hs4 gmail setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hs4 gmail setup

Hi.I can't figure out how to make gmail work.
    Tested my gmail account on my Mac and iPhone and its working.
    Added gmail info including password to HS in Setup email.
    setup a test event but its not sending

Did you add an "app specific password" for your google account? See this post- https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...-domain-solved

Comment

awesome it worked. 2 factor authentication had to be on in gmail get the app password option

Comment

I have recently had issues with the emails/texts coming from gmail not hitting my text message and they are getting refused at the server level. Does anyone have any other solutions for using emails to send yourself text messages? Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 8-30-22 at 5.54 PM.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1564083

Comment

The Gmail-to-SMS non-delivery issue is well documented recently in another discussion on this forum. The only known solution is to use another email provider, I recently switched my Homeseer email sender to an Outlook dot com address and now all my notifications come through and in near real-time.

Comment

Or use something like Pushover, Telegram Messenger, et al, instead of text messaging.
            "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

rjh is this going to get fixed anytime soon? gmail is the go-to for most personal accts

Comment

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
                rjh is this going to get fixed anytime soon? gmail is the go-to for most personal accts
                What's the issue. GMail works with HS4. If you are referring to the GMail to SMS that's a GMail (and other email providers) issue. I do not see this getting fixed as email providers are attempting to cut down on spam and this is a major source.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Email-to-SMS gateways can't die soon enough IMHO. There's already enough problems with spam from gmail and AWS hosted spambots. I certainly don't want that spilling over into text messages. The value of something like Pushover is the relationship approval is managed at both ends by the account holder, so it's self-regulated.
                  "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                    Email-to-SMS gateways can't die soon enough IMHO. There's already enough problems with spam from gmail and AWS hosted spambots. I certainly don't want that spilling over into text messages. The value of something like Pushover is the relationship approval is managed at both ends by the account holder, so it's self-regulated.
                    Amen brother.

Comment

Do you have details on this issue? Is it emails like:

phone_number@vtext.com

I use that with Verizon and its working for me. Is it a specific cell service?

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
                      The Gmail-to-SMS non-delivery issue is well documented recently in another discussion on this forum. The only known solution is to use another email provider, I recently switched my Homeseer email sender to an Outlook dot com address and now all my notifications come through and in near real-time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
                        What is "this", specifically?

Sending email notes from HS4 via Gmail works fine; if you're using two-factor authentication on your Google account, you need to take some extra steps.

Sending text messages via email gateways on VoIP numbers (in general, not just Google Voice) is now severely limited by the new 10DLC requirements from the telecom industry, to reduce SMS spam. Don't even bother trying to send automated text messages from ten-digit numbers. The mobile carriers will block your number.

Comment

rjh email-to-SMS blocking (or at least throttling) is being rolled out by all carriers due to the requirements SteveW noted above. Part of the requirements is for a business to register in order to send text messages. I haven't spent too much time looking at it since Xfinity Mobile started blocking it several years ago.

Comment

Even if HS registered, I am sure that it would only work if the source of the email was us, not a user. So there probably isn't anything we can do about this.

As a side note, I have Xfinity mobile and I tried just now sending a text from Gmail and it still works for me. Not sure why it selectively doesn't work unless the blocks are not rolled out yet in NH.

rjh email-to-SMS blocking (or at least throttling) is being rolled out by all carriers due to the requirements SteveW noted above. Part of the requirements is for a business to register in order to send text messages. I haven't spent too much time looking at it since Xfinity Mobile started blocking it several years ago.

Comment

Practically speaking, the new 10DLC hurdles for an individual user are expensive and not worth the effort. I was using Twilio messaging from a 10-digit number, and they essentially shut me down unless I paid to register a campaign and supplied the related documentation. There are no exceptions for "but, I'm just one guy sending messages from my gizmo to myself."

Comment

Working...
                              X