: weatherXML
                          3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

Great idea -- i found this for my First Alert ones -- https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-R.../dp/B0039PF21U and then I can feed it right into this https://www.amazon.com/Universal-ZEN...96LLL1C6&psc=1 and poof z-wave alert with the interconnected units.... I can then have lights go on inside so we get get outside and the outside lights for first responders coming in...

Comment

Great idea -- i found this for my First Alert ones -- https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-R.../dp/B0039PF21U and then I can feed it right into this https://www.amazon.com/Universal-ZEN...96LLL1C6&psc=1 and poof z-wave alert with the interconnected units.... I can then have lights go on inside so we get get outside and the outside lights for first responders coming in...
                              I am late to the game and always wanted to setup something like this...

I can just buy the ones that tie into my alarm system, since I have the concord 4 and concord 4 plugin (free) and poof instant smoke detectors with emails, etc...

BUT that does not solve the issue I have with the standard wired smokes. Last night at 1am, our smokes went off and we ran around the house... 2nd floor to 1st floor to basement and nadda...
                              Then I went to bed and 20 minutes later went off again!!!!

not sure what is going on and our smokes are not that old. we have replaced, i believe all of them, within the last 3y and the new wired ones do not have replaceable batteries....

so for this solution... I could just by any plugin style smoke or is there a specific one?
                              where would you put the zooz?my basement is either the first or last smoke and my Homeseer box is on the opposite side of the basement but i can run wires to it if needed.....

just thinking and trying to put things together.

********edited
                              In addition after reading the comments by people for the relay... most are saying they just used a z-wave door/windows sensor for the relay to connect to and that is paired into HS so if it goes off, then that device triggers...

it says that it is 120v ac relay.. so the zwave device can handle that much current? doubt a ds10a could?? if so, could use one of those
                              HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Working...
                              X